Sign in to follow this  
delta november

Daily Incidents / Accidents Update

Guest Eternal

Hey all. As part of a research project I have put together a little site that lists all of the previous day's incidents/accidents as reported by the FAA and NTSB. I thought it might be of some interest to everyone on these forums...http://www.wingswatch.comI apologize if this isn't the correct forum for a post like this, I took a look around and this seemed to be the most suitable. I hope you like the site, and any feedback is welcome!

This is a very interesting site, if only because I wasn't aware of how many incidents there were on a daily basis.Several years ago, I was on a business trip in Jackson Hole. As I was getting off of the 733 I was on, I was thrown down into one of the seats by a huge crash. One of the baggage carriers had driven the cart into the aircraft.I was the only passenger left on the aircraft (I was in the tail section and took my time getting off). I learned from the ground crew that the aircraft had to be ferried back to Denver with the pilots on Oxygen due to fear of a compromised fuse.I never found any record of this incident--something I considered more serious than some of those reported on your site. I was lucky not to be hurt, as we were hit with that much force. I've always wondered why the incident was never reported--it caused a cancelled flight, damage to the aircraft, and a bit of stress to wee old me.A couple weeks later, when I was going home, I walked up to the ground crew pretending to be victim of all sorts of "crash induced" ailments. They recognized me since I had chatted with them after the accident, and I heard some good natured expletives about my supposed ailments :)-John

Guest Eternal

Great story!I find it odd that the NTSB doesn't have a record of that either, since it definetly would qualify as an incident and should have been reported to them!You can search their records here, although an open search for Jackson Hole doesn't seem to show any airliner incidents at all.http://www.ntsb.gov/ntsb/

Yep--that's where I conducted my search prior. The incident took place in October/November of 99 (can't recall which month), and it was on a UAL flight inbound from Denver which landed late afternoon--somewhere at home I still have an AMEX receipt for the flight. I know they did not tell the passengers going outbound the truth about the flight, other than it had "mechanical problems".It kind of disturbs me because had I some injury which had surfaced weeks or months later, NTSB would have been unaware of the incident. Or perhaps since it didn't involve action on the aircraft's or pilot's part, another agency investigates? I know I would have words to say with United if I learned this one had been intentionally "swept under the rug". Maybe they forgot I was on board?-John

" Maybe they forgot I was on board?" Or possibly because Jackson Hole sits about smack-dab in the middleof Peter's all time" Super Volcano" they considered the incident to minor to mention, considering that the "real estate" and quite a largearea adjacent to it, will in time, simply evaporate. Oh and BTW did anyone else see that Mt. Saint Helens had a minor burpthe other day...shot an ash plume to FL300. Nothing major mind you. DN

Guest Eternal

Just wanted to bump this post, because we are back online!During the last two months, the FAA has been overhauling their data feed and associated website. During this time, we were unable to receive new accident and incident information, and the information displayed on our website was out of date. The FAA has completed this transition, and we are now receiving timely data. We encourage you to visit the website for the best way to view the latest accident and incident information on the internet.

Nice site but i think it could do with a decent navigation bar on the right, with a calander where you can simply click on the date, and view crashes on that day.

A very interesting idea and site. Please don't take this the wrong way, but 'rough' is the correct spelling, not 'ruff'. No offence whatever intended.http://online.vatsimindicators.net/916312/3.png

Gavin Barbara

Over 10 years here and AVSIM is still my favourite FS site :-)

Guest Eternal

>A very interesting idea and site. Please don't take this the>wrong way, but 'rough' is the correct spelling, not 'ruff'. >No offence whatever intended.No offence taken. I don't type up all those summaries! If I had to do that, the site would never get updated :)Those are taken straight from the FAA. Here's the incident in question, along with their typo:http://www.faa.gov/data_statistics/acciden...ia/M_0812_N.txt

Guest Eternal

>Nice site but i think it could do with a decent navigation>bar on the right, with a calander where you can simply click>on the date, and view crashes on that day.Thanks for the great suggestion. I will get this implemented ASAP.

Guest GeekyFreq

Very interesting!

Guest Eternal

Just thought I'd let you know I've implemented the calendar as you suggested. It definetly helps with navigation.If you have any other ideas let me know.