KevinMM

Step Climb?

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

You get a step climb when you don't have a SID, unless your cruise altitude is too low.  With a SID, you usually get an altitude above the last SID restriction to start with and will get a step climb as you approach that assigned altitude.

Do you understand what a step climb is? On a long haul (777,747) level off at cruise altitude, fly for about an hour burning fuel and getting lighter, then climb higher. Repeat the process a couple more times. 

If I set my flight plan at the first step then when I climb ATC tells me to descend. If I set it for the top and level off ATC tells me to expedite my climb!

7 hours ago, KevinMM said:

If I set my flight plan at the first step then when I climb ATC tells me to descend. If I set it for the top and level off ATC tells me to expedite my climb!

In this case you only need to send a "request higher" to ATC after the initial step, and other steps. ATC will assign a new cruise level without issue. The only limitation I think is that you cannot choose exactly the new level. If I remember correctly it usually gives you 2000 feet above to keep odd/even rule.