Sign in to follow this  
jcomm

Has 11.10 b5 fixed ground effect and the right rolling tendencies ?

Just asking....

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

My problem doesn't seem to be corrected.  When flying the default C-172 using the GPS, the aircraft flies off in random directions - dragging the red line with it.  Anyone else seeing this?

John

John Wingold

I can confirm when trying to fly AP HDG mode it doesn't hold heading and it seemed to not hold VS, but I didn't spend too much time with the VS since big mama walked in and busted me....ahemmmmm...she was vacuuming

i5-6600K 3.5Ghz OC to 4.5GHz|CorsairH60 Liq Cooler|GA-Z170X-Gaming 7|GTX 1070|G.Skill Trident DDR4-3200 32GB|950 PRO M.2 250GB|850 EVO 500GB|2TB Seagate FireCuda SSHD|FractalDesign R4|Corsair RMx 750W|Win10 64bit Home|MSFS2020

I love the smell of Jet-A in the morning!

Robert Pressley a.k.a. SmokeDiddy

Hadn't tried the heading mode, but when flying NAV mode, it will try to fly off at about a 90 degree angle and drag the line with it.  C-170 only.  The B-58 and, for that matter, all the other aircraft I have tried, fly as programmed.

Yes, I submitted a bug report.

John

John Wingold

2 hours ago, jcomm said:

Just asking....

The right roll is not fixed. Which ground effect bug are you referring to?

• Upvote 1

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D, 6800XT, Ram - 32GB, 32" 4K Monitor, WIN 11, XP-12 !

Eric Escobar

The one that accounts for aircraft rapidly sinking into terrain when near flare height, instead of entering the expected ground effect.

Or the fact that under ground effect, and due to the reduction of induced drag ( as it's main factor ) they should be able to move faster for a constant power setting...

I believe it is related to the new downwash calculations, and since they're mentioned in the update list, I thought that might have been solved ?

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Jcomm, we have worked with austin on this, documented and reviewed the whole ground effect on all aspects.  Pitching moments, lift and drag should all be well inside the ballpark now.  This is extremely complicated stuff and affects different types of aircraft differently depending on geometry, configuration etc.  So what you experience will vary as in real. 

• Upvote 6

1 hour ago, MortenM said:

Jcomm, we have worked with austin on this, documented and reviewed the whole ground effect on all aspects.  Pitching moments, lift and drag should all be well inside the ballpark now.  This is extremely complicated stuff and affects different types of aircraft differently depending on geometry, configuration etc.  So what you experience will vary as in real. 

That is really Great News !

Thx for the info Morten.

Main Simulation Rig:

Update on the GPS tracking problem!

After reading in a post that Ben's statement about saving aircraft in "Plane Maker" was the way to go in 11.10b5 and beyond, I tried it and it works.  My C-172 now follows the line in both the default and the REP version.

I am happy.

John

• Upvote 1

John Wingold

Regarding the rolling moment, at mid-high power settings, I just tested with the G-1000 C172.

Nilled all compensations in Plane Maker ( trim tabs for aileron and rudder set to 0.000, engine lateral cant set to 0.000 degrees, incidence of the vertical stabilizer set to null ) and experimented with a version having the usual CW rotating prop, and then with a fictional CCW C172.

When I set the prop to CCW, the rolling moment reverses - starts rolling left at mid / high power settings...

So it must really be something with the new propwash model.

• Upvote 1

Main Simulation Rig: