Sign in to follow this  
rspring94

How to flare in the TDS 787?

Hi, I'm still here.

I still hold hope that there will eventually be a solution.

Any help is greatly appreciated. :)

Recent Flights:

18-5-2018

QF147: SYD-AKL (ZK-ZQG)

27-5-2018

EK413: CHC-SYD (A6-EUI)

r22s7 - I'm sorry not to get back to you sooner. I downloaded a freeware 787-8 from Flightsim.com, file 78uaco_x.zip, one of my nicer downloads! If that suits your needs and you want more, I also have the 787-9 and 787-10. I think for now, you will enjoy the United 787-8!

Enjoy and happy flying! - Rick

4 hours ago, RGus said:

r22s7 - I'm sorry not to get back to you sooner. I downloaded a freeware 787-8 from Flightsim.com, file 78uaco_x.zip, one of my nicer downloads! If that suits your needs and you want more, I also have the 787-9 and 787-10. I think for now, you will enjoy the United 787-8!

Enjoy and happy flying! - Rick

I much prefer the TDS 787, and I am also going to ask on their Facebook group, when they eventually add me (been waiting almost 3 days).

Like I said before, I haven't seen anyone else with this problem, which makes me think I am doing something wrong.

Recent Flights:

18-5-2018

QF147: SYD-AKL (ZK-ZQG)

27-5-2018

EK413: CHC-SYD (A6-EUI)

Good luck with the TDS, if that doesn't work and you want a nice flyable freeware download, you have that option above.

Rick

HI r22s7, I saw your post while I too, was looking for a solution. I had the same problem as you. The TDS B787-8's front gears  would slam down almost at the same time as the main gears and it was very annoying.  I have found a solution and thought that I'dd share it with you caus I just love to fly this airplane and it looks like you too.

I found the info on a text file called AUTOLAND read me.txt that I found into one of the airplane folder. This is what it said:

This is an autoland gauge for various aircraft.

Published with permission from: 
Stefan Liebe who is the original author.
Francois Dore who developed it furhter.
I have just adopted it to the various parameters of each aircraft.

INSTALLATION

Very easy, just copy the folder "autoland" from the corresponding aircraft and paste it to the panel folder of your aircraft.

Then edit your panel.cfg file, found inside your aircraft's panel folder, like this:

under [Window00] (or whichever it is for "main panel") find the last gauge and after it add the following:

gaugexx=autoland!A_AUTOFLARE,  0,0,0,0 

Change the "xx" into the next availble number, so that every gauge has a "+1" number in the sequence of numbers.

OPERATIONS

[REMEMBER the following apply ONLY for ILS approaches with the "approach" button activated. They DO NOT apply when handflying the aircraft
or when you approach by inserting inputs to the autopilot (heading, vertical speed). So if you handfly or manipulate with autopilot inputs 
even an ILS approach (by just following the ILS signals (Localiser, Glideslope)) the following do not apply.]  

Like in real life, this one operates in order to fully autoland (ILS CAT II & III) your aircraft. Autoland provides a good (some may say fair) touchdown but not the best possible (even in real life). If you want a really smooth touchdown you have to do it manually. 
During ILS approaches, after establishing the usual settings (com frequency, course, approach active etc.) for an ILS approach
set your speed, arm speed brakes, auto brakes (if you want) and then wait till the aircraft touches down. You don't have to activate the gauge because it is active by default.
You will observe the nose going up slightly (at about 30 ft AGL) for a smooth touch down (the front landing gear following), the autothrust being disengaged (about 20-15 ft AGL),
and at 50 knots the autopilot being disengaged.

If you wish to disengage the autopilot at your own and hand fly the aircraft till touch down, the gauge will just disengage the autothrust, so you do not have to adjust thrust. 
If you disengage the autothrust,  the gauge will still bring the thrust levers to idle the same way it does when fully functional (about 20-15 ft AGL). 
However if you feel that you still need some power before touching down you can eigher hit "F3" default button or use your thrust levers if you have some hardware for flying (e.g. Logitech's set, or a joystick with thrust manipulation etc.). 
BEWARE that whatever you do the thrust will be brought to idle anyway (about 20-15 ft AGL) - your application of thrust will take place immediately after. 
This way you can have autoland performed by the gauge while you manipulate the thrust.

TIP: if you want to manually land at an ILS approach and want to manipulate pitch and thrust at your own until touchdown, then you have to FIRST deactivate "approach" (by clicking/unselecting the "approach" button - which in effect disengages the autoland gauge)
and THEN deactivate the "autopilot" (by default "Z" button on keybord) and the "auto-thrust" (by default "Ctrl + R" buttons on keybord). This way you choose when to lift nose and bring thrust to idle at an ILS approach. 
I recomend this way instead of trying to apply power after the system has put the thrust levers to idle.
However this way you cannot have autoland performed by the gauge, you have to do the landing completely manually. 

Make sure you keep right attitude for each aircraft approaches for landing, i.e. how high is the nose during approach and touch down.
Here is the necessary info on this:

Boeing

Usually boeing aircraft approach at about 1.0 - 2.5 degrees nose up and touch down at about 2.5 - 4.0 degrees nose up.
B787 is different with 1.0 - 1.5 degrees for approach and 2.5 - 3.5 degrees touch down (very much like the B777).

So when approaching you should set your speed so that at the usuall descent rate (of about 600-800 ft/min) your aircraft has the correct attitude.
This will allow for a smouth touch down either this is performed in autoland mode, or handflying. 

If you are not so comfortable with landings then by using this gauge you will be able to observe how the autopilot handles the aircraft
and you will be able to apply what you will have seen (attitude, pitch, when to lift nose, how fast, when to stop lifting nose etc.) in manual mode.

You can use any one of these files for any other aircraft at your own risk, but remember that each one of them has been modified for the particular aircraft it was intented.

Enjoy your blind, zero visibility landings!

Dimitrios Moschos

P.S. Feel free to use, change, modify, upload with another pack etc. no need to ask for permission. Don't make money out of it and mention my name. 

So what I did, I did a landing manually. In order to do this and have complete control of the aircraft, you have to make sure that your autopilot, your autoThrottle, APP and or LOC are all turned off. This is what I did and I have a perfect landing with a landed rate of -156 fpm. I have yet to try the autoland to see how it does.

I hope this help!

MarioR

Edited by charliearon
removed email address

On 8/5/2018 at 3:23 PM, MarioR said:

Usually boeing aircraft approach at about 1.0 - 2.5 degrees nose up and touch down at about 2.5 - 4.0 degrees nose up.
B787 is different with 1.0 - 1.5 degrees for approach and 2.5 - 3.5 degrees touch down (very much like the B777).

Some time ago I did some flight testing with the 788 based on this information. Sadly, I don't remember well the pitch, and the spreadsheet where I did the calculations was corrupted. But I still keep the results:

Landing weight:Vref20/Vref25/Vref30

130 tonnes: 157/136/132

172 tonnes (MLW): 182/157/154

Obviously, these values shouldn't be used for landing a real 787 (or even the QW one 😋). Hope this helps.

Edited by Luis Hernandez

Best regards,
Luis Hernández 20px-Flag_of_Colombia.svg.png20px-Flag_of_Argentina.svg.png

Main rig: self built, AMD Ryzen 5 5600X with PBO enabled (but default settings, CO -15 mV, and SMT ON), 2x16 GB DDR4-3200 RAM, Nvidia RTX3060 Ti 8GB, 256 GB M.2 SSD (OS+apps) + 2x1 TB SATA III SSD (sims) + 1 TB 7200 rpm HDD (storage), Viewsonic VX2458-MHD 1920x1080@120 Hz, Windows 10 Pro. Runing FSX-SE, MSFS and P3D v5.4 (with v4.5 default airports).

Mobile rig: ASUS Zenbook UM425QA (AMD Ryzen 7 5800H APU @3.2 GHz and boost disabled, 1 TB M.2 SSD, 16 GB RAM, Windows 11 Pro). Running FS9 there... sometimes on just battery! FSX-SE also installed, just in case. 

VKB Gladiator NXT Premium Left + GNX THQ as primary controllers. Xbox Series X|S wireless controller as standby/travel.