Recommended Posts

Hey guys,

 

I have a bit unusual question. I have P3Dv4 installed on HDD (E:), well, I decided to do so since was empty and clean...and yes I've seen recommendation about SSD (G:) but still. Anyhow, now I bought my second SSD and plugged in and tried to clone my HDD (non OS (E:)) that contains P3Dv4 to newly bought SSD (G:), Well, Samsung Magician doesn't want to do that since there is no OS on it. I was doing some research and found that I could simple move whole folder and that would be sufficient for game or everything else since it does not need any alignments etc...Am I doing right thing or there is something I can use to transfer whole LM folder from drive to drive?

Thanks

Share this post


Link to post
Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

9 minutes ago, cyyzrwy24 said:

Hey guys,

 

I have a bit unusual question. I have P3Dv4 installed on HDD (E:), well, I decided to do so since was empty and clean...and yes I've seen recommendation about SSD (G:) but still. Anyhow, now I bought my second SSD and plugged in and tried to clone my HDD (non OS (E:)) that contains P3Dv4 to newly bought SSD (G:), Well, Samsung Magician doesn't want to do that since there is no OS on it. I was doing some research and found that I could simple move whole folder and that would be sufficient for game or everything else since it does not need any alignments etc...Am I doing right thing or there is something I can use to transfer whole LM folder from drive to drive?

Thanks

Can’t do that, you’ll have to reinstall P3D onto the new drive manually. Copying files doesn’t work, believe me I’ve tried...

Share this post


Link to post

It depends if the new SSD will replace your current HDD (E) or if you are just adding the SSD to your system.

If replacing the HDD with the SSD, then you can copy the content of your (E) drive to the SSD, assuming that the size of your SSD is big enough. Then, shutdown your computer,, remove the old HHD, restart the computer and go in device manager to make sure that your new SSD is assigned the letter (E). If not, make it (E).

If you are adding the SSD to your system, it will then have its own drive letter and moving your P3D folder to it will not work, as John Moore has stated.

So, what is your intention ? Replace or add the SSD ?

What else do you have on your current (E) drive ?

Share this post


Link to post

I was planing adding......I did copied but opens last position. Old folder (original) I didn't touched, just copied to see whats happening. Now when I try original it just goes to last scenario...It doesn't load home screen with default vehicle, scenarios, etc...What did I screwed I have no idea....No I am mad doing this...

I am able to load from menu bar, but Sim does not load to main page.....:blush:

Share this post


Link to post
7 minutes ago, cyyzrwy24 said:

I was planing adding......I did copied but opens last position. Old folder (original) I didn't touched, just copied to see whats happening. Now when I try original it just goes to last scenario...It doesn't load home screen with default vehicle, scenarios, etc...What did I screwed I have no idea....No I am mad doing this...

I am able to load from menu bar, but Sim does not load to main page.....:blush:

After you move everything over to your new SSD, change the drive letter back to your old one and everything should be good.

Share this post


Link to post

Having copied your P3D folder to your new SSD does not break anything because when you start P3D, the shortcut for it still launches the simulator on your (E) drive (unless you changed some other config files elsewhere).

Is your current HDD (E) containing only P3D related stuff ?

Share this post


Link to post

Yes it does....but now as I said doesn't load main screen....goes straight to active runway and default vehicle, so I am unable to do my own scenario. | could choose it thru menus but where did my "welcome" screen go...? LOL

I didn't deleted anything fro (E:) just copied....

Share this post


Link to post
3 minutes ago, NBouc said:

Having copied your P3D folder to your new SSD does not break anything because when you start P3D, the shortcut for it still launches the simulator on your (E) drive (unless you changed some other config files elsewhere).

Is your current HDD (E) containing only P3D related stuff ?

Yes it does....

Share this post


Link to post

Master reset worked.....Now...question still remains, how do I flip to SSD. Copying to SSD (G:) and than rename it to (E:)? And E: to something else?

Share this post


Link to post

Alex, before giving you a recommendation, I need to know if physically, your new SSD can contain everything that is on your current HDD (E). Because if it is the case, we can copy the whole (E) drive to your SSD (G), which could take a few hours to perform, and then reassign the drive letters so that the SSD becomes your new (E) and your old HDD becomes (G) or (H). You can then use your old HDD for storage (after reformatting it to erase what's on it).

