Sign in to follow this  
BigJohnA

Import Repaint?

Depends.  FSX handles the alpha channel of the textures differently.  Sometimes it works just fine, sometimes you get mirror-like reflection, sometimes you get transparent sections.  Prop textures from FS9 are the real problem and with the prop turning will display as a black disc, but replacement prop textures can be used and will correct most of the issues.

My computer: ABS Gladiator Gaming PC featuring an Intel 10700F CPU, EVGA CLC-240 AIO cooler (dead fans replaced with Noctua fans), Asus Tuf Gaming B460M Plus motherboard, 16GB DDR4-3000 RAM, 1 TB NVMe SSD, EVGA RTX3070 FTW3 video card, dead EVGA 750 watt power supply replaced with Antec 900 watt PSU.

I think you can but it involves modifying the texture files into some sort of dds format which FSX uses. Although I have been tempted a few times, it's not something that I have ever done, but I'm sure you can find advice on how to do it if you search Avsim or other forums.

Bill

7 minutes ago, BigJohnA said:

Thanks guys. It sounds like something a little over my head. Guess I'll just let it lie.

What repaint and what aircraft?  If it's freeware, I don't mind trying it for you!

• Upvote 1

Charlie Aron

Awaiting the new Microsoft Flight Sim and the purchase of a new system.  Running a Chromebook for now! :cool:

The aircraft is the AlphaSim (now freeware) F-8 Crusader. The paint job is listed as "vf-62.zip".

I haven't been able to locate it here, but I know its available on FlightSim. 

I just recently am attempting to get back into this stuff, haven't even looked at any of it for a number of years. When I saw how much better it is on a new system, I thought I'd try to get everything updated.

The F-8 was my Navy aircraft, and VF-62 was my squadron. The AlphaSim F-8 for FSX is beautiful on its own, but my own squadron colors would make it perfect!

Thanks a bunch for the offer, and if it turns out to be too big of a headache, thanks anyway! 

Charlie, much to my embarrassment, I just discovered that there is more than one version of the F-8 FSX conversion out there, including one that has already done the repaint, so I won't need your help. Once again, thanks for the offer.

The original repaint was done by Russ Smith, and the old email I had on him is no longer in use. 

OK, no problem!  I had the AlphaSim F-8 in my hangar!  I'll test the repaint anyway and report back!

Yep!  Works like a champ!  And from the U.S.S. Shangri la no less!

VF-62Crusader.jpg

Charlie Aron

Awaiting the new Microsoft Flight Sim and the purchase of a new system.  Running a Chromebook for now! :cool: