Sign in to follow this  
Murmur

The incredible sense of accomplishment...

12 hours ago, greggerm said:

Spend any time up at KPBG? Loved seeing both of those airplanes frequently overhead in the 1980's vacationing as a kid on Lake Champlain. Our place (Isle La Motte) was on what I guess could be called the extended base leg to Rwy 17, and we'd frequently get overflown by the F-111's and KC-135's returning to base after spending time out to the east. I simulate that approach quite a bit as a "desktop" pilot.

It was always a thrill when they decided to fly low and fast... I was out on the lake futzing around in our little boat and got buzzed one summer. Scared the hell out of me, but I absolutely LOVED it.

Even today, the Green Mountain Boys out of KBTV will sweep through in their F-16's nice and low.

Fun times. If you had a hand in any of that up at Plattsburgh, thanks!

Sure did!!! Spent time with the 528th back in the late 80's. Fond memories of PAFB, and glad you enjoyed the air show! 

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, busdriver said:

Sure did!!! Spent time with the 528th back in the late 80's.Fond memories of PAFB, and glad you enjoyed the air show!

Well done, and thanks. Honestly - thanks for being one of the anonymous influences that got me into aviation in the first place. I always loved airplanes (and anything related to the Air Force goes along with that), and those late '80's flyovers were well burned into this 11-12 year old's mind - making me realize that it was real. The job you were doing wasn't yet registering in that kid's mind, but it was cool stuff... and to think it was right there next to me every summer as a kid... 

Even still, we get the occasional summer overflight by the 158th FW, and sometimes I get lucky enough to capture it.

Anyway, I spent some time up in a seaplane last summer in the area and made it a point to fly over to PAFB. One can easily forget just how big the infrastructure needed to be back in the Cold War days. Probably looks a lot like you'd remember - just a bit quieter.  (*but the water tower is down, though)

Sorry to hijack a screenshot post, but this tugged on the emotion of the aviation bug and had to add it in.

Again, thanks.

-Greg

• Upvote 2

My pleasure Greg, and appreciate the story. It made me smile, and amazed at how life can be. You more than likely watched me fly over you, at least once, and here we are 30 years later, on an internet forum about flying. 

Not sure what career path you took in aviation, but wish you continued success.

-Bill