Sign in to follow this  
Guest Ken_Salter

Freeware Authors - Discussion

Guest Slacktide

>(I'm still looking for names of files any of you have worked on to>download.)Sorry, I figured you would just search on my username. Here's a link to save you the trouble:http://library.avsim.net/esearch.php?DLID=...&Author=baisleyNow for a trip down memory lane:Here is apparantly a repaint of my TU144 from back in the day. No idea on where the original went:http://www.flightsim.com/cgi/kdl/main/5/tu-144m.zipAmazingly, here is some ancient site with a download of my C310 for FS5:http://www.giffer.com/public/dos/pgam2/Files/C310K.ZIPSadly, my BV141 seems to be lost to the ages, although I did find a link documenting it's entry in the old ftp.iup.edu uploads directory.

Okay Dave, I wanted to pretty must stay out of this, but since you issued the challenge above, let me respond.After some reflection, I didn't publish your email because I thought it would only paint you in a bad light. Your posts here have succeeded in doing that anyway. I did not post it out of respect to your contributions to the hobby. But that respect is not limitless, nor will it extend to accusations that this community is somehow "more hostile" than others. That's balderdash, you know it, and I know it. I am not typically a cynic, but I sense another agenda at play here.As for your view and expectations about being a FREEWARE author and your contribution to the community, let me put this in another context.AVSIM is the greatest FREEWARE effort in our hobby. We service over 299,000 users of our library, we serve up terabytes of files a month, we have over 21,000 members of these forums (the largest in the hobby by at least 5,000 members)... We have provided free access for over 9 years, 24 x 7 x 365, FREE to anyone who wishes to join in. Many of our readers/members frequent multiple sites on a daily basis. When you scourage readers here, you are scouraging readers elsewhere. Not one of the over 40 volunteers here makes a dime on AVSIM... That cannot be said about the site you seem to prefer; Flightsim.com. The facts speak for themselves Dave. You have successfully isolated your self from a large part of the community; a community that is shared between numerous sites. You have also successfully painted tens of thousands of community members here and elsewhere with the same (unfair) brush. You have taken your toys from the AVSIM community. Your choice and one that AVSIM, by policy, one we will always abide by for any author. But in doing so, and by your posts here, you have painted yourself to be a very small person. All because someone erroneously reported a virus in your upload.As I said, I think there is an agenda at play here, and it boils down to conjecture on my part (but one seemingly substantiated by your actions and words)... You don't like AVSIM, and you were looking for the slightest excuse to castigate us. You have had your moment in time to do that.But, I will also say this... Your earlier post, with profanities, was a violation of our policies. You apparently have no regard for our rules. That is telling, in my eyes. Normally, your post would have been removed at best, and at worst, you would have found yourself shown the door. But, Ken and I are going to let that message stand for all time, just to show how little you care for this community or AVSIM and by extension, the users who frequent multiple sites within the hobby.Good luck to you in your future ventures. I hope you recieve the reward that you seek for your hard work.

Larry... Too late... :)Judging from an email I received earlier, FS.com has apparently gone back into the "filter out AVSIM" mode. I find that too funny and infantile.

Guest artmartin

Darn, I'm jealous. What forms does one have to fill out to become an official forum bozo?Art Martin

Tom, I have a question for you and all the others who have participated in the rampage for the last few days...The question is...does anyone here really believe that there is a "flightsim community" when you all seem to be ready to "eat each others young"?The respect that "USED TO BE" available in the "community" seems to have evaporated here.A casual read of the PC12 threads and the Daviator threads is enough to sicken any new flightsim enthusiast and most likely has turned many "newbies" towards the much derided "all nodes busy" site.Really, when Avsim people seem to hate Flightsim.com people, and people who visit here go away with a "bad taste in there mouth" maybe it's time to get back to a little "civility" if Avsim is to promote the "community" and Flight Simulation in general?Just a reminder that the "community" that some here SAY they wish to defend consists of newcomers and yes I'll say it...those at Flightsim.com.If the "community" consists of others who are abused because they do not share the same view as those of a few self styled "experts" here...what comes next for the "community"?

Best Regards,

Ron Hamilton PP|ASEL

Forumsig16.png

Guest Zevious Zoquis

Where has any "Avsim person" said they hate "flightsim people?" Where does this stuff come from? The manufactured conflict between the two sites in this case was created by one person and one person only and he stated that Avsim is the problem...personally, I frequent and enjoy both sites and don't find either one to have any worse or better an attitude than the other. I see many familiar names at both and everyone generally behaves decently. Even in the case of this thread, it wasn't until baseless accusations started getting tossed about that things got volatile. Yes, the community most definitely does consist of many newcomers - probably very much like the fellow who made wrote the erroneous virus warning thread (I know at least one of them had around 30 posts to his name). It doesn't sound like that was a consideration though.

>>Really, when Avsim people seem to hate Flightsim.com people,>and people who visit here go away with a "bad taste in there>mouth" maybe it's time to get back to a little "civility" if>Avsim is to promote the "community" and Flight Simulation in>general?>My stats are approx. 2830 postings here, and 2646 at Flightsim.comI guess it's hard to tell if I'm an "Avsim" people or "Flightsim com. people". :)I know this applies to many others also...L.Adamson, alias Ladamsonedit--- s added to other

I will send you the 22 meg zipped file with all the forms. Please take your time in filling it out. We only allow one bozo at a time and there is a long line in front of you. :)

Guest Daviator

I see, even the site owner is not beneath taking this to a childish level. This only goes to confirm what myself and others have said about avsim.com

You seem to believe that it is okay for you to cast aspersion without challenge. And when you are challenged, you result to the old rubric of expanding the accusations to accuse those who would challenge you. Not too smart or very mature.David, you brought this on your self. Respond to my points please, or don't let the door hit you on the arse on the way out. If you don't respond to the points, then my (and others) belief that this was all a personal agenda is confirmed IMHO. It's okay for you to attack AVSIM and the community here, but its not okay for you to be challenged. That says more than I need to know. :)

>I see, even the site owner is not beneath taking this to a>childish level. This only goes to confirm what myself and>others have said about avsim.com>You've taken a sight with over 21,000 members, then published a few E-mails in which one tends to implicate Avsim members as "bozo's". Do keep in mind, that many very talented, intelligent, and interesting people do read and contribute, to each of these forums. Do you really know the people that contribute to this board, or do you just always throw out blanket statements to cover all? You really don't seem to know.............do you?Should we really discuss who's being childish here???L.Adamson

Larry, the answer in this 55 year old's opinion is obvious. So, I am left to conclude that you were asking a rhetoric question. Shame on you. :)

i know this was a few post ago, but i would like to join the waiting list so i can have a very un-level head as stated above, and also to become one of the Avsim bozo's.Tom, would you mind adding me to that list?Here's to the 21000 something thousand bozo members. :-beerchug

I guess I am going to have to start a bozo thread detailing the information required for membership. :) Standby, thread coming soon.

Awsome tom. This can be another great avsim organization! Maybe we can have Ken design us all some banners to put in our signatures. Something like, Certified dumba$$ of avsim.com. Apply Today!What do you think buddy? :)