Sign in to follow this  
caleb1

Orbx Lanceair in P3D v4

Does anyone have any experience using the Orbx Lancair IV-P in P3D v4?  I know it is not officially compatible, but most FSX and P3D v1-3 addons work in v4, so I thought I'd ask.

Thanks.

Caleb Byers

PC: HP Envy 750, Intel Core i7 6700 @ 3.4 GHz (max 4.0 GHz), 24GB RAM, Nvidia GeForce GTX 745 with 4GB Memory, 2TB SSHD Windows 10 Home 64 bit.

Simulators:  Prepar3D v3.4, Prepar3D v4.5, FSX:SE, FSX:Gold Edition

Using the FSX Deluxe Edition SDK SP2 for development.

It's a 32 bit product that won't work in a 64 bit P3D. If it doesn't crash P3D4, there will be gauges that fail to display.

@caleb1

A fellow user here on AVSIM requested my GTN750 integration for the Orbx Lanceair, for use in P3Dv4.   I advised I'd not tried the aircraft (nor the mod) in P3Dv4 yet so wasn't sure if it would work.

He reported back that the Lanceair worked fine in P3Dv4.

@Pease_W - Migration of addons from FSX to P3Dv4 is not that "black or white", and there are many aircraft developed for FSX that function perfectly in P3Dv4.  

As I type, I'm flying the old FSX Carenado C210 (released c.2010) in P3Dv4 and it functions perfectly.

Bill

UK LAPL-A (Formerly NPPL-A and -M)

3 hours ago, JYW said:

@caleb1

A fellow user here on AVSIM requested my GTN750 integration for the Orbx Lanceair, for use in P3Dv4.   I advised I'd not tried the aircraft (nor the mod) in P3Dv4 yet so wasn't sure if it would work.

He reported back that the Lanceair worked fine in P3Dv4.

@Pease_W - Migration of addons from FSX to P3Dv4 is not that "black or white", and there are many aircraft developed for FSX that function perfectly in P3Dv4.  

As I type, I'm flying the old FSX Carenado C210 (released c.2010) in P3Dv4 and it functions perfectly.

Thanks.

I have used addons that are not even P3D v1 compatible (only for FSX) in P3D v4 and they work fine, so that's what made me think the Lancair would work.

Thanks.

Caleb Byers

PC: HP Envy 750, Intel Core i7 6700 @ 3.4 GHz (max 4.0 GHz), 24GB RAM, Nvidia GeForce GTX 745 with 4GB Memory, 2TB SSHD Windows 10 Home 64 bit.

As long as you're careful in bringing across the right gauges and effects, it does work. I've got the Lancair working in P3dv4. Some gauges like the Hobbs gauge, won't work properly as they are 32bit dlls. Of course, this isn't supported by ORBX and is totally at your (my) own risk!

In general for migrating FSX-era aircraft into P3Dv4:

• If the gauges use CAB files or 'unpacked' XML gauges - they will work
  • If the gauges use GAU or DLL files - you're out of luck, they won't work. If they control something critical, the whole aircraft wont work. (Eg, ORBX Vans RV4 - you can't refill the oil)
  • Copy all effects required
  • If the aircraft was modelled prior to FSX:Acceleration (ie, pre-DX10) or is stated to be DX9 only - the visual model probably wont work.
  • DON'T copy stuff into your P3Dv4 main folder. I REPEAT - DON'T. You will probably do something horrid requiring reinstall.
  • Learn how P3Dv4 structures it's addons, and google "P3dv4 Addon Organiser" - download that, read the help file, and transfer away!

I've got the airliners, the Lear and almost all the aircraft except the F18 :sad: working in P3D. Not that I want all of them mind you; just fooling around to see how things work.

And yes, I have reinstalled P3Dv4 about 4 times in the past two weeks after I screwed something up! You've been warned!

• Upvote 1

Thanks @corinoco .  I will be sure to keep these things in mind.

Thanks

Caleb Byers