Sign in to follow this  
jetsmell

FSX SE not working

After I'm done with the settings page and I'm in the cockpit I get a Microsoft Flight Simulator Message that reads; ' Error Creating Child Window '. If I click on anything in the menu bar another pop up reads; ' An Unsupported Operation Was Attempted '. The Sim freezes, Chase Plane automatically disconnects and then FSX SE disconnects. The Steam Page remains. At first, I thought a recent Windows 10 update was the culprit so that was un-installed with the problem remaining. I deleted the FSX Config. to let it rebuild, but no change. I also have PREPARED v4 but that's working fine on another drive.

I've seen that error mentioned before in other forums (Radeon users only?), so you're not the only one. Try googling the error message and check if the other guys found a solution.

(I'm not affected by the problem.)

7950X3D + 6900 XT + 64 GB + Linux | 4800H + RTX2060 + 32 GB + Linux
My add-ons from my FS9/FSX days

This is caused by the latest Windows Feature update 1709, Microsoft knows about this & is suppose to fix it later this month. There is a topic about it under the PMDG support forum as it is affecting their planes.

Here's the link to the it here   (https://www.avsim.com/forums/topic/522643-issues-with-pmdg-aircraft-and-windows-10-fall-creators-update-build-1709/) 

Steven C

It was the latest Windows 10 update. I uninstalled it and everything is working again. Thank you for your constructive help.

12 minutes ago, jetsmell said:

It was the latest Windows 10 update. I uninstalled it and everything is working again. Thank you for your constructive help.

Glad my advice helped. I had the same problem on my system when Windows download the feature update on my system, however I was not so lucky as the rollback didn't work & the backup failed.

So now I'm waiting for the patch to fix this after doing a full clean install on 1709 then I will make my move from FSXSE to P3D to get rid of the OOM error that have plagued my FSXSE install.

Steven C

6 hours ago, Mach3 said:

There is a topic about it under the PMDG support forum as it is affecting their planes.

Does this only affect PMDG aircraft? I have the Fall Creators Update installed and FSX works without issues.

i7-6700k | Asus Maximus VIII Hero | 16GB RAM | MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X Plus | Samsung Evo 500GB & 1TB | WD Blue 2 x 1TB | EVGA Supernova G2 850W | AOC 2560x1440 monitor | Win 10 Pro 64-bit

7 hours ago, Tom Chai said:

Actually I did. MSDN copy of Windows 10 Pro, only installed Chrome, Steam, Office, Visual Studio as essential software, then completely clean FSX SE and PMDG products only. 

So the issue can be isolated to FSX/Windows UI objects. 

According to one the the latest post in the PMDG support forum as you can see above it, seems to be only PMDG aircraft. 

vortex681 are you running any add-on aircraft in your FSXSE ?

Steven C

1 hour ago, Mach3 said:

vortex681 are you running any add-on aircraft in your FSXSE ?

Yes: A2A, RealAir, Milviz but no PMDG.

i7-6700k | Asus Maximus VIII Hero | 16GB RAM | MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X Plus | Samsung Evo 500GB & 1TB | WD Blue 2 x 1TB | EVGA Supernova G2 850W | AOC 2560x1440 monitor | Win 10 Pro 64-bit

I can only can get FSX-SE working properly with the options settings is by runnng it from a drive other than C. No "unsupported operations" notice. YET.

It was not only effecting PMDG, it was also affecting my A2A Aircraft as well.

I also have the same issue, upgraded to windows 10 creator, got the child windows error. Verified Steam local files. Strange thing, when I loaded a different saved flight, sometimes no error at all.

Does anyone with the problem NOT have any PMDG aircraft installed? Perhaps it is caused by something installed with PMDG products?