Sign in to follow this  
mikealpha

Nosewheel Steering

I have a hardware nosewheel tiller, can be defined via FSUIPC or now also via P3D directly.

However, moving rudder pedals and moving nosewheel tiller have exactly the same steering effect. Is there a chance to disconnect nosewheel steering from pedals, if a tiller is defined ? Maybe via Setup options ?

Also moving pedals moves the nosewheel tiller animation in the cockpit. But moving the hardware tiller does not move the animated nosewheel. That's weird.

Maybe something to consider in future version ? It would enhance the immersion even more.

Mike

1. A320 home cockpit (FSLabs, Skalarki), P3Dv5  Main PC : I7-12700K, GTX3080Ti

2. FSLabs A3xx, P3Dv5. Gigabyte Aorus 17G YC, I7-10700K, RTX 3080

15 minutes ago, mikealpha said:

I have a hardware nosewheel tiller, can be defined via FSUIPC or now also via P3D directly.

However, moving rudder pedals and moving nosewheel tiller have exactly the same steering effect. Is there a chance to disconnect nosewheel steering from pedals, if a tiller is defined ? Maybe via Setup options ?

Also moving pedals moves the nosewheel tiller animation in the cockpit. But moving the hardware tiller does not move the animated nosewheel. That's weird.

Maybe something to consider in future version ? It would enhance the immersion even more.

Mike

I've had mine Steering tiller setup in P3Dv4 all along.  I don't have any controls programmed thru P3D everything thru FSUIPC.  Mine works as it should, effective steering only thru the tiller but rudder can provide a bit of input.  The rudder should have SOME affect to steering as the pedals in the real aircraft allow steering up to 7* left or right while the tiller allows for the full 70* if I recall.  Then again those numbers might be from a different aircraft.  Eitherway, rudder is going to give you a bit of steering.  It might be harder than you think to disengage the Modelled tiller from the rudder, but I agree visually that would be awesome :-)

Brian Thibodeaux | B747-400/8, C-130 Flight Engineer, CFI, Type Rated: BE190, DC-9 (MD-80), B747-400

beta.gif   

My Liveries

15 hours ago, thibodba57 said:

The rudder should have SOME affect to steering as the pedals in the real aircraft allow steering up to 7* left or right while the tiller allows for the full 70* if I recall. 

Hm, that's weird, I don't get that. I get the same amount of pedals/tiller deflection, no matter if setup in P3D or via FSUIPC.

Anyway, no big deal at all. Nosewheel tiller is working, so it's a simple 'do not touch pedals during taxi'-workaround. So always remember do the flight control check before taxi :-)

Also of course, the correct nosewheel tiller animation would be just a 'nice to have'.

Mike

I have assigned the RZ-axis (twist axis) of my Thrustmaster T16000M flightstick via FSUIPC to the Maddog tiller. Nosewheel steering works, but the tiller in the VC does not move: it moves only when I use my rudder pedals.

Michael

Edited by michaelth

Michael Thesen

MSFS, HP Reverb G2, Gigabyte B760 32Gb, Samsung 970 EVO, Geforce RTX 4070-TI, Win11, i7-14700KF, Thrustmaster T16000M, Saitek Pro Flight Rudder Pedals

12 hours ago, michaelth said:

I have assigned the RZ-axis (twist axis) of my Thrustmaster T16000M flightstick via FSUIPC to the Maddog tiller. Nosewheel steering works, but the tiller in the VC does not move: it moves only when I use my rudder pedals.

Michael

Hmmm, I'll have a look tomorrow. In pretty sure my tiller moves.  Submit a ticket and suggest it as a new feature maybe for Davide to review.  Maybe load manager option to select hardware tiller support. So the pedals and the tiller are disconnected from each other.  That might not even be possible to program.  But it's worth a consideration. 

Brian Thibodeaux | B747-400/8, C-130 Flight Engineer, CFI, Type Rated: BE190, DC-9 (MD-80), B747-400

beta.gif   

My Liveries

p3d 4.2 here, and I can confirm Mikes’ observations, read: both tiller and rudder have a similar effect on steering.

We are looking into the option for FSUIPC users.

• Upvote 2

Michele Galmozzi

devteam.gif

It works firne for me...

In FSUIPC set the Axis You like to use for the Steering tiller to "Send direct to FSUIPC for calibration".

Do the same for the axis You want to use for the Rudder.

The got to the calibration tab and calibrate both Rudder and Steering tiller axis f.ex -16384 / -256, 256 / 16384.

Now on the ground only the Steering tiller axis will turn the nosewheel and the rudder has no effect. Accelerating from 0-60 knots will move control from the Steering tiller to the Rudder pedals gradually inorder to give the rudder full authority above 60 knots.

Finn Jacobsen

System: i7-10700K, 32GB RAM, RTX4070 12GB, 1 x 1TB SSD, 2 x 2TB SSD, 1x 2TB HDD, Win10 64bit Home, Meta Quest 3

3 hours ago, Wothan said:

It works firne for me...

In FSUIPC set the Axis You like to use for the Steering tiller to "Send direct to FSUIPC for calibration".

The got to the calibration tab and calibrate both Rudder and Steering tiller axis f.ex -16384 / -256, 256 / 16384.

Now on the ground only the Steering tiller axis will turn the nosewheel and the rudder has no effect. Accelerating from 0-60 knots will move control from the Steering tiller to the Rudder pedals gradually inorder to give the rudder full authority above 60 knots.

Finn Jacobsen

Sounds interesting. I'll try this out. Thanks for the input!

beta.gif   

My Liveries

On 28.2.2018 at 8:28 AM, Wothan said:

I tried to, but my tiller doesn't work at all when using "Send direct to FSUIPC for calibration".  In FSUIPC I have to select 'Steering set' from the list (sounds similar if connected via P3D -> Axis Steering Set).

That's maybe part of the problem. But I don't know how to change that. It's just a genuine one axis USB device.

Are you using P3D or FSX ? Maybe that's a difference ?

Mike

I use P3D V4.2 with FSUIPC 5.123e

Both the rudder and the tiller axis should be set to "Send direct to FSUIPC for calibration" and boh axis' should be calibrated to something like -1684, -256-256, 16384.

Note that on the ground standing still, moving the rudder will not move anything, while the tiller does. Above 60 kts the rudder will be fully effective, while the tiller won't.

FinnJ

System: i7-10700K, 32GB RAM, RTX4070 12GB, 1 x 1TB SSD, 2 x 2TB SSD, 1x 2TB HDD, Win10 64bit Home, Meta Quest 3