Sign in to follow this  
Zimmerbz

Autoland

Yesterday I was flying into ATL and figured the conditions would be favorable for an autoland.  This is my first in this plane after many in the Airbus and I couldn't get it to work.  The ap2 would always disconnect.  I'm not sure what I did wrong as I had both freqs tuned to the ils, both had the runway course on the obs, I clicked app after interception of the ils localizer.   No matter what I did the second autopilot would not stay illuminated and I would stay in single channel mode.  Any thoughts?

Intel Core i7 12700K (5.0GHz Max Boost Clock) 12-Core CPU   32GB G.Skill Performance DDR4 SDRAM 3600MHz       Graphics Processor:12GB Nvidia GeForce RTX 3080 Ti, GDDR6x System   2TB Western Digital, NVMe M.2 Solid State Drive

Hi,

Just an idea : both FDs are on ?

Romain Roux

204800.pngACH1179.jpg

Avec l'avion, nous avons inventé la ligne droite.

St Exupéry, Terre des hommes.

12 hours ago, Zimmerbz said:

I clicked app after interception of the ils localizer

For what it's worth, this is largely a simism. There may be certain operators out there that require this, and there are - situationally - cases in which you'd do this, but this is by no means a requirement for the aircraft itself.

12 hours ago, Zimmerbz said:

Any thoughts?

Both FDs need to be on, both NAV 1 and 2 on the same LOC freq, APP needs to be engaged (by a certain point - I forget where, specifically*), and CMD A and B both need to be engaged.

My guess is that you might not have both FDs on, or you're engaging APP / CMDs after the test point.

*EDIT: From memory, I think there's a self-test somewhere at/around 1500'. If you're past that point, it's not going to land the plane for you. In the words of Maverick: "too close for missiles - switching to guns" (land the plane yourself).

Kyle Rodgers

Both FD's are on, both NAV's are tuned, CMD 1 is on, and I hit APP then CMD2 above 1500' (right around glideslope capture). 

Intel Core i7 12700K (5.0GHz Max Boost Clock) 12-Core CPU   32GB G.Skill Performance DDR4 SDRAM 3600MHz       Graphics Processor:12GB Nvidia GeForce RTX 3080 Ti, GDDR6x System   2TB Western Digital, NVMe M.2 Solid State Drive

Is LOC and GS displayed white (armed) on the FMA when you hit APP?

I guess so but just to ensure you have these modes and not FAC and GP. 

What if you configure everything before intercepting the loc and the glide?

Romain Roux

204800.pngACH1179.jpg

Avec l'avion, nous avons inventé la ligne droite.

St Exupéry, Terre des hommes.

10 minutes ago, Zimmerbz said:

Both FD's are on, both NAV's are tuned, CMD 1 is on, and I hit APP then CMD2 above 1500' (right around glideslope capture). 

Full names in the forum please - first and last.

What kind of equipment is in the aircraft you're using?

Kyle Rodgers

59 minutes ago, Zimmerbz said:

Are both course selectors set to the same course?

This is very strange. Could you post a screenshot(s) of the cockpit at the point just before CMD B disables itself? Someone with sharp eyes might be able to spot something. 

Best regards,

Neal McCullough

I'll try to post a screenshot on my next flight.  I'll try an autoland even if the conditions don't call for it.  It was with the 739 (United)

Brad Zimmer

On 9/13/2017 at 9:26 AM, scandinavian13 said:

What kind of equipment is in the aircraft you're using?

Seconded. You need to be using the right equipment in your aircraft.

In the CDU, press MENU > PMDG SETUP > AIRCRAFT > EQUIPMENT.

• On the first page of the equipment options, make sure you're using the Collins MCP.
  • On the third page, your standby instruments should be the ISFD and not the analog ones.
  • Also on the third page, make sure the autoland is set to FAIL OP.

If you don't meet all three of these requirements, your plane will not be fitted with CATIII autoland capabilities.

Also, on the first page of the equipment options, check to see if "G/S Capture before LOC" is set to allow or deny. If it's set to deny, then it might be safer to use the VOR/LOC hold first, then only swap to APP hold once you've been established on the localizer and the G/S comes live on the PFD. (Not sure if pressing APP right off the bat is still safe, as I've never tried it, so take this with a grain of salt)