Sign in to follow this  
Guest william273

boeing approaches

Guest william273

do commerical pilots manualy hand fly the final approach and landing or do they use the autopilot approach mode? i remember reading they do one of the two more than the other but can't remember which. i vaguely remember something like doing at least one or more a month or something like that. thanks, william

It depends on what sort of operation you're talking about. You mention "boeing" in the subject so I would guess you're talking about airliners.Every airline flies their airliners differently, they all have Standard Operating Procedures (SOP) which have to be approved by the country's Aviation body and are created with the help of the manufacturer.I don't think it would be too outrageous of me to suggest that *most* airlines *recommend* the approach is flown automatically (ILS capture) with the landing manually (weather permitting obviously). Knocking out the autopilot when you're visual and comfortable (usually around 1000ft ish, again weather permitting).Of course, there is nothing wrong with flying the approach manually every so often for a bit of practise. When the weather's nice, the workload low, etc, knock out the automatics and fly it be hand.Hope this helps,Ian

This is really the pilot in command's decision.

Don't quote me on this, but QANTAS requires landings to be hand-flown, except on a few occasions for pilot currency, and equiptment test. I think I would prefer (as a passenger) that airlines make their pilots hand-fly rather than automate the whole flight. It would keep their skill levels up!As a general pilot I'd prefer to hand-fly the approach - as a working pilot i'd prefer an automated approach. :-lol Go figure!

Have a great Day/Night where ever you are! :-wave

http://www.3dflite.com/dac/img/BANNER1.gif Student Pilot - YSBKC152/Tomahawk/Warrior/Archer/Duchess62.2 hrs Total

A couple years ago I got some time in a 717 simulator and the flight instructor was a retired captain for Continental. Since I am not a pilot, this experience was my only point of reference.Auto throttle was on for the entire flight - it was engaged on take off. I hand flew the aircraft up to FL160 with my eyes firmly transfixed on the flight director. I also hand flew the approach - flight director was locked in to the ILS. I asked him about hand flying in general and he said that it was up to the PIC - pilots become pilots because they want to fly so they take all of the opportunities to do so. That's the fun part of the job.Whether that is true, I don't know. I didn't dig deeper because the day was kind of a blur for me.

MSFS Premium Deluxe Edition; Windows 11 Pro, I9-9900k; Asus Maximus XI Hero; Asus TUF RTX3080TI; 32GB G.Skill Ripjaw DDR4 3600; 2X Samsung 1TB 970EVO; NZXT Kraken X63; Seasonic Prime PX-1000, LG 48" C1 Series OLED, Honeycomb Yoke & TQ, CH Rudder Pedals, Logitech G13 Gamepad 

The pilots who work for my company - Challenger 604 & Gulfstream 200 aircraft - two of each - usually fly the approach by hand in VMC conditions.One of the checkouts for new pilot applicants is to hand fly an ILS approach danged near as well as the FMC could fly it.Basic rule is that anything which can break will at some time - almost always the worst possible time. The pilot must be ready and capable of flying the approach by hand.You cannot only practice hand flying approaches in a simulator.There are a LOT of airports world wide with commercial traffic with NO ILS.Almost every airport in the Caribbean.Continental Airlines/ Air Micronesia flies from Guam to Hawaii via the PGUM - PTKK - PTSA - PTPN - PKWA - PKMJ - PHNL route and back twice a week.The only ILS are at PGUM and PHNL.And yes, COA lost an aircraft (B727 - April 1980) years ago on a visual landing by a very experienced captain on Yap - PTYA. He was a very senior captain, but had not been doing visual landing much in his recent flying - and was a DC-10 pilot - not recently experienced in a B727.http://www.missingaircrew.com/pdf/AAR81-07.pdfPractice, Practice, Practice - the cardinal rule of flying.

Guest UKPilot

Hi, I fly the B737-800 in the UK as an FO. It is completley up to the pilot flying the sector if he wants to fly manual or not. Most leave the AP in until about 1000 ft then disconnect some leave it in as low as 200ft some take it out at 20000ft. It usually depends on weather, how busy the airport your flying into is and also generally how alert you feel, for example having done a flight to Egypt and back overnight, airmanship would tell you to leave the autopilot in until at least on final.Again though completley up to you. (well in my company anyway)CheersUKP

Pilots must maintain currency in hand flown approaches in VFR day, night, and (optionally guided by FD) but with longitudinal and vertical (if available) display on the PFD (primary flight display) in IMC if conditions permit.Changing to a visual pattern with approval by ATC as demanded by traffic seperation can reduce approach distance significantly for some arrival directions as opposed to following a long final via vectoring therefore saving time and fuel.

>>Practice, Practice, Practice - the cardinal rule of flying.Yes, true in FS as well...I find if I don't fly a particular type for a while, there is a little learning curve...especially on getting the landing "just right".I read your link to the report about the Cont/AMI B727 at Yap in 1980. That was a very methodical report. Considering all the fire, it could have been a lot worse.Rhett

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

Big respect from me to people like you UKP ! Nice reply, man.I love to stop on the way out the door when the pilot of FO stands and says goodnight to the passengers. Always like to drop a "nice landing" in on the way out. I feel they like to hear that.

Regards,

Max    

(YSSY)

i7-12700K | Corsair PC4-28700 DDR4 32Gb | Gigabyte RTX4090 24Gb | Gigabyte Z690 AORUS ELITE DDR4 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Guest CowlFlapsOpen

Had dinner the other night with a Jet Blue pilot and asked him this question. Along with all the caveats already noted, I had to smile when he said: "Most of us hand fly if possible, otherwise its boring".

Guest william273

thanks for the info guys! william