Sign in to follow this  
Pricelss

VNAV fail

So ive noticed since the last 747 update on avg every other flight i do in the QOTS the VNAV on decent fails. It doesn't do the decent like the Chart or Legs page says to do it just drops you straight to your lowest altitude at your first decent waypoint and keeps your speed still at cruise speed. What is going on?

What is going on can be answered by reviewing your own procedures.  I've just flown five straight days in the B744 QOTSII PANC-KSDF-PHNL-YSSY-ZSPD-PANC and of course there were no such issues with VNAV.  I suspect that if there were a bug as you claim then this forum would have a lot more buzz on this topic.

Okay, once you accept your role in the problem we can set about helping but you are going to have to start being precise about what you are doing. "It doesn't do the decent" is not going to be helpful, please tell us the location and arrival, cruise alt, how you have the MCP set up and what is being annunciated on the FMA.  Describe the events as they unfold so that someone not looking over your shoulder can get the picture.

Dan Downs KCRP

It is a bug. I click the DES NOW on the Decent VNAV page and then the bar on the right side of the Map appears and says im 34000 feet above where I should be. I Check the legs page and it shows I should be at anywhere for 6600' to 2000' (altitude has varied everytime) and at mach .883. I try to change that by manually editing the speed and altitude limits and it says an FMC message appears with something along the lines of "Unable" (don't really remember it but next time it happens ill be sure to screenshot it). So i have to manually do the decent. I mean its not that big of an issue its just an annoyance. as I cant really gauge where i should be on the routing without reference the chart constantly and with one screen thats a little hard to do.

So No. it is not my issue nor my fault. It is not my problem. It is a bug @downscc.  

It sounds very much like a forgotten to insert cruise altitude or a messed up nav database... maybe a screenshot of your vnav decent page in the FMS, of the LEGS page and the PERF INIT page would be good too. If the vnav bar says you are 34000 ft too high the fms has likely a cruise alt of 0ft.. 

is your 747 up to date? 

Of course it can always be a bug, but the probability is... let‘s say... small.

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, Pricelss said:

It is a bug. I click the DES NOW on the Decent VNAV page and then the bar on the right side of the Map appears and says im 34000 feet above where I should be. I Check the legs page and it shows I should be at anywhere for 6600' to 2000' (altitude has varied everytime) and at mach .883. I try to change that by manually editing the speed and altitude limits and it says an FMC message appears with something along the lines of "Unable" (don't really remember it but next time it happens ill be sure to screenshot it). So i have to manually do the decent. I mean its not that big of an issue its just an annoyance. as I cant really gauge where i should be on the routing without reference the chart constantly and with one screen thats a little hard to do.

So No. it is not my issue nor my fault. It is not my problem. It is a bug @downscc.  

if its  a bug  as  you have  suggested  than submit  a support  ticket in  with  al  your  data

• Upvote 1

I7-800k,Corsair h1101 cooler ,Asus Strix Gaming Intel Z370 S11 motherboard, Corsair 32gb ramDD4,    2  ssd 500gb 970 drive, gtx 1080ti Card,  RM850 power supply

Peter kelberg

10 hours ago, Pricelss said:

It is a bug.

Sorry, but this is irresponsible. Do not point fingers to assign blame before bringing evidence. There are multiple people in here saying it's fine, and I don't see an issue either, so before you go firing off accusations, please take the time to bring evidence to support your case. The burden of proof is always on the accuser. Without that, it's entirely and wildly irresponsible behavior.

• Upvote 1

Kyle Rodgers

With this attitude, nothing will ever get fixed, even when it is your fault or your problem because you'll be so blind to any potential that it is.

Sorry, but being an S2 on VATSIM doesn't make you any more knowledgeable or foolproof than anyone else here. I was an I1 and I still took time to ensure I wasn't the one to be blamed, and was always open to the idea that I could be wrong and had things to learn.

EDIT: Can someone fetch me some Kendrick, please?

• Upvote 1

Kyle Rodgers

When it happens again ill screenshot it. its been 3 days and hasnt done it so we'll see if it decides to screw up again. 

its been 3 days and hasnt done it

Here's your sign...

When there's variance in automation, it's usually the weakest link - the human - causing it.

*Calls in Kendrick*

Kyle Rodgers

50 minutes ago, Pricelss said:

Loving this wonderful help and support that I'm getting from the PMDG staff.

From my perspective you have three choices: 1) Document a bug exists with instructions on how to repeat the problem so it can be duplicated and document on a trouble ticket to get the problem into the bug tracking system.  2) Acknowledge you may have some gaps in your knowledge of aircraft systems and ask for help. 3) Become sarcastic and ensure that others (after all, this is a user to user forum and not PMDG support, which is at http://support.precisionmanuals.com) will be discouraged from attempting to help you.

• Upvote 1

Dan Downs KCRP

1 hour ago, Pricelss said:

Loving this wonderful help and support that I'm getting from the PMDG staff.

You came in here and pointed a finger with zero evidence to support your assertion.

Had you come in here asking for actual support instead of firing off baseless accusations of bugs - that nobody else is reporting, mind you - my approach would be vastly different. Nope. You showed up, pointed a finger, provided zero evidence, and continued to double down on that. Sorry, but that's irresponsible, and uncalled for.

So...where are we? Are you willing to admit that, because this is so hit or miss, it's likely a human error, or are you wanting to assert that it's a bug? If it's the latter, start to bring evidence and some sort of repeatable situation I can test. Otherwise, knock it off, and you're not going to get away with trying to play the victim after poking the bear. Sorry.

• Upvote 3

Kyle Rodgers