 

Share this post


Link to post

Ok...I think I know what you mean by that. Old HDD 1TB (E:) is bigger and contains P3Dv4, there are few other files and downloads totaling about 120 GB. New is 500GB (SSD G:) and have some 64GB on it and 387 free space.So all would fit. Right? Would than all work?

Sorry to bug you

Share this post


Link to post

So if I read you correctly, copying the content of your current HDD (E) will add 120GB to the existing 64GB of the SSD, for a total of 184GB, which fit perfectly on a 500GB SSD.

On your SSD, is the 64GB taken by softwares that you installed or is it only data files ? (because if it is software, they will no longer work after the switch because the SSD will no longer be (G).

 

Share this post


Link to post

Correct...that's fine I don't need them nor I can delete them for some reason....

Share this post


Link to post

Alex, I gotta go and I'll be away for the next 2 days.

But you seem to understand the basic idea for puting P3D on your SSD, which is:

- Copy what is on your HDD to your SSD.

- In device manager, reassign the drive letters to make the HHD (H), this frees the letter E.

- Assign the now free letter E to your SSD.

- You can then change your HDD to (G) if you prefer that.

 

When all is done, you can erase or reformat your old HDD and use it for storage (downloads, etc..)

Everything you previously installed for P3D (Scenery, aircrafts, etc...) will still come out of the (E) drive, but now it is a SSD instead of mechanical HDD, much faster loading.

 

I wish you well.

Share this post


Link to post

Thanks Normand very much....I am tired as well tonight and will continue that operation tomorrow after work. Should be straight forward since cloning is not necessary. Someone might jump with other advice as well. Have a good night and thank you very much.

 

Cheers

Share this post


Link to post

Use partition magic it copies any partition plus offers other nice tricks.

Simbol 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
5 hours ago, simbol said:

Use partition magic it copies any partition plus offers other nice tricks.

Simbol 

Partition Magic? Thanks I will google it....I was trying to stay away from some software available, but if you have tried than ok.

I can't clone it obviously since there is no OS on it, I just need to copy whole content including LM folder. So hopefully does that.

Thanks Simbol

Share this post


Link to post

Wish I had seen this thread sooner to jump in - as Simbol suggested, cloning your disk is the way to go and is infinitely easier than the other options. Partition Magic is excellent, as is Aomei Partition Assistant (your new SSD should also have a software download migration software...). Run the cloning, shut off the system, swap the drives and you're done.

Edit: you don't need an OS on the drive to clone.

 

Share this post


Link to post
26 minutes ago, DylanM said:

Wish I had seen this thread sooner to jump in - as Simbol suggested, cloning your disk is the way to go and is infinitely easier than the other options. Partition Magic is excellent, as is Aomei Partition Assistant (your new SSD should also have a software download migration software...). Run the cloning, shut off the system, swap the drives and you're done.

Edit: you don't need an OS on the drive to clone.

 

 

Thanks Dylan but unfortunately, Magician does not give you option to clone non OS HDD to non OS SSD. Only with OS. So reading thru the Forums I find that it is not good to just copy and move files. But as it turns, if you format new Drive, make copy to it from another drive, assign same letter as the old one would do the trick. I am at work now but will try Partition Assistant latter this afternoon.

But as far as I can see it has clone option, but if it allows me to do so than should be the same I assume. I am still searching thru this Forum but nothing similar was reported or that is so easy that nobody had a problem doing that.

If you have more information on that please share.....

Thanks

Share this post


Link to post
33 minutes ago, cyyzrwy24 said:

Thanks Dylan but unfortunately, Magician does not give you option to clone non OS HDD to non OS SSD. Only with OS. So reading thru the Forums I find that it is not good to just copy and move files. But as it turns, if you format new Drive, make copy to it from another drive, assign same letter as the old one would do the trick. I am at work now but will try Partition Assistant latter this afternoon.

But as far as I can see it has clone option, but if it allows me to do so than should be the same I assume. I am still searching thru this Forum but nothing similar was reported or that is so easy that nobody had a problem doing that.

If you have more information on that please share.....

Thanks

I have used partition magic to clone HDD and SSD for servers, also to repair problems with partitions for servers.

Simbol 

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now