Sign in to follow this  
RXP

Reality XP GNS V2 vs X-Plane GPS

Hi,

I've just found this forum with an interesting side-by-side comparison. It is in french but most screenshots are self-explanatory:

http://forum.canardpc.com/threads/47639-simus-Le-topic-des-canards-pilotes-civilisés-Flight-Sim-X-Plane-P3D-AeroflyFS?p=11282333&viewfull=1#post11282333

Thank you Bourrinopathe for showcasing this!

Jean-Luc | reality-xp.com
This message from Reality XP is protected by a disclaimer: reality-xp.com/aboutrealityxp/email.html

Let your voice be heard and help us make a difference for you: Vote !
Open up communications with Reality-XP (Microsoft Flight Simulator Forums)

Looks like something is wrong with Bourrinopathe's X-Plane 530. Mine shows the leg lines and the nearest VOR's and NDB's.

110.jpg

210.jpg

310.jpg

Alvega

CPU: AMD 7800X3D | COOLER: Cooler Master MasterLiquid 240L Core ARGB | GPU: RTX 4070 TI Super 16GB OC | Mobo: ASUS TUF GAMING X670E-PLUS WIFI |
RAM: 32 GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR5 6000MHz PC5-48000 2x16GB CL36 | SSDs: WD Black SN770 2TB NVMe SSD (WIN11), WD Black SN850X SSD 2 TB M.2 2280 PCIe Gen4 NVMe (MSFS), Crucial MX500 2TB (Other stuff) | CASE: Forgeon Arcanite ARGB Mesh Tower ATX White | Power Supply: Forgeon Bolt PSU 850W 80+ Gold Full Modular White 

That's interesting. I was surprised my VOR and NDB pages were empty with Laminar Research GNS.
I'm using the latest Navigraph AIRAC cycle 1711.

I just checked again and the nearest NDB page is still empty.

55455508e3a4c3f7fac4f5505a90071f.jpg

The VOR and the map pages look OK now. No idea what went wrong.
I was just comparing both instruments, in the same aircraft, with the same flight plan, at the same time, at Twentynine Palms (KTNP).

X-Plane 530/LR GNS 530 - nearest VOR page:e1c4e1bc8167c04e70c45dfd76833f9f.jpg

RXP GNS 530 - nearest VOR page:4e6d78685b8f89345db7917bf89bf75e.jpg

LR GNS 530:f65501a9eba9c03e573ecdd212d4cae5.jpg

RXP GNS 530 (different flight plan, same map scale (50nm)):
eb4cf024a022299e5caa9299589c7697.jpg
For whatever reason the scale is off on the GNS from LR - the distance between the aircraft symbol and the top of the blue arc is roughly 30 nm, not 50 (that airport by the 150° marking is Chiriaco Summit Airport (KL77), which is 30 nm away from KTNP).

With the same measurement method (using Google Earth) the GNS from RXP looks accurate (distance from the aircraft symbol to the top of the blue arc equals 50 nm).
I didn't check other scales.

Here's another comparison:

edc1cf38bbc74d40f13d04c3d39a3e03.jpg

a0c58e56fa83dd340779aceb83d1371d.jpg

Overall the RXP GNS is also a great improvement when it comes to readability.

Another very useful page that doesn't exist in the LR GNS is the terrain proximity page:

1fba1ab1115c1f2654524faeed2d3295.jpg

This one alone is a wonder if you're used to fly in Alaska or any remote areas with nasty weather ;)

Of course, those few pictures I was showing are far from highlighting the differences between the two instruments.
I was just sharing first impressions on that French forum.
The RXP GNS capabilities are far beyond what could be shown in a bunch of forum posts ;)
Diving into the Garmin user manual or testing the trainer would give a better understanding of the numerous features.
I'm still overwhelmed by all it has to offer (and actively melting a few neurons in the process) :biggrin:

Edited by Bourrinopathe
more info and pictures

Hi,

I shall add another difference worth noting: the bezel width / height ratio is the same as the real GNS, and when the gauge renders at ½ of its design size (which is ½ of the size of the bezel bitmap in pixels), the RXP GNS screen pixels renders at a scale of 1:1 with your monitor pixels (no rescale)

The same applies to our GTN.

• Upvote 1

Jean-Luc | reality-xp.com
This message from Reality XP is protected by a disclaimer: reality-xp.com/aboutrealityxp/email.html

Let your voice be heard and help us make a difference for you: Vote !
Open up communications with Reality-XP (Microsoft Flight Simulator Forums)