Sign in to follow this  
rstough

REX Sky Force - Cloud Model Sync Explanation

6 minutes ago, J van E said:

That's very worrying... I bought ENVTEX yesterday mainly for the dynamic sky colors...!

Jeroen,

ENVTEX should not be a problem - do not have it so cannot test, but it just does textures (correct?). If that is the case it will not do anything inside the \weather\clouds folder, including leaving that Big Daddy Skyforce CloudArtFiles.xml file alone. ASCA, since it normally expects you to also use its cloud models, but sees you have ticked these off, goes along and resets that file back to default!

12 minutes ago, J van E said:

Disappointing because I need historic weather. And I want smooth redraws

Yes very useful for me as I live in Thailand, fly a lot in South Africa, at night time here, but still day over there. So I usualy set for historical tie, 5hrs behind Thai time.

But you can fly to the future! Right now SF engine is giving me August 1 2018 as the date for the current weather. Oh Boy!

Robin Harris

Or is Just the USA date/time format....:gaul:

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, B777ER said:

Even using the SF3 GUI and having it run in admin mode these are not being updated. The only files in that directory that show updated are rex_blob, corona, flare, glow and rainbow

Strange it can update these and not the cumulus bmps. There are two tabs bottom of the SF texture GUI. Are you sure you installed cumulus as well as cirrus texture sets? P3D and SF directories excluded from your AV or Windows Defender? Maybe try one more time - cmon you have paid your $s!

Robin Harris

With only installing SF clouds and moon this is what you should see. Did it today to show dates.

files.jpg

ASCA with ENVTEX is all fine for sky colours.

David Murden  MSFS   Fenix A320  PMDG 737 • MG Honda Jet • 414 / TDS 750Xi •  FS-ATC Chatter • FlyingIron Spitfire & ME109G • MG Honda Jet 

Fenix A320 Walkthrough PDF   Flightsim.to •

DCS  A10c II  F-16c  F/A-18c • F-14 • (Others in hanger) • Supercarrier  Terrains = • Nevada NTTR  Persian Gulf  Syria • Marianas • 

• 10900K@4.9 All Cores HT ON   32GB DDR4  3200MHz RTX 3080  • TM Warthog HOTAS • TM TPR • Corsair Virtuoso XT with Dolby Atmos®  Samsung G7 32" 1440p 240Hz • TrackIR 5 & ProClip

9 minutes ago, Dio said:

Or is Just the USA date/time format....:gaul:

Maybe, but then REX are writing it out incorrectly as "15Z, Wednesday, August 01, 2018"!

Robin Harris

Ι

Just now, geolpilot said:

Maybe, but then REX are writing it out incorrectly as "15Z, Wednesday, August 01, 2018"!

It was said that they had an issue with regional settings..... did you apply their HOTFIX?

1 minute ago, Dio said:

Ι

It was said that they had an issue with regional settings..... did you apply their HOTFIX?

Yes. But believe me I use English US, still cannot read Thai!

Robin Harris

Try changing your current PC date to 22/1/2018 and see what it does....

11 minutes ago, Dio said:

Try changing your current PC date to 22/1/2018 and see what it does....

The date at the top left of the wether screen is correct (Monday, January 08, 2018 - 11:42:27pm (that's my local time)

The Date for the Metar is wrong (KSEA 16Z - Wednesday August 01 2018). So its how REX are translating the Metar date  that is strange (KSEA 081553Z!)

Anyhow this is off thread topic now. want to try to keep to explaining cloud model syncing

Robin Harris

42 minutes ago, geolpilot said:

That wouldn't surprise me. The REX online announcement and discussion of the release of HD Airports began an hour late because REX misunderstood the translations of Zulu time to US time zones.

Processor: Intel i9-13900KF 5.8GHz 24-Core, Graphics Processor: Nvidia RTX 4090 24GB GDDR6, System Memory: 64GB High Performance DDR5 SDRAM 5600MHz, Operating System: Windows 11 Home Edition, Motherboard: Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX, LGA 1700, CPU Cooling: Corsair H100i Elite 240mm Liquid Cooling, RGB and LCD Display, Chassis Fans: Corsair Low Decibel, Addressable RGB Fans, Power Supply: Corsair HX1000i Fully Modular Ultra-Low-Noise Platinum ATX 1000 Watt, Primary Storage: 2TB Samsung Gen 4 NVMe SSD, Secondary Storage: 1TB Samsung Gen 4 NVMe SSD, VR Headset: Meta Quest 2, Primary Display: SONY 4K Bravia 75-inch, 2nd Display: SONY 4K Bravia 43-inch, 3rd Display: Vizio 28-inch, 1920x1080. Controller: Xbox Controller attached to PC via USB.

