Sign in to follow this  
smokeyupahead

Install question...

Can Prepar3D be installed on an external usb drive? ... and can addons for it be installed there too? I'm asking because I am running out of space on my main drive where I have Fsx-Se. Also, am I going to have problems running both on the same computer, like registry problems when installing the same addons for the two different platforms?

Thank you,

David

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Well, you can but it would be horribly slow. As to both coexisting - shouldn't be a problem as long as you use the p3d version for p3d and fsx for fsx.

Vic

I wouldn't think so. External USB drives are very slow compared to an on board HDD or SSD.  Vic beat me... same advice.

Does that mean I would have to format my HD and get a bigger one, or can I use an internal SSD and just install it on that? I mean to know if it is ok to install on a HD that doesn't have the OS on it. I guess it would, but a USB option would be just too slow as opposed to an internal SSD, because faster? Thanks

The preferred method is to install it on it's own drive if you have one, SSD or HDD is fine but SSD is faster. USB would be the slowest and altho possible is really not a good solution.

Vic

They're still quite expensive and small, but definitely no usb drive. Thank you!