Sign in to follow this  
Nyxx

AS + SF FPS Test a bit of a surprise! Not planed.

Am running a 1070 

4x SSAA = not a good option for clouds but that's how I roll :cool:

With the GLJ at EGNX with no weather at all, clear skies I get 48-50 FPS in the VC.

Its was grim here this morning so I thought I would fire up P3D and see how it looked...yes it to was grim. FPS were fine no different to normal. So why I thought of this I have no idear.

I thought I would run a FPS test as people ask about optimization and FPS. I thought it would be overcast but it can easily look like that from the ground.

Bear with me a min please.......Since I do all my flights with cruise around FL 270-  360,380 I get fed up with the max cloud draw of 110 miles I have in AS. I can always see the bubble even with it masked with other setting I use within AS. 

So I thought if SF is optimized I might get a better range? Well I went mad and set max cloud draw to 220 miles, crazy and with  4x SSAA I thought it was a bad idea. But since the GLJ can get to FL380 in very little time I thought I would get very high and see. 

I thought I would see silly low FPS on the ground and would kick myself for even thinking of this.

Here are the results with AS + SF Cloud draw 220 miles.

First climbing up though clouds

ssaa-on-fps.jpg

This one I forgot to turn FPS on, its taken at FL330 and hence why I when right upto FL 380 

fl33-fps.jpg

Here we are at FL380. 

You can make of this as you feel fit and you could do the same test with whatever textures you use as I did not run a test using my old ASCA + Soft clouds. It was a spur of the moment test. I have now Set my max cloud Draw to 180 and hopefully it can stay there with clouds out as far as I can see unlike 90-110 draw distance. 

Enjoy! Sorry it was not a totally overcast sky today this morning over the UK

fps-3.jpg
fps.jpg
fps-4.jpg
fps2.jpg

Thats its guys, am done with testing and sharing. I hope others show you all there finding and you get all the info you would like. 

Am done :biggrin: am also back to work from tonight so am out of here :cool:

• Upvote 2

David Murden  MSFS   Fenix A320  PMDG 737 • MG Honda Jet • 414 / TDS 750Xi •  FS-ATC Chatter • FlyingIron Spitfire & ME109G • MG Honda Jet 

Fenix A320 Walkthrough PDF   Flightsim.to •

DCS  A10c II  F-16c  F/A-18c • F-14 • (Others in hanger) • Supercarrier  Terrains = • Nevada NTTR  Persian Gulf  Syria • Marianas • 

• 10900K@4.9 All Cores HT ON   32GB DDR4  3200MHz RTX 3080  • TM Warthog HOTAS • TM TPR • Corsair Virtuoso XT with Dolby Atmos®  Samsung G7 32" 1440p 240Hz • TrackIR 5 & ProClip

Thanks David!

Maurice J

I7 7700k 4.7 \ EVGA 1080ti \ G-Skill 32GB \ Samsung 4K TV

Thanks for the share. I've just got rex SF and for the last few hours done some testing using ASP4 as the weather engine. What I am experiencing is a performance hit compared to using ASP4 and ASCA. This was the metar I used as a reference YSCH 031158Z 09022G59KT 050V130 6SM RA OVC009 BKN021 OVC030 05/02 A2923 RMK EDITED WEATHER. I would lose anywhere from 2-10fps using rexSF/ASP4 combo compared to constant 30fps (locked) using ASP4/ASCA combo.

I mucked around with settings within rexSF with no improvement. I used HWmonitor and noticed that my GPU usage with rexSF/ASP4 combo remained pegged at 100% whilst with ASP4/ASCA combo it would hover around 50-67%.  My AA settings are reasonable at 4xMSAA.

I need to do further testing but I am very disappointed with this result so far.

OVC009 - RSF provides a true overcast and that's probably the difference that you are seeing.

1 hour ago, branks737 said:

Thanks for the share. I've just got rex SF and for the last few hours done some testing using ASP4 as the weather engine. What I am experiencing is a performance hit compared to using ASP4 and ASCA. This was the metar I used as a reference YSCH 031158Z 09022G59KT 050V130 6SM RA OVC009 BKN021 OVC030 05/02 A2923 RMK EDITED WEATHER. I would lose anywhere from 2-10fps using rexSF/ASP4 combo compared to constant 30fps (locked) using ASP4/ASCA combo.

I mucked around with settings within rexSF with no improvement. I used HWmonitor and noticed that my GPU usage with rexSF/ASP4 combo remained pegged at 100% whilst with ASP4/ASCA combo it would hover around 50-67%.  My AA settings are reasonable at 4xMSAA.

I need to do further testing but I am very disappointed with this result so far.

Branko.

Did you change the textures to DTX5 and 512? They look better and have no real FPS hit.

David Murden  MSFS   Fenix A320  PMDG 737 • MG Honda Jet • 414 / TDS 750Xi •  FS-ATC Chatter • FlyingIron Spitfire & ME109G • MG Honda Jet 

Fenix A320 Walkthrough PDF   Flightsim.to •

DCS  A10c II  F-16c  F/A-18c • F-14 • (Others in hanger) • Supercarrier  Terrains = • Nevada NTTR  Persian Gulf  Syria • Marianas • 

• 10900K@4.9 All Cores HT ON   32GB DDR4  3200MHz RTX 3080  • TM Warthog HOTAS • TM TPR • Corsair Virtuoso XT with Dolby Atmos®  Samsung G7 32" 1440p 240Hz • TrackIR 5 & ProClip

3 hours ago, jabloomf1230 said:

OVC009 - RSF provides a true overcast and that's probably the difference that you are seeing.

Yes I agree. I disabled the enhanced overcast option but it didn't make a difference. For me anyway on an overcast day I can't use it unless I can find a tweak for it.

3 hours ago, Nyxx said:

Branko.

Did you change the textures to DTX5 and 512? They look better and have no real FPS hit.

Yes I have it on DTX5 and 512.