Sign in to follow this  
Dicko

New 1080Ti install no post, need advice

Hoping that some of the experts here can assist me with my issue.

I recently purchased an LG 43 in monitor and a Asus Strix OC 1080Ti to drive it. I planned to upgrade from a Evga Classified 780Ti. My system specs include a Z68 Asus Deluxe Gen 3 Motherboard and a 2700K CPU. Also last week I replaced my power supply with a Corsair AX860.

My information checks lead me to believe that although the Graphics Card is PCie 3 it would run on the hardware I have.

I uninstalled existing drivers, shut down computer, removed existing card and installed new one. When I went to start the computer I had nothing. The power light on the 1080Ti was lit, the power light on the motherboard was on. Re-seated the card still nothing. Put the original 780Ti back in a the computer posted instantly.

The 1080Ti was returned to seller who tested and found no issues? I saw the card running.

I have also returned Bios to default with no luck.

Has anyone got an idea of how I can get the 1080Ti up and going?

Thanks

Andrew

Andrew Dixon
"If common sense was compulsory everyone would have it but I am afraid this is not the case"

Might be an issue with the motherboard. Are you sure the PCI-E is of 3.0 spec? I have read about some having issues with Sandy Bridge running the PCI-E at 2.0 instead of 3.0 causing similar issues.

Are you connecting the two 6 pins on the GPU? How many watts as your PSU? If you also replaced the PSU ensure that is working properly, do you have another to test?

Marques

Ryzen 7 7700x@5.4Ghz | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360| RTX 4070 ti | 32GB Ram @5600MHZ| Crucial MX 200 M.2 500GB |Crucial MX200 SATA 500GB | HTC Vive | XIAOMI 43" 4k TV | Acer Predator 27" G-Sync | AOC 32" Freesync

2 hours ago, Montie said:

Are you sure the PCI-E is of 3.0 spec?

It doesn't need to be. PCI-e cards are backwards compatible and there's not even much of a performance difference running a PCI-e 3 card in a PCI-e 2 slot - see: https://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/pci_express_scaling_game_performance_analysis_review,17.html.

4 hours ago, Dicko said:

The power light on the 1080Ti was lit

This would still happen even if the required power cables were not connected. Looking online, your card needs 2 x 8-pin connectors - do you have both of these connected? If so, check all of the PSU cables and connectors (at both ends) and try using different cables and different outputs from the PSU.

i7-6700k | Asus Maximus VIII Hero | 16GB RAM | MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X Plus | Samsung Evo 500GB & 1TB | WD Blue 2 x 1TB | EVGA Supernova G2 850W | AOC 2560x1440 monitor | Win 10 Pro 64-bit

13 hours ago, dmarques69 said:

Are you connecting the two 6 pins on the GPU? How many watts as your PSU? If you also replaced the PSU ensure that is working properly, do you have another to test?

Hi Marques,

Brand new PSU Corsair AX860 bought last week.

12 hours ago, vortex681 said:

It doesn't need to be. PCI-e cards are backwards compatible and there's not even much of a performance difference running a PCI-e 3 card in a PCI-e 2 slot - see: https://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/pci_express_scaling_game_performance_analysis_review,17.html.

This would still happen even if the required power cables were not connected. Looking online, your card needs 2 x 8-pin connectors - do you have both of these connected? If so, check all of the PSU cables and connectors (at both ends) and try using different cables and different outputs from the PSU.

Hi Vortex,

I have purchased a 3770K to see if it solves the issue.

I'm out of ideas. works perfectly with 780Ti and not at all with 1080Ti, in fact FSX running perfectly with 780Ti and  43in 4K monitor.

Maybe time for a complete rebuild.

Thanks

Andrew Dixon
"If common sense was compulsory everyone would have it but I am afraid this is not the case"

17 hours ago, Dicko said:

Hi Vortex,

I have purchased a 3770K to see if it solves the issue.

I'm out of ideas. works perfectly with 780Ti and not at all with 1080Ti, in fact FSX running perfectly with 780Ti and  43in 4K monitor.

Remove the graphics card and make sure that there's no debris in the PCI-e slot and try reseating it. Try installing it in another PCI-e slot. Try to disable fast boot in the BIOS as this has caused a similar problem for others. Have you tried updating the BIOS to the latest version?

On 04/01/2018 at 9:40 AM, Dicko said:

The 1080Ti was returned to seller who tested and found no issues? I saw the card running.

Is the seller local? Did you actually see your card working or was it just via a video? I'm a suspicious person by nature! If the seller is local, could you take your PC in for him to see the card not working?

I have seen a number of reports of perfectly serviceable 1080 Ti card/motherboard combinations not working. Could you ask the original seller if you could try a different brand of card? It's a long shot as both of your components are from Asus so you would assume they would be compatible.

i7-6700k | Asus Maximus VIII Hero | 16GB RAM | MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X Plus | Samsung Evo 500GB & 1TB | WD Blue 2 x 1TB | EVGA Supernova G2 850W | AOC 2560x1440 monitor | Win 10 Pro 64-bit

Finally some success, it appears one of the PCie leads was faulty. All good now!

Andrew Dixon