Sign in to follow this  
Ted Striker

The ATR 72-500

I have some questions about this addon plane. 1) Does the boxed version contains any printed documentation?2) I have read the manual is over 500 pages. Why is it so? It might be a complex plane but so are many other with <500 pages manuals.3) Has it a steeper learning curve compared to other complex addon planes?4) How is its FMC? Similar to LD767 or PMDG 737 or very different if so how?

Guest DreamFleet

I'll just answer this one:"2) I have read the manual is over 500 pages. Why is it so? It might be a complex plane but so are many other with <500 pages manuals."Because the real manual is WELL over 500 pages (as is the case with many aircraft such as this), and I decided to give customers as much "bang for the buck" as possible, which means some educational reading if you so desire (that never hurts, does it?). In reality, if you purchased the manual from ATR, I believe it would cost you over $1500. You get pretty close to having the real manual, and all for only $34.95.Ultimately, you need only print out the parts that you need, as one can do with any PDF document. :-)Regards,http://www.dreamfleet2000.com/gfx/images/F...R_FORUM_LOU.jpg

>I have some questions about this addon plane. >3) Has it a steeper learning curve compared to other complex>addon planes?I don't think it's a massively steep learning curve, but it does reward reading the manual, and perhaps reading the FAQ forum over at flight1.I really like it BTW.

Because it is a turboprop, the systems/pilot interactions are more complex than a modern glass cockpit jet. The learning curve is high but not steep in my opinion and well worth the time. The FMC has fewer functions (as in the real world) but will deliver you to the runway threshold of any location in most any weather. The FMC is straight forward and easy to learn and use. The climb and descent phases are controlled via vertical speed with the pilot controlling speed. You gotta fly this one! :)IMHO the F1 ATR shares the top spot with four other aircraft as the best (ever) for FS. If you enjoy learning new systems and procedures then the ATR will satisfy you. The level of detail (hotel mode, de-ice etc.) and fidelity is exceptional and highly recommended. Bob...

>2) I have read the manual is over 500 pages. Why is it so? It>might be a complex plane but so are many other with <500 pages>manuals.As Lou says, this is a very complete document...it includes more than one tutorial flight written to the checklist item level, which is to say that you can sit with the manual on your lap and each tutorial will walk you through an entire flight without need for flipping pages back and forth. The manual is VERY comprehensive.>3) Has it a steeper learning curve compared to other complex>addon planes?I found it easy to transition to the ATR, but then I've been simming for more than twenty years, and I took a couple evenings to read the manual before I tried my first flight. I tend to do this with every complex add-on I've purchased, and I strongly recommend that others do so, too. >4) How is its FMC? Similar to LD767 or PMDG 737 or very>different if so how?I think the FMC is similar to the Level-D and PMDG FMCs up to and including the initials "FMC". Okay, that's an exaggeration, but you're comparing apples and oranges here. PMDG and Level-D have modeled the Boeing FMC, and the ATR FMC is just different. It performs many of the same functions, but the "buttonology" is different, and it may take some time to get used to the differences. The FMC (as are all the systems) is very well modeled, and I'm sure you'll be pleased with its fidelity.I don't have the boxed version, but considering that the manual consists of 500+ pages, I wouldn't expect there to be very much paper in the box.That said...go ahead and get this airplane...it's wonderful, and a ton of fun to fly!

Best Regards,

Kurt "Yoda" Kalbfleisch

Pinner, Middx, UK

Beta tester for PMDG J41, NGX, and GFO, Flight1 Super King Air B200, Flight1 Cessna Citation Mustang, Flight1 Cessna 182, Flight1 Cessna 177B, Aeroworx B200

>Ultimately, you need only print out the parts that you need,>as one can do with any PDF document. :-)>The parts I need? Does this imply I can get up flying by reading only part of the manual (I have done so with every addon plane I have except these with very short manuals).

>I don't have the boxed version, but considering that the>manual consists of 500+ pages, I wouldn't expect there to be>very much paper in the box.>I'm fully aware that the complete manual won't fit in the box. But still there could be part of the documentation.>That said...go ahead and get this airplane...it's wonderful,>and a ton of fun to fly!>Yes I have heard a lot of good things about and have been considering a plane similar to PMDG B1900 but a more complete simulation.

Guest martin842

The manual is 481 pages long. Pages 1 to 188 describe the plane's systems, and are essential reading. Pages 189 to 401 are a reprint of part of the real aircraft's manual, and can be skipped altogether. Pages 402 to 481 are the tutorial flights.This was the first add-on plane that I purchased, so I was starting from absolute zero on the learning curve, but I found it relatively straightforward to get to grips with. I read most of pages 1 to 188 once, and about one-third of the tutorial pages, and this was enough to get me weell used to the aircraft.Once you have learnt the ATR, you simply *must* get FS2Crew as well.There is no printed material at all in the boxed version of the ATR.Happy flying!Martin

Don't walk. Run. Get the plane.. you have waited too long IMO.:)This is one heck of an aircraft and pure joy to fly... . I still haven't figured out the FMC and Autopilot. I hand fly this sucker...and enjoy every minute of it. IMO, the finest VC there is... Recently on my trip to Bonair, I flew from San Juan (PR) to Flamingo Bonair on an ATR-72 500 (American Eagle). I had my eyes glued to the plane...and Boy! did I enjoy the crummy cramped seating in it. There was a diminutive 5 foot cutie with a pony tail as the co pilot on the trip back from Bonair to Puerto Rico.. I am serious. :)Manny

Manny

Beta tester for SIMStarter 

its a great addon but my only complaint is the night lighting in the VC. no backlit gauges and ability to turn off panel lights. But other than that, great high quality addon. With just a basic knowledge of other airplanes I was able to start her from cold and dark and fly

Maybe this will put you at ease. I got the boxed version, have been flying it sucessfully and haven't read one page of the manual yet. Flys great, there's just a lot of beeping going on in the cockpit.:-) I intend to read the manual one of these days...as soon as I'm proficient in Dreamfleet 727. Had it for 6 months and I'm still working on my type rating. I like to learn one complex aircraft completely before moving on to the next, but the boy in me isn't that patient when comes to trying out different planes.My point is that you can fly these aircraft with minimal reading of the manuals if you want ( just enough to get the alarms silenced ). Or if you are an anal engineer like myself, you can spend many hours learning all the systems and how the real aircraft work. That's why this hobby is so addicting.OK...now how does that air cycle machine cool the cabin for the passengers...?

3770k@4.5 ghz, Noctua C12P CPU air cooler, Asus Z77, 2 x 4gb DDR3 Corsair 2200 mhz cl 9, EVGA 1080ti, Sony 55" 900E TV 3840 x 2160, Windows 7-64, FSX, P3dv3, P3dv4