Sign in to follow this  
STUART_H

Your top 5 favourite freeware downloads

So what are your top 5 freeware downloads from avsim or elsewhere? You can provide more then 5 if you wish. Please explain why. Mine at the moment:-1. Project AI packageThis package basically make Traffic 2004 look like a joke (seriously!)Detailed aircraft, easier on frames. 2.Vistaoz 0.99 (decided to stick with 0.99 as later releases are harder on my system). Long time waiting for Australian terrain add-on. Just really looks great and its free. 3. Airport upgrade 6 (i downloaded 7 and thought 6 looked better, correct me if I'm wrong). This download provides a much more realistic look to taxiways, runways, and terminal buildings. 4.YPAD Adelaide International 'under construction' gmax. This is probably my favourite airport addon (even amongst my payware collection). Includes moving traffic around the airport, i.e postal vans, trucks, cars, airport security cars etc. Also the tree textures look fantastic, using Nova/Nova Gold textures, and of course this airport is framerate friendly. 5. YMML Melbourne INternational gmax.Again a really great airport add-on which depicts Melbourne Int. accurately and looks great. In fact, YPAD and YMML are far better then some payware airports I've bought. Again this airport is easier on frames. I'm sure there are heaps more that I haven't thought of, and I haven't explored aircraft downloads yet, so any suggestions would be welcome.CheersTristan

In no particular order:- George Grimshaw's stunning Boston Logan version 2. FlyTampa payware quality for free.- Anything done by Milton Shupe and his team. That includes the Dash-7, the Aero Commander/Shrike Commander series (the updated AC 520 hit the library this week), the mighty Howard 500, Beech 18, and Spartan 7W.- Anything done by Bill and Lynn Lyons. I've got the Goose, PA-22, PA-23, Waco, and Luscombe 8A.- Dakota Smith's new KATL AFCAD featuring the recently-opened runway 10/28. I fly out of ATL a lot for Delta Virtual Airlines and it's nice to have the new runway and taxiways.- Jordan Moore's Bell 412 from Hovercontrol. I can't fly helicopters worth a poop, but when I learn, this is the beast I want to master. It's fantastic.Lewis "Moose" GregoryRichmond, Virginia

Guest Roadkill

Moose, I echo your enthusiasm for the work of Bill and Lynn Lyons. You are shorting yourself if you don't have their Tri-Pacer and TravelAir packages. The Luscombe you mentioned is my default hedge-hopper.

Guest Roadkill

Tristan, The Project AI file intrigued me, but I need more of a description to locate it. Do you have the file name, or author's name, etc? Much appreciated.

It's hard to pick among scenery and aircraft--there's many close ones out there. In general, anything I download from Bill Lyons I fly over and over again--that's the highest praise I can give anyone. Holger's mesh for the Alps is hands down my favorite scenery add-on. But the most memorable add-on for me falls under the utility category--Matthias Neusinger's Recorder module which records flights, but does so much more. I don't like comparing to specific payware titles, but I can say its tower and spot view features rival or exceed its payware counterparts in some areas. I consider it the top freeware title I ever installed for FS2004, and it certainly exceeds any project I have ever done.-John

Any CanUk scenery, the CYWG they did is very cool.Flight Ontario's stuff is also amazing. What they did to the golden horse shoe area is simply too sweet. And North Bay is also very well done.Hellas scenry project has some neat stuff too but I don't fly in greece much.Dave Maltby's BAC 111 is an awesome thing too.

1. Fly Tampa's Boston airport freeware2. Albenga photoreal scenery: http://www.napulevola.it/products/2006.aspx3. Daisuke Yamamoto & TEAM FS KBT Boeing F/A-18e http://www.gjsmith.net/Textures/f18.htm4. Dan's Tucson photo scenery http://c130sim.com/phpBB1/viewforum.php?f=25. blue_sky_v2.0.zip6. juliana2.zip & st.barths_2004.zip (Princess Juliana and St. Barths airports)7. antilles200413.exe (Carribean neatherland Antillies)8. Shea's Palm Springs (psp2004.zip), Orange Country, LaGuardia airports9. Bill Melichar's Hawaii airports. There are 6 of them I believe.10. and Oh yeah... VOZ. :)11. Hoover control Choppers. 12. AI GA Traffic.Well!.. I am sure, I have a few other good ones.Manny

Manny

Beta tester for SIMStarter 

OMG.. I forgot 13. the recent Kai Tak Airport.. with the 13 ILS as well as the photoscnery.Dang!, how could I have left that one out.and14. alternative_nav_lights.zip (I could actually say,,,this is my fav add on ever)

Manny

Beta tester for SIMStarter 

Guest jacob001

In no particular order:1. Malta Intl Airport v.1.0 (http://library.avsim.net/esearch.php?CatID=fs2004scen&DLID=73161)2. Okay, this isn't on Avsim (I don't think), but still... the BAe Panel Project (www.baepanelproject.com)3. The iFly 744 (on those rare occasions when I fly a computerised monster!)4. The Tupolev Tu-144 (I can't remember the author). Anyone who has seen my previous posts will now of my obsession with Tu-144s!5. Logan Boston v.2.0It was with great indecision that I included aeroplanes - with well over a hundred a/c's it wasn't easy (nearly 600 counting AI, things that I forget uninstall when I discover how bad they are, demos that I never uninstall and all the other junk cluttering up the A/C folder. I shan't mention the scenery folder...! :-) )

Guest jprintz

1. Recorder Module 1.2 (new!)2. FS Moving Map3. US Roads and Rivers4. Airport Environment upgrade5. any of ISD's Italian airports/ sceneries

Guest Dominique

A good way to honor the best freeware contributions. Aircraft : Milton's Shupe Spartan and Beech 18 - Robert Sanderson's Stearman 75 -Rick Piper's HS748 - David Matlby Bac 111 Utilities : Project AI indeed.Scenery : the 38m US meshes that FSgenesis graciously donated to the community - Martin Strong's Thailand airports - Bill Melichar's Hawaii airport - Holger Sandman' Columbia Gorge. Outstanding jobs, on par with the best payware, thanks guys...

Guest CowlFlapsOpen

To everyone else's list I MUST add a few utilities:our very own Ken Salter's FS Configurator and FSAutostart (is that the sound of staggering applause I hear?)Thomas Moliter's AITM (v2 in perpetual alpha but works great) ACA 2005 (just got even better with a new release, 1.2)Lee Swordy's AFCAD and Traffic Tools

1. Boston Logan2. Recorder Module3. Vista Australis4. VHHH 20055. Aardvark and FSPainter AI

Regards,

Max    

(YSSY)

i7-12700K | Corsair PC4-28700 DDR4 32Gb | Gigabyte RTX4090 24Gb | Gigabyte Z690 AORUS ELITE DDR4 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Guest firehawk44

Wow! Can't believe it! 13 or 14 posts already and no one has mentioned POSKY aircraft. Usually they are on top of everyones list of freeware. I agree with previous posters in regard to their freeware selections. There are a lot of very talented individuals who add immeasurably to this hobby and I, for one, really appreciate their hard work.Best regards,JimYoung