Sign in to follow this  
fr3dm

Is it worth upgrading from i7 2600k to i7 8700k?

2 hours ago, TheFamilyMan said:

Ah, 2006 with my AMD 4200+ X2 running FSX at 15 fps, and how wonderful it all seemed.

NickN has announced that all CPUs since skylake are nothing more than clock bumps, so he's going to show the world on his simforums site that his upcoming delidded 6700k / 1070 gtx build, using a backdoor Win7 install, will be as "current" performance wise for FSX as anything a 8700k could accomplish with the same.  He's hellbent that Win10 is pure doom and gloom for the serious FS enthusiast, hence his justification for this build.

Yes, Nick Needham... It's been awhile.

I remember reading (nearly) every single thing he posted as if Holy FS Scripture (Now that was some amount of reading)!

He knew his stuff, or I didn't, one or the other (or a bit of both). I do seriously question his current take on Windows 10, as I think it is nearly the perfect operating system for P3Dv4. 

One or two of us old guys can sometimes tend to be a bit sticky for the stuff of yesteryear though, but no adverse reflection on anyone else is intended, as I refer only to myself...

Kindest regards,

Stephen

1 hour ago, ahsmatt7 said:

I upgraded from a 2700k to an 8700k and the difference is mind blowing. I'll be doing a write up on my experience sometime today.

Awesome, looking forward to this. 

Mark W   CYYZ      

My Simhttps://goo.gl/photos/oic45LSoaHKEgU8E9

My Concorde Tutorial Videos available here:  https://www.youtube.com/user/UPS1000

4 minutes ago, MarkW said:

Awesome, looking forward to this. 

Go check it out! It's in the prepar3d forum

Titled:

My i7-2700k to i7-8700k upgrade experience!

FAA: ATP-ME

Matt kubanda

For those of you who want to know how my 8700k upgrade went....check out my write up.

• Upvote 1

Matt kubanda

I just changed from Laptop to Desktop, so...

before : I7-4720HQ@2.6 GHz and GTX980

after : I7-8700K@3.7GHz and GTX1080Ti. So not overclocked yet.

Just a quick comparison with most of my Addons loaded and almost identical settings: FSLabs A320, Active Sky, UT Live at 50%, Aerosoft EDDF professional, FTX Global.

fps went from 13-15 to now 40-44.

That's both at 1920*1080. I plan to buy a 4K monitor. Can anyone one give a rough estimate how much fps that might cost ?

Mike

1. A320 home cockpit (FSLabs, Skalarki), P3Dv5  Main PC : I7-12700K, GTX3080Ti

2. FSLabs A3xx, P3Dv5. Gigabyte Aorus 17G YC, I7-10700K, RTX 3080

3 hours ago, mikealpha said:

I just changed from Laptop to Desktop, so...

before : I7-4720HQ@2.6 GHz and GTX980

after : I7-8700K@3.7GHz and GTX1080Ti. So not overclocked yet.

Just a quick comparison with most of my Addons loaded and almost identical settings: FSLabs A320, Active Sky, UT Live at 50%, Aerosoft EDDF professional, FTX Global.

fps went from 13-15 to now 40-44.

That's both at 1920*1080. I plan to buy a 4K monitor. Can anyone one give a rough estimate how much fps that might cost ?

Mike

That's an awesome upgrade!

Not sure how much performance it will cost to go to 4K, but my guess would be very little. I see little difference on my 55 inch smart TV switching to lesser resolutions.

Kind regards,

Stephen

On 08/11/2017 at 10:54 PM, ahsmatt7 said:

For those of you who want to know how my 8700k upgrade went....check out my write up.

If I read your other thread correctly, you're not really comparing apples with apples.

Are you using the same version of Windows? Even if you are, a new install of the OS usually makes a huge difference to general system performance as it doesn't have all the years of accumulated rubbish that an old system has. Also, you've gone from HDDs to SSDs which, again, makes the whole system much snappier. Unless I misread things, you also said that your old system had P3D v3 whilst your new system has P3D v4 which most users seem to think performs better anyway.

Your new system, with twice as much (significantly faster) RAM, much faster storage, a clean OS install and a different (64bit) version of P3D is definitely going to be noticeably faster than you remember your old system being. What it doesn't show is how much of an improvement is down to the new CPU - there are just too many other things that have changed to be able to say convincingly that the new CPU alone has made a "mind blowing" difference.

• Upvote 1

i7-6700k | Asus Maximus VIII Hero | 16GB RAM | MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X Plus | Samsung Evo 500GB & 1TB | WD Blue 2 x 1TB | EVGA Supernova G2 850W | AOC 2560x1440 monitor | Win 10 Pro 64-bit

2 hours ago, vortex681 said:

If I read your other thread correctly, you're not really comparing apples with apples.

Are you using the same version of Windows? Even if you are, a new install of the OS usually makes a huge difference to general system performance as it doesn't have all the years of accumulated rubbish that an old system has. Also, you've gone from HDDs to SSDs which, again, makes the whole system much snappier. Unless I misread things, you also said that your old system had P3D v3 whilst your new system has P3D v4 which most users seem to think performs better anyway.

