Zimmerbz

FPS/Stutter Question

Recommended Posts

I am curious about something regarding framerates.  Generally speaking, do frames / stutters fluctuate up or down depending on departure or arrival into an airport?  On my system, I seem to have no problem flying out of LAX, LGA, DCA, etc, or any other large airports in dense cities.  However, more often than not, I can’t fly into them.  I tried twice to do the Expressway visual at LGA and it was next to impossible because I kept getting stutters.  However, restart the sim, and departing from LGA in the same weather, was no problem.  I get a CTD when landing at SNA every time, but when departing it is fine (Latin VFR).  Landing into LAX is a problem 70% of the time but departing is no problem.  My question is, do FPS and stutters get worse as the flight goes on or are these issues specific to the airport and location?  Some payware I have no problems with (any Flightbeam, Orbx, FlyTampa) but other give me problems at times. 

 

I am flying the FSlabs and run Orbx (no vector). 

 

 

 

Win10, Gigabyte Aorus Z270x Gaming 5, LGA 1151, Intel 7th Gen Core i7 7700K (4.7GHz Overclock) Quad Core, Corsair Hydro Series H60 Liquid Cooling, 16GB G.Skill DDR4 SDRAM 2400MHz, 6GB Nvidia GeForce GTX 1060, PCI Express 3.0, 750 Watt Corsair RM Series Power Supply, 500GB Samsung EVO 850 Solid State Drive (SSD)

Share this post


Link to post
Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Are you sure your not hitting you VRAM limit? 1060 only has 6gb

Share this post


Link to post
4 minutes ago, Litmoose said:

Are you sure your not hitting you VRAM limit? 1060 only has 6gb

Um... I have no idea what that means to be honest!  Is this something I need to do and make sure I check?  If so, how would I figure that out?

Share this post


Link to post
15 minutes ago, Zimmerbz said:

Um... I have no idea what that means to be honest!  Is this something I need to do and make sure I check?  If so, how would I figure that out?

Download something like MSI afterburner. Make sure it is running when your using P3D, keep on eye on the graph for the GPU mem usage and if it starts getting close to 6gb you system will start to throttle back, I.E stutter. If that's the case you'll need to turn some settings down

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
4 minutes ago, Litmoose said:

Download something like MSI afterburner. Make sure it is running when your using P3D, keep on eye on the graph for the GPU mem usage and if it starts getting close to 6gb you system will start to throttle back, I.E stutter. If that's the case you'll need to turn some settings down

 

 

Ok.  Thanks.  So it sounds like it is a situation where I either A) throttle down some settings, or B) upgrade my GPU?  Based on my GPU, is the next best option the 1080TI or are there other options out there that will help but won't break the bank?  From my understanding the 1080ti is on high demand due to bitcoin mining and that has increased the cost and the availability.  Is there anything in the pipe that will be a newer, better option that you know of?

Share this post


Link to post

I wouldn't jump to any conclusion just yet, but the test I suggested it the most obvious culprit I can think of, and it will narrow the list of potential issues down by one straightaway

Share this post


Link to post
26 minutes ago, Zimmerbz said:

Ok.  Thanks.  So it sounds like it is a situation where I either A) throttle down some settings, or B) upgrade my GPU?  Based on my GPU, is the next best option the 1080TI or are there other options out there that will help but won't break the bank?  From my understanding the 1080ti is on high demand due to bitcoin mining and that has increased the cost and the availability.  Is there anything in the pipe that will be a newer, better option that you know of?

I think that mem usage would only be an issue if it's maxxed out, and unless you're using extreme settings (particularly a TEXTURE_SIZE_EXP value above 8) you should not be seeing VRAM usage much above 4GB even at 4K resolution.

More likely, you're maxxing out the GPU utilization, which will result in stutters.  I use eVGA PrecisionX16 to monitor mine on the LCD display of a Logitech G13 gamepad...you can also put it up superimposed on the corner of the window.  GPU utilization above 95% is getting into the stutter zone, as the GPU will miss frames when momentary spikes drive the load up to near 100% and the GPU can't keep pace with the workload thrown at it.  The 1060 is not a very strong card for P3Dv4, especially at 4K and/or if using SSAA/SGSS anti-aliasing.  Reducing the AA and pulling some sliders back (traffic, autogen, LOD) could help get GPU ute rate back down to where it can keep up.  When adjusting AA and sliders, I shoot for a maximum average GPU utilization of 70-80% to keep things smooth.

Last, if the sceneries you're having trouble with use SODE, make sure you have upgraded to SODE 1.6 or later, because it spreads the loading of the SODE scenery enhancements out to avoid big stutters induced when all the SODE objects try to load at once.

Regards

 

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, Zimmerbz said:

I am curious about something regarding framerates.  Generally speaking, do frames / stutters fluctuate up or down depending on departure or arrival into an airport?  On my system, I seem to have no problem flying out of LAX, LGA, DCA, etc, or any other large airports in dense cities.  However, more often than not, I can’t fly into them.  I tried twice to do the Expressway visual at LGA and it was next to impossible because I kept getting stutters.  However, restart the sim, and departing from LGA in the same weather, was no problem.  I get a CTD when landing at SNA every time, but when departing it is fine (Latin VFR).  Landing into LAX is a problem 70% of the time but departing is no problem.  My question is, do FPS and stutters get worse as the flight goes on or are these issues specific to the airport and location?  Some payware I have no problems with (any Flightbeam, Orbx, FlyTampa) but other give me problems at times. 

 

I am flying the FSlabs and run Orbx (no vector). 

 

 

 

Win10, Gigabyte Aorus Z270x Gaming 5, LGA 1151, Intel 7th Gen Core i7 7700K (4.7GHz Overclock) Quad Core, Corsair Hydro Series H60 Liquid Cooling, 16GB G.Skill DDR4 SDRAM 2400MHz, 6GB Nvidia GeForce GTX 1060, PCI Express 3.0, 750 Watt Corsair RM Series Power Supply, 500GB Samsung EVO 850 Solid State Drive (SSD)

I suspect u are overloading your GPU.  What are your AA settings and do u use dynamic lighting?  Even with my 1080ti I can saturate it pretty easily if I’m not careful.

Share this post


Link to post
39 minutes ago, mpw8679 said:

I suspect u are overloading your GPU.  What are your AA settings and do u use dynamic lighting?  Even with my 1080ti I can saturate it pretty easily if I’m not careful.

I'll have to check.  I am currently using DL in some situations that doesn't cripple the sim.  I've found of late, certain airports allow it and some don't.  I guess it depends on the day.  As for AA, I'd have to check tonight when I get home.

Share this post


Link to post
6 hours ago, mpw8679 said:

I suspect u are overloading your GPU.  What are your AA settings and do u use dynamic lighting?  Even with my 1080ti I can saturate it pretty easily if I’m not careful.

Right now on the latest setting I am using I have FXAA on, 8xMSAA, texture filtering 16x and ultra resolution. 

Max detail radius, high tesselation, 10m mesh res, 15 texture res. 

Complexity very dense, autogen draw distance high, vegetation density, very dense, autogen building density normal. 

Low special effects detail and distance, water detail medium. 

I switch dynamic lighting on or off depending how my departure airport can handle it.  Shadow quality is low and has a medium draw. 

Weather is AS with skyforce and have default settings there for the most part.  In the sim I have max draw distance and coverage density with detailed clouds and all of the other boxes checked  

 

Share this post


Link to post
39 minutes ago, Zimmerbz said:

Right now on the latest setting I am using I have FXAA on, 8xMSAA, texture filtering 16x and ultra resolution. 

Max detail radius, high tesselation, 10m mesh res, 15 texture res. 

Complexity very dense, autogen draw distance high, vegetation density, very dense, autogen building density normal. 

Low special effects detail and distance, water detail medium. 

I switch dynamic lighting on or off depending how my departure airport can handle it.  Shadow quality is low and has a medium draw. 

Weather is AS with skyforce and have default settings there for the most part.  In the sim I have max draw distance and coverage density with detailed clouds and all of the other boxes checked  

 

I would recommend lowering your AA to 4XMSAA, disable FXAA, and lower your cloud draw distance for starters.  That should free up your GPU a little.  

Share this post


Link to post

You might want to install GPU-Z ( https://www.techpowerup.com/gpuz/ ). It's freeware and will tell you everything you need to know about your GPU VRAM usage, load, etc..........Doug

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now