Sign in to follow this  
Dragonmount

What exactly is REX Skyforce 3d?

The description doesn't really give me much of an idea. Is it a weather engine, or just a texture redo for the clouds and weather of FSX?

Basically after you cast aside all the marketing flim-flam it does the same thing as ASCA but includes a basic (and optional) weather engine.

It replaces cloud models and textures and enables some additional weather phenomenon depictions.

I think it does some other things with thr sky textures but I can't work out between all the hyperbole what exactly 

ckyliu, proud supporter of ViaIntercity.com. i5 12400F, 32GB, GTX980, more in "About me" on my profile. 

support1.jpg

I think with the combination of AS16 and ASCA you get "live" injection of different cloud textures that suit the current weather situation.  So if you leave Boston  with weather A you get a specific cloud textures but when arriving at London with different weather the cloud textures are changed.  If you use any other cloud textures then this feature of AS16 does not work and you have the same cloud texture set throughout the flight.  This is my understanding of how AS16 and ASCA work, I would love to know if this is actually correct or not when you use ENVEX or Skyforce or any other cloud texture program.

Mark W   CYYZ      

My Simhttps://goo.gl/photos/oic45LSoaHKEgU8E9

My Concorde Tutorial Videos available here:  https://www.youtube.com/user/UPS1000

8 hours ago, Iceman2 said:

My first question is about texture performance.. I fly mainly in VR so performance is a major factor and in the past I’ve chosen one basic soft cloud texture just to keep up FPS in cloudy stormy weather. If I chose a nice white fluffy thunderstorm (non soft cloud) texture from REX’s textures direct my FPS takes a dive.

Personally I get better performance with SkyForce than with ASCA. But performance is quite subjective, so your milage may vary.

8 hours ago, Iceman2 said:

Second question.. relates to using AS as the WX engine. Has REX made SF compatible enough with AS that it will inject the appropriate cloud textures into the sim on the fly just like ASCA. (That’s really cool technology) I don’t really know how this works, but do you think SF randomly throws in a cloud texture or is AS calling for a particular texture from SF based on what WX is forecast.

No, SkyForce doesn't inject textures! SkyForce injects cloud models and structures dynamically and are using textures from the static set, you've chosen. If you want dynamic texture injection as well, wait for EnvironmentForce.

ASCA injects cloud textures, sky textures and cloud models and structures.

• Upvote 1

Best regards,
--Anders Bermann--

Pilot-ID: SAS2471

Is there anyway we can get this topic back on course.  The OP wanted to know what is exactly REX SkyForce 3D and all I see is "use AS16/ASCA".  If the question cannot be answered, and we get comments about how bad REX is and how many products this and that and further confuse the membership, then I have no other choice but to lock the topic.  It seems pretty straight forward.  What exactly is REX SkyForce 3D?

Thanks for everyone's help in getting this topic back on course.  I intend to remove every post that was off-topic above and do not answer the OP's question. 

Jim

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10