Sign in to follow this  
RALF9636

4K monitor = larger field of view in P3D?

I found some inconsistent reports regarding this. So any explanations and reports from P3D users who changed from a HD to a 4K Monitor / TV are very welcome.

I'm trying to decide on a new monitor setup for P3D. I almost ruled out a triple monitor setup due to the distortion of one stretched window and the performance hit of three separate windows. So I am looking at  4k TV now. What I want to achieve is to have a larger field of view in the cockpit without having to decrease the zoom factor too much.

On a 1920 x 1080 TV I have to set the zoom factor in the sim to something like 0.5 to be able to see the windshield and the instruments in one view. With a zoom factor of 1.0 I have to pan up and down between the instruments and the windshield.

With a 3840 x 2160 TV will I be able see the windshield and the instruments with a zoom factor of 1.0? Will the 3840 x 2160 resolution provide roughly the same field of view with a zoom factor of 1.0 as I have now with a zoom factor of 0.5? Or is that a misconception?

In other words: In P3D, does the higher screen resolution increase the field of view (with the same zoom factor in the sim) or does the field of view remain the same but with higher details?

And maybe related: Is there any relation or dependence between the screen resolution (1920x1080, 3840x2160) and the sim setting of the "Global Texture Resolution" (1024, 2048, 4096)?

Any thoughts are appreciated.

Hi,

With the same physical size monitor (in cm's/inches) you will have the exact same field of view but with a higher resolution. Depending on your eyesight you will get a sharper picture of the instruments for example. It's the same principle as watching a TV show on a HD TV-set vs watching the same movie on a SD TV-set: you will see the exact same movie with the exact same field of view, but on the HD TV-set you will see more detail if the source is HD and you have good eyesight or when you get close enough to your TV.

The global texture resolution setting has no direct relationship with you monitor resolution. It's specifies the size of the texture sheets used to 'paint' the scene. With a higher resolution monitor you will be able to see more detail depending on your eyesight and the distance between the scenery being 'painted' with this higher resolution texture and your aircraft.

Maarten

Maarten Boelens ([m][a:][R][t][ʏ][n])
Developer of SimLauncherX

ftx_supporter_avsim.gifC172Siggy1_zps11944daf.jpg

27 minutes ago, RALF9636 said:

With a 3840 x 2160 TV will I be able see the windshield and the instruments with a zoom factor of 1.0? Will the 3840 x 2160 resolution provide roughly the same field of view with a zoom factor of 1.0 as I have now with a zoom factor of 0.5? Or is that a misconception?

It is a misconception. At 1.0 zoom The monitor will display 34 horizontal degrees of the P3D world across your monitor regardless of the resolution or physical size of the monitor. If you're trying to avoid distortion you can't win if you want a big display. The bigger it is physically (tall or wide), the more you have to zoom out to keep the image a reasonable size. And the more you zoom out, the more distorted anything far away from the centre will begin to look.

MarkH

gGzCVFp.jpg
Core i7-7700K / 32Gb DDR4 / Gigabyte GTX1070 / 1080p x 3 x weird / Win7 64 Pro

I have a 32inch 4k Acer predator monitor and it's the best investment I made. I upgraded from a 17inch monitor and the difference is amazing. Running at 4k or 2.5k I can clearly read every instrument in my AS a320 airbus without having to zoom in. This includes the engine thrust values.

The best way to see how it will look is to go to a friends house with a 4k tv and ask them to put on a 4k youtube video of prepar3d. That's what I did before purchasing and checked videos of my planes in VC mode to see what I can expect.

On ‎16‎.‎08‎.‎2017 at 8:24 PM, mawibo said:

Hi,

With the same physical size monitor (in cm's/inches) you will have the exact same field of view but with a higher resolution. Depending on your eyesight you will get a sharper picture of the instruments for example. It's the same principle as watching a TV show on a HD TV-set vs watching the same movie on a SD TV-set: you will see the exact same movie with the exact same field of view, but on the HD TV-set you will see more detail if the source is HD and you have good eyesight or when you get close enough to your TV.

The global texture resolution setting has no direct relationship with you monitor resolution. It's specifies the size of the texture sheets used to 'paint' the scene. With a higher resolution monitor you will be able to see more detail depending on your eyesight and the distance between the scenery being 'painted' with this higher resolution texture and your aircraft.

