Sign in to follow this  
Nullmajorgamer

FSX:SE Optimization

Hi, I've recently just got FSX and just notice the poor optimization, yes i know its like 10 years old but i thought it would be at least a little bit better then what i got. I got PMDG 777 And now am getting 20-30 fps. While i get 60 fps on GTA 5 Medium - High Settings. Does anybody know how to do a full performance optimization.

PC Specs

CPU: I7 3820 @ 3.6 Ghz (8 Cores)

GPU: Nvidia Geforce GTX 670 (2 GB)

RAM: 16 Gigabytes of Corsair vengeance

Motherboard: Asus Rampage Extreme IV Gene

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Welcome to AvSim.

Most games and sims rely heavily on the graphics card.  The MicroSoft flight sims, however, rely most heavily on the CPU.  My recommendation is to start FSX with AI ground and water traffic set at 0%, AI air traffic should also be set pretty low.  In the scenery settings window, turn off shadows and light bloom, set the scenery sliders to the far left side and slowly increase settings until you find a good balance between smooth performance (don't worry about FPS, you want smooth image rendering) and acceptable visuals and AI traffic.

You might also want to read the basic set up guide, which can be found at the following link.

• Upvote 1

I agree with what stans says. Smooth in FSX or FSX Steam Edition (better, more optimised) can actually be 20-30 fps. This is not a first person shooter, it doesn't need 60fps to be smoooooth. Smooth is the key ;) Incidentally what monitor do you have - it may have some bearing on performance issues.

Turn off the FPS indicator, just go fly and see how you get along. I would suggest that 20-30 fps is actually smooth, but that might be my half century eyes! :cool: