Sign in to follow this  
pegruder

Any Simbrief experts out there?

Just a quick question - I've been giving Simbrief a go for flight planning and was just wondering does it provide sids and stars?  I think I saw a SID assigned on the last flight I tried with it but I dont see anything about the destination route?  For instance, it was just JFK to RBV, and then I had no flight plan and had to essentially wait until vox provided something.  Normally with PFPX I have something to go on, and if it changes then I update the FMC accordingly.  Am I doing something wrong or does it not provide any info for the arrival?

Chris DeGroat  

XP11 | MSFS

i9 12900k | 32GB DDR5 RAM | 2TB Samsung EVO SSD (1TB x 2 in RAID 0) | MSI RTX 3090 | Reverb G2 | RealSimGear TBM900 Panel with Yoko+ TQ6+ & TM TPR Pedals

Hmm odd. 

I recently planned a flight from ESSA to KEWR and I got two route options. The only difference with these routes were the assigned Arrival routes, SHAFF7 or FLOSI3 (I think)

EASA PPL SEPL ( NQ , EFIS, Variable Pitch, SLPC, Retractable undercarriage)
B23 / PA32R / PA28 / DA40 / C172S 

MSFS | X-Plane 12 |

Simbrief should give you an arrival if it’s appropriate for the airport/approach.  Sometimes there isn’t a STAR that works, so IRL you’d be vectored to the Approach. 

SimBrief, all SID and STARS are available....been using that for last three years almost.....as long as you are subscribed with Navigraph and unlock every AIRAC in SimBrief. In terms of ROUTING ONLY (!!) gives you same thing. And it is for free.....Very professionally done website, I believe he owns Air Canada Virtual Web site. Voted best VA web site year ago if I am not mistaken.

• Upvote 1

Alex 

37 minutes ago, FlightSimmer68 said:

On Simbrief I get:

Error: Unknown destination airport (RBV).

Sorry the route was between JFK to IAD, gave me the JFK3 SID to RBV, then I had nothing.  Ill recheck what I did, maybe I messed up.  Does it provide an arrival runway as well?  I couldn't locate that on the flight plan either.

SimBrief, all SID and STARS are available....been using that for last three years almost.....as long as you are subscribed with Navigraph and unlock every AIRAC in SimBrief. In terms of ROUTING ONLY (!!) gives you same thing. And it is for free.....Very professionally done website, I believe he owns Air Canada Virtual Web site. Voted best VA web site year ago if I am not mistaken.

I agree - the website and whole system is done extremely well which is why I started giving it a go.

Chris DeGroat  

XP11 | MSFS

i9 12900k | 32GB DDR5 RAM | 2TB Samsung EVO SSD (1TB x 2 in RAID 0) | MSI RTX 3090 | Reverb G2 | RealSimGear TBM900 Panel with Yoko+ TQ6+ & TM TPR Pedals

Also make sure, sometimes I don't pick "defaulted" route....choose from FIND ROUTE. Nice thing about you will get several confirmed and approved routes....and choose one....

Alex 

2 minutes ago, cyyzrwy24 said:

Also make sure, sometimes I don't pick "defaulted" route....choose from FIND ROUTE. Nice thing about you will get several confirmed and approved routes....and choose one....

Ok - so here may lie the issue.  I'm having it pretty much auto pick everything from projectfly.  is there a way I can preplan the flight in simbrief, then book the flight in project fly and then have it dispatched via simbrief?  

Chris DeGroat  

XP11 | MSFS

I have always operated on the assumption that Simbrief maintains a database of routes that have been entered by other users.  That is, when a user enters a route, the program saves that route, and displays it as an option for other users.

If a user wants to make a different route, links are provided to other sites where a route can be created.  Likewise, a user is free to manually enter his own route.

I think the Simbrief allows users to select a route that was entered by other users.  If those users had SIDS and STARS, they will show on that route.

Do remember with Simbrief that the route that appears by default, and the suggested routes down the right hand side, are not necessarily "validated" or "approved" routes -- they are simply the last five routes that other Simbrief users have generated between those two destinations.

Therefore, depending on who last planned a flight between those two airports you may have a perfectly planned route if it was someone who knew what they were doing, or you may have a load of garbage if it was not. So treat those routes with caution!

The Simbrief "help" page has some more details about the options available to generate and validate routes using the route finder or other linked services such as Flightaware etc.

• Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, FlightSimmer68 said:

Here's what I get:

https://imgur.com/5O47wR4

Ok - I re-viewed the pdf of my plan from last night and I see the arrival runway now, just no STAR.  Obviously, this could be based upon multiple factors - including as it seems what others have entered.  Not sure how I overlooked the arrival runway at least.  Ill give it a go for a few more flights and see how it goes.

• Upvote 1

Chris DeGroat  

XP11 | MSFS

Suggested route 2 does have a STAR (CAVLR3).

PFPX gave me the following route (with SID and STAR).

KJFK GREKI4 JFK DCT RBV HYPER7 KIAD.

If you used Simbrief with KJFK RBV KIAD (Suggested route 1) and then put that into PROATCX or Pilot2ATC you would (probably) get a SID/STAR. I think sometimes, simbrief just wants to give you the shortest route..

2 hours ago, skelsey said:

are not necessarily "validated" or "approved" routes

Or just pick new one.....under find route...

1 hour ago, pegruder said:

Ok - I re-viewed the pdf of my plan from last night and I see the arrival runway now, just no STAR

sometimes that happens, you could edit same flight, pick new route that will find SID and STAR for you and re-generate plan. You will find STAR...

Alex