Your new system, with twice as much (significantly faster) RAM, much faster storage, a clean OS install and a different (64bit) version of P3D is definitely going to be noticeably faster than you remember your old system being. What it doesn't show is how much of an improvement is down to the new CPU - there are just too many other things that have changed to be able to say convincingly that the new CPU alone has made a "mind blowing" difference.

That write up wasn't at all supposed to be a scientific method which compared the two set ups. The thread was explicitly titled "my upgrade experience." Meaning it was just that. My experience.

Some things had to change with the new CPU. Like RAM AND THE motherboard. Csnt get around that.

At the end of the day, I do agree thst it wasn't an apples to apples comparison. It never was meant to be.

I just wanted to show the performance gains thst I saw upgrading my pc.

Most people on these forums are going to be naysayers and say thst the 8700k doesn't do anything for p3d v4.

If you have a 7700k. Probably so. However for someone who has a 2nd generation or even 3rd generation i7...i don't understand how someone wouldn't see an improvement.

Look at the guy 2 posts above yours....he said he tripled performance in a specific scenario he has used before.

I would love to throw my old hard drive in the new computer and fire up p3d v3. If I could I would.....i actually might try that to see if it will even boot to the old drive.

• Upvote 1

Matt kubanda

19 minutes ago, ahsmatt7 said:

That write up wasn't at all supposed to be a scientific method which compared the two set ups. The thread was explicitly titled "my upgrade experience." Meaning it was just that. My experience.

Some things had to change with the new CPU. Like RAM AND THE motherboard. Csnt get around that.

At the end of the day, I do agree thst it wasn't an apples to apples comparison. It never was meant to be.

I just wanted to show the performance gains thst I saw upgrading my pc.

Most people on these forums are going to be naysayers and say thst the 8700k doesn't do anything for p3d v4.

If you have a 7700k. Probably so. However for someone who has a 2nd generation or even 3rd generation i7...i don't understand how someone wouldn't see an improvement.

Look at the guy 2 posts above yours....he said he tripled performance in a specific scenario he has used before.

I would love to throw my old hard drive in the new computer and fire up p3d v3. If I could I would.....i actually might try that to see if it will even boot to the old drive.

I like your enthusiasm for our hobby/pastime/obsession to such an extent that you would invest in a new system and share your joy with us! 

Regardless of what data is measurable and provable your delight is contagious and reminds me that when faced with a decision to either fly or write about flying, I too often choose the wrong thing. 

I trust your enjoyment will continue to get even better than it is now! Thank you for sharing your experience and accounts with us sir! Very appreciated. 

Going flying!

With Kind regards,

Stephen

:cool:

3 minutes ago, SpiritFlyer said:

I like your enthusiasm for our hobby/pastime/obsession to such an extent that you would invest in a new system and share your joy with us! 

Regardless of what data is measurable and provable your delight is contagious and reminds me that when faced with a decision to either fly or write about flying, I too often choose the wrong thing. 

I trust your enjoyment will continue to get even better than it is now! Thank you for sharing your experience and accounts with us sir! Very appreciated. 

Going flying!

With Kind regards,

Stephen

:cool:

Thanks for the kind words. I've been simming since I was 8 and thst was 20 years ago.

I know you are seriously contemplating an upgrade from your 2700k. I hope you really consider my experience. You won't regret it!

Matt kubanda

2 hours ago, ahsmatt7 said:

Please don't get me wrong - I'm not for a moment saying that you won't see a noticeable improvement. I'm just saying that the improvement due to the CPU alone (rather than a combination of all of the possible variables) is not going to be as huge as some may think.

i7-6700k | Asus Maximus VIII Hero | 16GB RAM | MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X Plus | Samsung Evo 500GB & 1TB | WD Blue 2 x 1TB | EVGA Supernova G2 850W | AOC 2560x1440 monitor | Win 10 Pro 64-bit

51 minutes ago, vortex681 said:

Please don't get me wrong - I'm not for a moment saying that you won't see a noticeable improvement. I'm just saying that the improvement due to the CPU alone (rather than a combination of all of the possible variables) is not going to be as huge as some may think.

I guess I misunderstood you. My apologies.

Correct me if I'm wrong...

The SSDs don't really play into actual performance fps wise nor would they on stuttering right?

I figured they would only help in initial loading and maybe prevent against blurry ground textures. However, I could totally be wrong.

As for a new OS? I used the same version of w10 but I agree that the overall performance would be snappier because it's a fresh install.

However, would it truly help with actual performance? i would assume not.

I never took an interest in benchmarking nor have I ever wanted to do a write up before.

I'm not as knowledgeable as Rob A. is on this subject.

Excuse my ignorance and feel free to educate me!

Matt kubanda

Got my 8700k on the way now just picking out a mobo and some DDR4. Looking forward to the upgrade from my 4790k. The move to DDR 4 alone should help.

ATP MEL,CFI,CFII,MEI.