Sign in to follow this  
gregmorin

GTX 1080 worse than GTX960

I thought of something else (Dylan's comment is also good).  Running on Turbo mode is more different than one might think and believe it or not it may not work as well with the ESP derivatives (FSX/P3D) especially to mitigate some types of stuttering.

Providing your CPU cooler can keep the temps in check (at least long enough to test) I would try overclocking to 4.3GHz with no tweaks (none whatsoever) and see how that affects the stuttering. The utility that comes with your motherboard will likely have a utility to help make the overclock very easy to accomplish.

I checked, and I actually have all four cores set to 4.5 on my i7-4770K, not 4.3 as I said earlier.

By the way, I've done some testing and comparisons to later processors out now, and I see little reason to upgrade my computer.  That Haswell is truly an EXCELLENT processor for what we're doing!

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

Dave Hodges

System Specs:  I9-13900KF, NVIDIA 4070TI, Quest 3, Multiple Displays, Lots of TERRIFIC friends, 3 cats, and a wonderfully stubborn wife.

12 hours ago, DylanM said:

Greg - two questions. Are you running P3D off an SSD (with the cache driver enabled) and have you been able to enable the XMP profile for your memory?

Dylan

I have my operating system on a 250GB Samsung 850 EVO SSD. P3DV4.2 is on a 1TB Samsung 850 EVO. I use a 2TB HHD for storage. How do I tell if the cache driver is enabled? What is the XMP profile of my Memory?

Here are my specs

1080specs.jpg

CPU.jpg

1080D.jpg

Memory.jpg

cpu2.jpg

mem1.jpg

Thanks for you help

Greg

Greg Morin

Commercial ASMEL Instrument CFI

Beta Tester i Blue Yonder, Flightbeam and Milviz

12 hours ago, DaveCT2003 said:

I thought of something else (Dylan's comment is also good).  Running on Turbo mode is more different than one might think and believe it or not it may not work as well with the ESP derivatives (FSX/P3D) especially to mitigate some types of stuttering.

Providing your CPU cooler can keep the temps in check (at least long enough to test) I would try overclocking to 4.3GHz with no tweaks (none whatsoever) and see how that affects the stuttering. The utility that comes with your motherboard will likely have a utility to help make the overclock very easy to accomplish.

I checked, and I actually have all four cores set to 4.5 on my i7-4770K, not 4.3 as I said earlier.

By the way, I've done some testing and comparisons to later processors out now, and I see little reason to upgrade my computer.  That Haswell is truly an EXCELLENT processor for what we're doing!

Dave

I am using a Noctua NH-D15 SSO2 D-Type Premium CPU Cooler, NF-A15 x 2 PWM Fans that keeps my CPU reasonably cool. I have never overclocked and thought that the turbo boost would be sufficient. I agree with your testing and comparisons on the new processors, that is why I tried just up dating the GPU. Earlier you asked what settings I was using in P3DV4.2. I have tried a lot of different settings. Outside of my problem areas, the higher settings are actually smoother than the lower ones. I currently have no tweaks in the CFG. I was using TEXTURE_SIZE_EXP=9 and 
AffinityMask=253. Those tweaks really smoothed out my set up with the GTX 960. I have my frames locked at 30fps. I do not use the Nvidia utilities.

Would you please suggest an overclocking tutorial and I will give it a try.

Thanks,

For your help,

Greg

Greg Morin

3 hours ago, gregmorin said:

Dylan

I have my operating system on a 250GB Samsung 850 EVO SSD. P3DV4.2 is on a 1TB Samsung 850 EVO. I use a 2TB HHD for storage. How do I tell if the cache driver is enabled? What is the XMP profile of my Memory?

Thanks Greg - you've got a solid system and those temps look great. To enable the cache driver on the EVO SSDs, install the Samsung Magician software and enable RAPID mode in the settings. And can you post a picture of the SPD tab in CPU-Z - that should list the XMP profile settings for your memory.

And I also agree with Dave that the 4770 is a gem of a processor and is fantastically simple processor to overclock. You can try finding a relatively conservative overclock to set your clock at (4.2 -4.4) while still enabling Hyperthreading and XMP. You should then disable Intel Turbo Boost as that can be the source of stutters on some systems.

I have 2 8gig EVGA 1070's SuperClocked in SLI which is what I recommend.

Regards

bs

AMD RYZEN 9 5900X 12 CORE CPU - ZOTAC RTX 3060Ti GPU - NZXT H510i ELITE CASE - EVO M.2 970 500GB DRIVE - 32GB XTREEM 4000 MEM - XPG GOLD 80+ 650 WATT PS - NZXT 280 HYBRID COOLER

5 hours ago, DylanM said:

Thanks Greg - you've got a solid system and those temps look great. To enable the cache driver on the EVO SSDs, install the Samsung Magician software and enable RAPID mode in the settings. And can you post a picture of the SPD tab in CPU-Z - that should list the XMP profile settings for your memory.

And I also agree with Dave that the 4770 is a gem of a processor and is fantastically simple processor to overclock. You can try finding a relatively conservative overclock to set your clock at (4.2 -4.4) while still enabling Hyperthreading and XMP. You should then disable Intel Turbo Boost as that can be the source of stutters on some systems.

Dylan

I downloaded the Samsung Magician and enabled rapid mode on my F (Flight Sim) drive. It appears that rapid can only be activated on SSD. When the C was set to rapid, rapid was show as unavailable for the F drive. When I enabled it on the F drive it became unavailable on the C drive.

I used the ASUS extreme tuning utility to set my clock to 4.4ghz. I set the cache to 4.2ghz. I disabled the turbo boost with the same utility.

Overclock1.jpg

Memory info

Memory1.jpg

Memory2.jpg

Thanks for the help

Greg

Greg Morin

Your poor performance is due to your RAM speed.  It's not even running at rated speed (2133) but only 1333MT/s.  Hasse (Westman) and myself have tested this on numerous occasions.  ESP-platform simulator performance is heavily dependent on RAM speed.  Minimum frame rates are most impacted by this aspect of system performance, as slow RAM leads to everything else just sitting around and waiting.  

• Upvote 1

29 minutes ago, TechguyMaxC said:

Your poor performance is due to your RAM speed.  It's not even running at rated speed (2133) but only 1333MT/s.  Hasse (Westman) and myself have tested this on numerous occasions.  ESP-platform simulator performance is heavily dependent on RAM speed.  Minimum frame rates are most impacted by this aspect of system performance, as slow RAM leads to everything else just sitting around and waiting.  

Thanks Techguy!

My ram maybe the issue. I did have a ram incident when I was testing a beta product. I am not sure if I can still get RAM for my Z87 pro motherboard.

Interestingly, I put my GTX 960 back in the machine and my performance went back up at KSFO, KLAX and EDDF. I am getting at steady 30 FPS at KSFO with NCA enabled, 25-30 at KLAX with SCA enabled and a steady 30 FPS at EDDF with GES enabled.

Greg

Greg Morin

Greg,

unless your RAM is malfunctioning, you shouldn't need to purchase new RAM in this case.  Your motherboard UEFI will have an option to select RAM speed.  Currently, this option is set to what is likely the lowest speed your motherboard supports, for compatibility reasons.  If you go into your motherboard's UEFI look for verbiage including:

XMP

RAM clock speed

Once you find the appropriate section, look for either an XMP profile or set your RAM speed to 2133 manually.  

If you need further instruction check your motherboard's manual.  

I am certainly learning a lot from this experience. I tried an OC of 4.5ghz and got a BSD. Tried an OC of 4.4ghz and got BSD during final on approach to KSFO in the PMDG 738. I was able to complete a flight at KSFO in the 738 at 4.3ghz. I have set a XMP profile for the 2133. CPU-Z is still giving me the same readings as above so it is probable that the RAM was in fact damaged when it crashed.

I think my options are to stay with the GTX 960 or up date the whole computer to utilize the GTX 1080. We will see what "she who controls the checkbook and pays the bills". has to say.

Thank you all from your help and encouragement.

Greg

Greg Morin

Greg,

Hang in there... I'm sure the collective here can help you.

Can you please run a stress test on your CPU and GPU?  This will tell us what the highest stable OC should be.  Also, I'm better that thing got pretty hot at 4.5GHz... I run a water cooler to prevent mine from getting hot.  I've run them on three systems thus far and would never consider doing otherwise.  It's only about $110 for a very good one and if you do decide to do a new computer build you can always move it over.

There are a lot of great coolers available today, but I'm running the Corsair and love it.  Very easy to install than others are.  Hands down the the best computer based investment i've ever made.

4.3 GHz with the air cooler should be fine by the way.  I'd love to see you run without AF and with and without HT.

Dave Hodges

System Specs:  I9-13900KF, NVIDIA 4070TI, Quest 3, Multiple Displays, Lots of TERRIFIC friends, 3 cats, and a wonderfully stubborn wife.

There is nothing wrong with your memory speed! Running two matched memory modules in DDR is 2 X 1066MHz = 2133Mhz...your timings do seem to show you're clocked at your XMP 1 profile.

Edited by DylanM
  • Upvote 1

Greg,

I know what it's like to have to go it alone when working a problem.  Tell you what, I belong to a private flight sim group (all wonderful, friendly people and fairly seasoned).  Should you ever wish to discuss the issue you're having then feel free to drop by our voice (Discord) server. I've sent you the information to join us on the server.

Best wishes.

Edited by DaveCT2003
  • Like 1

Dave Hodges

3 hours ago, DylanM said:

There is nothing wrong with your memory speed! Running two matched memory modules in DDR is 2 X 1066MHz = 2133Mhz...your timings do seem to show you're clocked at your XMP 1 profile.

His max bandwidth is showing 667 (667x2 =1333).

Edited by FunknNasty

On 4/1/2018 at 4:48 AM, gregmorin said:

mem1.jpg

It is this slide (the "Memory" tab) that shows the memory speed... 1068.4 x 2 = 2136.8 MHz.  The other slide(s) (the "SPD" tabs) just show the available JEDEC/XMP profiles. 

Greg... having gone from a 970 to a 1080 myself (on a Haswell system) after moving from FSX to P3Dv4 late last summer, I hope you'll press on with the new video card.  It may take a bit of time and experimenting with different configurations, but the 1080 does quite well with v4.

Good luck,

Greg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1