Anywho, given that you're all telling me that 4.8GHz is not a 'huge' OC, and I could (maybe?) go higher (5GHz?), it sounds like I should be perfectly able to do this myself.

With the D15 yes "maybe 5 GHz". But that depends on the silicone lottery, how much voltage you would require. You have the i5, so no HT, so you save 10 degrees right there. MY daughters 8600K managed 5 GHz quite easily but it was delidded. I can only guess the temp at 5 GHz with the D15, not delidded, but I would say in the mid 80's in a stress test like RealBench. Higher than what I consider my max, but many wouldn't have an issue. 

So taking all of your last comments into consideration, I think I will go with the Noctua DH15S. It seems like a wiser purchase at this point. And I would like to stay with air. Liquid cooling is another step price wise that I'm not quite willing to make at this point. Thanks for all the feedback!

Benjamin van Soldt

Windows 10 64bit - i5-8600k @ 4.7GHz - ASRock Fatality K6 Z370 - EVGA GTX1070 SC 8GB VRAM - 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX @ 3200MHz - Samsung 960 Evo SSD M.2 NVMe 500GB - 2x Samsung 860 Evo SSD 1TB (P3Dv4/5 drive) - Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200RPM - Seasonic FocusPlus Gold 750W - Noctua DH-15S - Fractal Design Focus G (White) Case

Okay, I'm sure you will be very pleased.

My old  PC, now owned by my son has the NH-D14. Served me and now him well for years. My NH-D15S has been great, for both my 6700K system and now my 8700K system.

The only thing I did do was replace the fan with the new Noctua Black Chromax fan. And bought the Chromax covers.

8600k is a very nice cpu .easy to reach 5ghz with DH15S 

tested one yesterday , its RogRealBench Stable at 5.1ghz 1.39v temps 69-72c cooling DH15S

run firestrike with the 8600k at 5.1 ghz the GPUs  was 1070 single card and 2x1070SLI and then 1080TI single and 2x1080Ti SLI

When overclocking the 2x1080TI a swaped the mems and run them 4000mhz c16

the 8600k paired with a 1070 a very solid for P3D 

CPU is NOT delidded.

Wow that’s great to have westman, thanks for sharing! Looking forward to trying it for myself soon :)

Benjamin van Soldt

Windows 10 64bit - i5-8600k @ 4.7GHz - ASRock Fatality K6 Z370 - EVGA GTX1070 SC 8GB VRAM - 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX @ 3200MHz - Samsung 960 Evo SSD M.2 NVMe 500GB - 2x Samsung 860 Evo SSD 1TB (P3Dv4/5 drive) - Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200RPM - Seasonic FocusPlus Gold 750W - Noctua DH-15S - Fractal Design Focus G (White) Case