Sign in to follow this  
HighFlier

Question on Callouts

So I was flying on VATSIM today, and I was on approach (about 10 nm out) to a runway. I was then told to sidestep to a parallel runway, which I accepted with no issues. However, on landing, I smacked into the ground. This was much to my surprise. I didn't hear any callouts and I normally rely on the 20 callout as my signal to flare. The only reason I can think of was that I did not update the FMC to reflect the change in runway. I was cleared for a visual so I didn't see a need to update the FMC. Do the callouts require the FMC to be programmed with the correct landing runway?

Edited by HighFlier

9 minutes ago, HighFlier said:

Do the callouts require the FMC to be programmed with the correct landing runway?

Nope. Based on radio alt. I'm guessing you either:

1. Were concentrating on the sidestep and weren't paying attention,
  2. Were flying in a different livery that does not use them, or
  3. Have an improperly configured sound setup (which can occasionally happen due to sim and/or driver updates)

Kyle Rodgers

Wow that was  quick response.

I think I can rule the last case out because I haven't changed my sim setup and I've had no driver updates in the past week, and I've done 5 or 6 flights in that time without any issues.

As for the second case, I just checked the settings I have for that livery. I have the 50, 30, 20, and 10 callouts all on. However, I just did a quick test by flying a circuit (using the same livery), and I'm not getting any callouts. Should I send in a ticket?

EDIT: NVM. I took a closer look. Despite having those specific altitude callouts on, the "Altitude Callouts" setting was off.

Edited by HighFlier

15 hours ago, HighFlier said:

I normally rely on the 20 callout as my signal to flare.

I don't think that is a good idea for many reasons. You should have a visual on the runway and environment and be using what you see as the guide for flare.  As you descend to the touchdown zone shift your visual focus to the far end of the runway and you will find it much easier to gauge descent rate and distance to touchdown.  Speeds need to be spot on of course.  If this isn't easy then you haven't done it enough times.

Dan Downs KCRP

13 hours ago, downscc said:

I don't think that is a good idea for many reasons. You should have a visual on the runway and environment and be using what you see as the guide for flare.  As you descend to the touchdown zone shift your visual focus to the far end of the runway and you will find it much easier to gauge descent rate and distance to touchdown.  Speeds need to be spot on of course.  If this isn't easy then you haven't done it enough times.

I’m already doing that actually, I just use the callouts as indicators for when to do what. Upon hearing the 50 feet callout, I switch my visual focus from the aiming point to the far end of the runway. Upon hearing the 20 feet callout, I initiate my flare and I use the far end of the runway as guidance for how much to pitch up. At least that was the impression I got watching others. I very well could be mistaken.

4 hours ago, HighFlier said:

I’m already doing that actually, I just use the callouts as indicators for when to do what. Upon hearing the 50 feet callout, I switch my visual focus from the aiming point to the far end of the runway. Upon hearing the 20 feet callout, I initiate my flare and I use the far end of the runway as guidance for how much to pitch up. At least that was the impression I got watching others. I very well could be mistaken.

I think it's mainly the prompting.

To me, those callouts are confirmations. For you, they're prompts. I'd mark it up to style differences, but my personal opinion is that you should be aware enough to make all of your judgments out the window alone, with the calls as supplemental/conformational information (say you started to flare based on vision alone, and then heard a callout a little 'later' than normal - you began your flare a little early - make an adjustment and continue).

Kyle Rodgers