Sign in to follow this  
himmelhorse

FS2004 IFly 747 freeware vs Payware

Hello all,

I recently went looking for a 747 for FS2004 

I found an IFly 747 as freeware and as I already have the 737 which I love. I thought I was on a winner. However, on downloading and installing I thought the cockpit graphics were average to say the least. In fact I was so disappointed that I have not even flown the lady and in no way does it compare with the 737.

I know that IFly are still selling and supporting the 747 for FS2004 (as opposed to PMDG) and I was wondering if anyone can tell me the following.

1. Is there any difference between the freeware and the payware  IFlyaircraft, and, 

2. If the PMDG one is still available (boxed) is it better than the payware IFly 747 .... graphics, performance and complexity (systems)

I am assuming that these two are the only real contenders particularly as far as complexity is concerned but am willing to look at any other models other than anything from Wilco.

Thanks in advance Guys

Tony Chilcott

Tony Chilcott.

My System. Motherboard. ASRock Taichi X570 CPU Ryzen 9 3900x (not yet overclocked). RAM 32gb Corsair Vengeance (2x16) 3200mhz. 1 x Gigabyte Aorus GTX1080ti Extreme and a 1200watt PSU.

1 x 1tb SSD 3 x 240BG SSD and 4 x 2TB HDD

OS Win 10 Pro 64bit. Simulators ... FS2004/P3Dv4.5/Xplane.DCS/Aeroflyfs2...MSFS to come for sure.

Tony, I had the same aircraft in FS2004, long while ago when I used Fs2004, and IIRC, that iFly offered then was developed by a team in the Far East which is totally different to the product iFly put out for P3D and FSX via Flight1. That's probably whey you are encountering cockpit graphics issues as I did once have their Flight1-sourced 737 in FSX and found no cockpit graphics issues.

The old ifly and new ifly are totally different. I have the ifly 737 and it's really good and seems to push what FS9 can do. From what I see the "new" 747 seems to also push boundaries and looks amazing. I don't think it can be compared to the PMDG they have advanced beyond that. With flight one you get some 30 period so if you do not like it you can uninstall and get your money back as far as I understand.

Thanks mate for that.

For info I just finished reading a thread which stated that the Ifly747 for fs2004 was released nine years after the PMDG and a far better proposition to buy. So that was one query out of the way.

I have to admit that I was actually appalled by the graphics on the freeware and if the Payware release (available now) was no different, I would be very surprised and disappointed. I am now wondering how these guys got away with releasing it as an IFly product and without an incredible amount of fuss from IFly as well. It really was nowhere near the quality of the Ifly 737.

I think I will be buying the payware one fairly soon and I am grateful for your input.

Cheers 

Tony

Tony Chilcott.

My System. Motherboard. ASRock Taichi X570 CPU Ryzen 9 3900x (not yet overclocked). RAM 32gb Corsair Vengeance (2x16) 3200mhz. 1 x Gigabyte Aorus GTX1080ti Extreme and a 1200watt PSU.

OS Win 10 Pro 64bit. Simulators ... FS2004/P3Dv4.5/Xplane.DCS/Aeroflyfs2...MSFS to come for sure.

Domvc10,

Can you tell me if the 30day refund is applicable to a download or only the boxed version?

Cheers

Tony

Tony Chilcott.

Tony, not absolutely 100% sure about the timeframes on that 9 years you mention. I saw that 747-400 iFly(early Far Eastern devs) much earlier than the 747-400 that I bought from PMDG for FS2004.

As regards the refunds, I only know of the online refunds policy as I have only ever bought online product from them, their iFly737 before PMDG released their NGX. Boxed version, sorry, cannot help you on that score.

vc10man,

Thanks.

That 9 year time frame came from the post I was reading. I do not think it referred to the freeware edition.

When I downloaded it, I actually thought it was a freeware release from IFly themselves and as such, I was really looking forward to fling it. I did wonder at the time why they would release it as freware if they were still selling it.

I know the disk version is a little more expensive but I think I would prefer to go down that path. The only problem with that is the fact that I cannot get it into Indonesia without paying duty on it. That (the duty) is never refundable and I learnt this the hard way when I bought a ZOTAC GTX1080ti amp extreme which when it turned up was an 8gb 1080 instead. I sent it back and they refunded the monies in full except (of course) the 300 dollars import tax which I then had to pay again when I requested the right product.  One to remember if it is being sent overseas. Depending on what you buy returning an item can be a bloody expensive excercise.

So I guess my only concern now is that the graphics in the payware is a damn sight better than the freeware from whoever the hell is distributing it.

Thanks again mate

Tony

Tony Chilcott.

Tony, I think the freeware was the one the Chinese/Far East guys were putting out. Then when Flight1 came on board, that particular 747-400 yes, was a great deal long time after the original PMDG 747-400, which is why their latest 747-400m is oft referred to as v3,and was no longer freeware.

I do not have the Flight1 iFly 747-400 but based on their 737, I am fairly sure you will find the cockpit textures are up to standard, but that is a qualified remark, okay.

Thanks again mate.

• I think we should put this to bed now as I will be buying the 747 from IFly in the very near future and I am looking forward to flying it.
  • Thanks for all the responses and it has all contributed to my decision.
  • Regards to all
  • Tony

Tony Chilcott.