Sign in to follow this  
boeingflir

777 Climb Performance

OK, I'm back and my "expert" is coming over tomorrow to fix this. I'll let you know. It sounds easy. That said, to Mike 777, funny! I've tried to expose my weaknesses and still maintain some self respect. I am a Mac user in my "real" life and I consider anything beyond the desktop to be plunging into the bowels of the computer. I remember being walked through installing Kai Tak in the PMDG 747 and I couldn't believe it when I was instructed to actually delete 5 lines of text in a file and replace it with text he had provided.

Thanks for all the help. I'll report a, hopefully, happy ending.

Bruce

OK, it worked. She's flying like the real thing. I have deleted the ARPT_RNWY.dat file, but won't know if that worked until I fire it up tomorrow. I ran out of time before I could fly an approach and see if the GPWS warning went away.

Bruce

OK, it worked. She's flying like the real thing. I deleted the ARPT_RWY.dat file, restarted and I still get the Terrain Pull Up warning at about 600 agl. The only way to silence it is Terrain Override, or a go around. Tried it at both EGLL and EDDF. Frustrating.

Bruce

46 minutes ago, boeingflir said:

OK, it worked. She's flying like the real thing. I deleted the ARPT_RWY.dat file, restarted and I still get the Terrain Pull Up warning at about 600 agl. The only way to silence it is Terrain Override, or a go around. Tried it at both EGLL and EDDF. Frustrating.

Bruce

Deleting the ARPT_RWY.dat doesn't have any effect on how the plane flies. It would only have an effect on the terrain warning.

Did you program in a route for these test flights?

Kyle Rodgers

Yes, beside the climb performance issue I also get a terrain warning 600agl. Mike had suggested that if I deleted the ARPT_RWY.dat file that would fix the GRND PROX issue. I just tried it again after deleting the file, loaded a new flight since I thought there was a possibility that loading a saved flight might be an issue, and no joy. It still gives me a PULL UP TERRAIN warning.

2 minutes ago, boeingflir said:

Yes, beside the climb performance issue I also get a terrain warning 600agl. Mike had suggested that if I deleted the ARPT_RWY.dat file that would fix the GRND PROX issue. I just tried it again after deleting the file, loaded a new flight since I thought there was a possibility that loading a saved flight might be an issue, and no joy. It still gives me a PULL UP TERRAIN warning.

Right, but your first sentence seemed to indicate that you'd connected the .dat with the performance (which was FSUIPC).

What wasn't answered, however, was my question: are you programming in a route for these test flights?

Full names in the forum please - first and last.

Kyle Rodgers

I have tried it flying  a full route, my usual test flight is EDDF-EGLL and I also have tried it with a full route and diversion back to Frankfurt. Since you ask, it makes me think of an unusual occurrence when I divert back. I select an ILS, usually 25L. The freq. and course show up in the upper left coroner of the PDF as it should, but no GS or LOC pointer and it won't it won't arm when I select APP. I have never had this occur with any of my PMDG add ons including the 737NGX or Level D 767. I end up selecting the 25L GLS and use LNAV/VNAV.

Thanks for your help. It's annoying. Not your help, the GRND PROX.

13 minutes ago, boeingflir said:

I select an ILS, usually 25L. The freq. and course show up in the upper left coroner of the PDF as it should, but no GS or LOC pointer and it won't it won't arm when I select APP.

Hi,

It is usually the sign that there is a mismatch between the frequency of the ILS in the nav database of the FMC and the one of the scenery in the sim. Check the frequency on the map window of the simu.

It may come from either an outdated scenery or from from an outdated AIRAC whichever is the oldest. The autotune function of the FMC reads the frequency from the nav database of the FMC (updated with AIRACs) but doesn't read the frequency programmed in the scenery of the sim.

Romain Roux

204800.pngACH1179.jpg

Avec l'avion, nous avons inventé la ligne droite.

St Exupéry, Terre des hommes.

Thanks. I haven't updated the AIRAC for awhile. Definitely out of date. What do you think about the GRND PROX issue? Is that connected?

Bruce Jacobs 

Well, honestly I cannot answer. I don't remember whether there is bathymetry data for the terrain in the AIRACs and I don't know either where the PMDG's gets warning from in the sim, how it simulates the ground prox warning (whether the radio altimeter feature actually detects the ground in the sim or whether it gets the terrain from a database and compares it to the position of the aircraft). 

But there is certainly no harm in trying to update the AIRAC and see if it fixes the issue.

For the ILS issue, updating the FMC database with the latest AIRAC will fix it only if your scenery is up-to-date or if the nav database of the sim is updated to match the AIRAC as well.

Edited by Budbud

Romain Roux

204800.pngACH1179.jpg

This is what I found in ARPT_RWY.dat for EGLL 9 Left (there are separate lines for each runway):

RW;09L;51.477500;-0.485014;83;11030;090;090;12802

FS;09L;51.477425;-0.490342;83;11030;091;091;13160

There are two lines; the first corresponds to the Airac data in WPNAVAPT.TXT, the second, I would guess comes from FS data.  The "83" I think is the runway altitude above sea level (for Denver, a mountain airport, the corresponding number is 5434).  The other numbers appear to correspond to long/lat, course, frequency, runway length, etc.

So, Bruce, try opening ARPT-RWY.dat with Notepad and see if any of the runway altitudes look weird.

Regarding Airac/FS frequency discrepancies, take a look on the FS Map and see what frequencies show up there for the ILSs.  Those are the frequencies in the scenery.  If they don't match the Airac data the ILS receivers won't pick them up when autotuned.

Mike

PS: Romain, the same "83" is in the Airac data (WPNAVAPT.TXT) and I don't see anything else in either file corresponding to altitude - just long/lat, course, frequency, runway length in both files.

Edited by Mike777

bUmq4nJ.jpg?2

2 hours ago, Budbud said:

whether the radio altimeter feature actually detects the ground in the sim or whether it gets the terrain from a database and compares it to the position of the aircraft

It uses a geophysical database, which is what all those files in the PMDG\DEM folder are there for.

Dan Downs KCRP

21 hours ago, Mike777 said:

Romain, the same "83" is in the Airac data (WPNAVAPT.TXT) and I don't see anything else in either file corresponding to altitude - just long/lat, course, frequency, runway length in both files.

18 hours ago, downscc said:

It uses a geophysical database, which is what all those files in the PMDG\DEM folder are there for.

Hi Mike and Dan,

Thanks for the info, I'm away from my sim computer so I could not check it myself.

Romain Roux

204800.pngACH1179.jpg