Sign in to follow this  
TrainNutter

Carenado Saab 340 crashing sim

Hi,

I installed the Carenado SAAB 340 this morning and flew it at EGPD (UK2000 Free Scenery).It ran fine. However, when I tried to fly it at LOWI (ORBX Scenery) and it was running at 10fps and when I tried to take a screenshot, it crashed. It crashed multiple times before I was able to do that. However I have not tried the Lite livery (I don't really want to ).

My Specs:

Intel i7-6770HQ

Nvidia Geforce GTX 960

8GB RAM

128GB SSD (Windows Drive)

1TB HDD (Stores all games)

Edited by TrainNutter

TrainNutter - Founder of MiniBit Computers LTD

https://www.minibitcomputers.com

Hi,

Was this a just CTD (crash to desktop) or did you have any prior warning such as an 'out of memory' message? 

Even the Lite version (which I use in FSX) of the SF340 has a fairly heavy VAS footprint so the full version combined with some VAS intense scenery could possibly be getting close to the 4GB FSX memory limitation.

Bill

1 minute ago, scianoir said:

Hi,

Was this a just CTD (crash to desktop) or did you have any prior warning such as an 'out of memory' message? 

Even the Lite version (which I use in FSX) of the SF340 has a fairly heavy VAS footprint so the full version combined with some VAS intense scenery could possibly be getting close to the 4GB FSX memory limitation.

Bill

I had an 'Out of Memory' error once and all the other times it froze (White colour saturation) and a blank error message. Only once it was a Crash to Desktop (After windows debug "FSX Has Stopped working")

32 minutes ago, scianoir said:

Hi,

Bill

I didn't realise that FSX was limited to 4GB of RAM.

2 hours ago, TrainNutter said:

Yes the 4GB limitation is perhaps the biggest bugbear of FSX so you have to be a little cautious about the combination of aircraft and scenery you are using in terms of their VAS footprint. Even the LITE version of the Carenado SF340 has a VAS footprint of about 1.05GB which is actually larger than that of the Carenado Fokker 50 LITE. Out of curiosity I just tried a flight out of Orbx LOWI this morning with a LITE SF340 and even with this version the VAS usage was almost at the 4GB threshold while starting the flight on the ramp and I got the dreaded OOM 'gong' as soon as I opened a couple of 2D pop-up windows!

The LITE version of the 340 uses about 250MB less than the full version but you lose the passenger cabin views although otherwise, as far as I can see everything else is the same. Although not having a visible passenger cabin personally doesn't bother me very much, clearly even the LITE version combined with Orbx LOWI is just a step too far so I am not surprised you had issues with the 'full fat' version! No choice for me then but to use the great Majestic Q400 for my turboprop airliner flights out of LOWI - that amazing aircraft, despite its systems depth, only uses just over 400MB of VAS but I guess on the Carenado 340 you are experiencing the down side of all that eye candy!

Bill

Edited by scianoir

22 hours ago, scianoir said:

Yes the 4GB limitation is perhaps the biggest bugbear of FSX so you have to be a little cautious about the combination of aircraft and scenery you are using in terms of their VAS footprint. Even the LITE version of the Carenado SF340 has a VAS footprint of about 1.05GB which is actually larger than that of the Carenado Fokker 50 LITE. Out of curiosity I just tried a flight out of Orbx LOWI this morning with a LITE SF340 and even with this version the VAS usage was almost at the 4GB threshold while starting the flight on the ramp and I got the dreaded OOM 'gong' as soon as I opened a couple of 2D pop-up windows!

The LITE version of the 340 uses about 250MB less than the full version but you lose the passenger cabin views although otherwise, as far as I can see everything else is the same. Although not having a visible passenger cabin personally doesn't bother me very much, clearly even the LITE version combined with Orbx LOWI is just a step too far so I am not surprised you had issues with the 'full fat' version! No choice for me then but to use the great Majestic Q400 for my turboprop airliner flights out of LOWI - that amazing aircraft, despite its systems depth, only uses just over 400MB of VAS but I guess on the Carenado 340 you are experiencing the down side of all that eye candy!

Bill

Yeah, But then to be fair, the Carenado SAAB 340 is 3 days old and needs some bugs squishing and optimisation.

On 5/2/2018 at 5:47 AM, TrainNutter said:

Just to be sure and you understand, FSX, like ALL 32 bit applications and games you play on the Internet, get up to 4GB's of Virtual Address Space (VAS) and that is NOT RAM.  Microsoft limits VAS for all 32 bit apps IF you have a 64 bit operating system.  If you have a 32 bit OS, then your max is 2GB's but that can be increased up to 3 GB's if you use the appropriate /3GB switch.  This is why many move to 64 bit applications like P3DV4 (v3.4 and below are 32 bit apps).  Then the VAS is nearly unlimited.

Carenado installs a weather gauge module, CMeteoXml.dll, which seems to work well as long as you do not have any nasty weather conditions.  This module loads via the dll.xml location in your user/roaming/Microsoft/FSX folder (hidden folder and same locations as the FSX.cfg).  You can disable this module from loading (you really do not need it).  A couple of weeks ago I was getting an unexplained crash that went away if I disabled AS16.  Turned out it was not AS16 but the CMeteoXml.dll causing the crashes.  The AVSIM CTD Guide, page 14, shows you how to disable this module in your dll.xml to test to see if this module is causing the crashes you are experiencing.

• Like 1

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10