Sign in to follow this  
warbirds

Now that I have the Rift

And it has earphones and mike built in I would like to  know what you guys use for voice control (which seems to be a natural for Rift VR)?

I am looking at Voice Attack and MCE and if anyone is using one of these for their Rift please comment.

Paul Grubich 2017 - Professional texture artist painting virtual aircraft I love.
Be sure to check out my aged cockpits for the A2A B-377, B-17 and Connie at Flightsim.com and Avsim library

i-5vbvgq6-S.png

I have used VoiceAttack, but have switched to MCE and I love it a lot. VoiceAttack is for general keyboard control via voice commands for all kinds of games/applications, but MCE is of course specifically built for flight sims only. So there's really no contest between the two, other than the price. There's not much setup required for MCE, but there is a lot to learn at first. And I've been using it around a year and I'm still learning a few new things now and then.

The different MCE voices are a little peculiar at times. Bill sounds like the kind of guy who has maybe been in prison. Lorna sounds like she has at least ten cats. But I like them. I work with a bunch of weirdos anyway, so I don't mind having strange sounding persons as co-pilots.

Ok, I finally got voice attack and mce and love them both. I think voice attack is a bit more flexible and I use it for Elite and Dangerous and some other games.  Mce is great for the pre-made flows for the airliners (747) and flight in general. 

Paul Grubich 2017 - Professional texture artist painting virtual aircraft I love.
Be sure to check out my aged cockpits for the A2A B-377, B-17 and Connie at Flightsim.com and Avsim library

i-5vbvgq6-S.png

On 9/17/2017 at 2:29 AM, warbirds said:

Ok, I finally got voice attack and mce and love them both. I think voice attack is a bit more flexible and I use it for Elite and Dangerous and some other games.  Mce is great for the pre-made flows for the airliners (747) and flight in general. 

Hi Paul, I just saw this post.

MCE is the program of my choice. Anyone can create their very own flows and checklists. Also totally flexible commands can be given, you don't have to read from a "script". Oh and once you have paid, all the future simulated aircraft don't cost a penny! Multi platform and one to one support from the programmer!

Voice Attack for everything else. I use Voice Attack in DCS. Everything in the complex cockpits can be accessed with VA. Macros can be done and you can even have a Clint Eastwood style Firefox if you like...except you don't need to think in Russian..lol!

If I  ever get around to getting a Rift, VA will be my choice.  I even used VA together with MCE in Flight Simulator. You can do mouse macros with VA. So you can click on switches with a mouse macro if you like. 

I used to have Elite on my old PC. I had all the VA profiles for multiple attack macros and routines and had Spock as my computer voice. VA Elite Macros being similar to our "flows" in aviation. But I got bored with Elite, perhaps it would have been better with a Rift? 

Regards

David