1 hour ago, geolpilot said:

ENVTEX should not be a problem - do not have it so cannot test, but it just does textures (correct?). If that is the case it will not do anything inside the \weather\clouds folder, including leaving that Big Daddy Skyforce CloudArtFiles.xml file alone. ASCA, since it normally expects you to also use its cloud models, but sees you have ticked these off, goes along and resets that file back to default!

I use the ENVTEX skies through ASCA so they are injected on the fly depending on the weather. So I do need ASCA for this and so I have to untick the clouds and so ASCA will reset that file back to default all the time... This means you can not use ASCA at ALL, so it seems...

Does anyone here who also uses ASCA for ENVTEX sky really have those SF clouds, I seriously wonder...?

3 hours ago, SmokeDiddy said:

I purchased SKyForce last night and got it set-up and running...I think...per Jeroen's instructions previously posted.  When I close P3Dv4, I get unhandled exception.  I have not posted in Rex support forums yet as I am not verified member.  Just wondering if the Hotfix fixes this issue or maybe I have another issue.  Below is the Excepetion text:

************** Exception Text **************
System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
   at rexskyforce.controls.wxenginep3d.myProcessTmr_Tick(Object sender, EventArgs e)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Timer.OnTick(EventArgs e)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Timer.TimerNativeWindow.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)

Many Thanks!

Edit, I am using ASP4 and ASCA sky textures only

FYI....I am no longer seeing the Unhandled Exception message when exiting P3Dv4 with SF3.  I turned off the Enable auto-backup at closing option in the General Settings of SF3.  This option isn't important to me, but might be for others, just sharing my observations.

Thanks!

i5-6600K 3.5Ghz OC to 4.5GHz|CorsairH60 Liq Cooler|GA-Z170X-Gaming 7|GTX 1070|G.Skill Trident DDR4-3200 32GB|950 PRO M.2 250GB|850 EVO 500GB|2TB Seagate FireCuda SSHD|FractalDesign R4|Corsair RMx 750W|Win10 64bit Home|MSFS2020

I love the smell of Jet-A in the morning!

Robert Pressley a.k.a. SmokeDiddy

From rex 22 hours ago

"Hi,

I have read misleading information on forums and social media concerning Sky Force, from AVSIM and others.

By disabling SF weather engine, ANY 3rd-party weather engine can use all contents of SF without limitation. Textures and all cloud models are 100% activated with full features.

The new cloud models are brand new cloud structures to reproduce the real size, heights and clouds types, which also fix the upside down textures often seen before SF was released. It is not true that the difference from default are only more fuller with more variations, these are all brand new model structures, developed close to the real formations, doubled the texture mapping for them which require the new SF cloud textures and we added many new types never done before, and this is only the start.

SF cloud textures contain soft, medium and detailed edges for user taste.

Environment Force will take advantage of SF with an API for real-time atmospheric changes and live texture injection."

David Murden  MSFS   Fenix A320  PMDG 737 • MG Honda Jet • 414 / TDS 750Xi •  FS-ATC Chatter • FlyingIron Spitfire & ME109G • MG Honda Jet 

Fenix A320 Walkthrough PDF   Flightsim.to •

DCS  A10c II  F-16c  F/A-18c • F-14 • (Others in hanger) • Supercarrier  Terrains = • Nevada NTTR  Persian Gulf  Syria • Marianas • 

• 10900K@4.9 All Cores HT ON   32GB DDR4  3200MHz RTX 3080  • TM Warthog HOTAS • TM TPR • Corsair Virtuoso XT with Dolby Atmos®  Samsung G7 32" 1440p 240Hz • TrackIR 5 & ProClip

Oh boy... Life was easier with FS98! :biggrin:

• Upvote 2

Best regards,
David Roch

AMD Ryzen 5950X //  Asus ROG CROSSHAIR VIII EXTREME //  32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 4000 MHz CL17 //  ASUS ROG Strix GeForce RTX 4090 24GB OC Edition //  2x SSD 1Tb Corsair MP600 PCI-E4 NVM //  Corsair 1600W PSU & Samsung Odyssey Arc 55" curved monitor
Thrustmaster Controllers: TCA Yoke Pack Boeing Edition + TCA Captain Pack Airbus Edition + Pendular Rudder.