Maarten

On ‎16‎.‎08‎.‎2017 at 8:31 PM, MarkDH said:

It is a misconception. At 1.0 zoom The monitor will display 34 horizontal degrees of the P3D world across your monitor regardless of the resolution or physical size of the monitor. If you're trying to avoid distortion you can't win if you want a big display. The bigger it is physically (tall or wide), the more you have to zoom out to keep the image a reasonable size. And the more you zoom out, the more distorted anything far away from the centre will begin to look.

Thanks for unconfusing me.

7 hours ago, sanh said:

I have a 32inch 4k Acer predator monitor and it's the best investment I made. I upgraded from a 17inch monitor and the difference is amazing. Running at 4k or 2.5k I can clearly read every instrument in my AS a320 airbus without having to zoom in. This includes the engine thrust values.

The best way to see how it will look is to go to a friends house with a 4k tv and ask them to put on a 4k youtube video of prepar3d. That's what I did before purchasing and checked videos of my planes in VC mode to see what I can expect.

Thanks for your report. What zoom factor are you using in the A320? And how far back did you set your eyepoint?

I would indeed highly recommend buying a 4K TV as a monitor for P3D or FSX. I use a Sony 75" 4K and a Sony 43" 4K for my flight simming, and the immersion is incredible. Obviously, the larger the screen, the better. I also use the 4K TVs for my computer monitors apart from flight simming. Again, the results are superb. Two points I would make are 1) the refresh rates of TVs are usually only 60Hz (in the real world) and 2) the available screen resolutions of TVs are not as diverse as a dedicated computer monitor. For example, my own TVs have available resolutions of 1080p and the 4K resolution of 2160. There is no intermediate 1440 resolution available. A 1440 signal is either upscaled or downscaled (but is still displayed beautifully). Nonetheless, a 60Hz refresh rate is still faster than the eye can detect, and I doubt that you (or anyone else) is truly getting a consistently higher fps than 60 anyway. My own recommendation, based on two years' experience with 4K TVs as my flight sim monitors, is to buy the biggest 4K TV you can afford. You certainly can't go wrong with any of the Sony TVs in this regard. With a massive high-resolution screen, you can configure the sim any way you please. In past years, a dedicated computer monitor gave a better, more pristine display than a TV. This is no longer the case. I can literally stick my nose against my 75" 4K TV and still see a perfectly resolute display because our current technology has pretty much matched the resolution of human vision. Just be sure your video card and computer are capable of supporting a 4K output.

David Mills

Huntington, WV

Processor: Intel i9-13900KF 5.8GHz 24-Core, Graphics Processor: Nvidia RTX 4090 24GB GDDR6, System Memory: 64GB High Performance DDR5 SDRAM 5600MHz, Operating System: Windows 11 Home Edition, Motherboard: Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX, LGA 1700, CPU Cooling: Corsair H100i Elite 240mm Liquid Cooling, RGB and LCD Display, Chassis Fans: Corsair Low Decibel, Addressable RGB Fans, Power Supply: Corsair HX1000i Fully Modular Ultra-Low-Noise Platinum ATX 1000 Watt, Primary Storage: 2TB Samsung Gen 4 NVMe SSD, Secondary Storage: 1TB Samsung Gen 4 NVMe SSD, VR Headset: Meta Quest 2, Primary Display: SONY 4K Bravia 75-inch, 2nd Display: SONY 4K Bravia 43-inch, 3rd Display: Vizio 28-inch, 1920x1080. Controller: Xbox Controller attached to PC via USB.

On 8/16/2017 at 11:57 AM, RALF9636 said:

I found some inconsistent reports regarding this. So any explanations and reports from P3D users who changed from a HD to a 4K Monitor / TV are very welcome.

I'm trying to decide on a new monitor setup for P3D. I almost ruled out a triple monitor setup due to the distortion of one stretched window and the performance hit of three separate windows. So I am looking at  4k TV now. What I want to achieve is to have a larger field of view in the cockpit without having to decrease the zoom factor too much.

On a 1920 x 1080 TV I have to set the zoom factor in the sim to something like 0.5 to be able to see the windshield and the instruments in one view. With a zoom factor of 1.0 I have to pan up and down between the instruments and the windshield.

In other words: In P3D, does the higher screen resolution increase the field of view (with the same zoom factor in the sim) or does the field of view remain the same but with higher details?

And maybe related: Is there any relation or dependence between the screen resolution (1920x1080, 3840x2160) and the sim setting of the "Global Texture Resolution" (1024, 2048, 4096)?

Any thoughts are appreciated.

Make sure whatever u get that it will run at 30hz refresh rate for optimal smoothness if u run at 30fps.

Matt Wilson