Sign in to follow this  
caleb1

SkyForce Lacks in This. Does ActiveSky Include it?

I have REX SkyForce3D, and one of the things I notice in SkyForce is it loads the weather in your location that way everywhere. For example, if you start a fight in the eye of hurricane everywhere on earth will be clear, that is until you fly into into the hurricane without knowing it, then Sky Force reloads the weather on you! 

Does ActiveSky include features like this where weather loads correctly everywhere, so that you can fly into eyes of hurricanes and fly around isolated thunderstorms while seeing them around you, and all that good stuff?

Thanks.

Edited by caleb1

Caleb Byers

PC: HP Envy 750, Intel Core i7 6700 @ 3.4 GHz (max 4.0 GHz), 24GB RAM, Nvidia GeForce GTX 745 with 4GB Memory, 2TB SSHD Windows 10 Home 64 bit.

Simulators:  Prepar3D v3.4, Prepar3D v4.5, FSX:SE, FSX:Gold Edition

Using the FSX Deluxe Edition SDK SP2 for development.

caleb,

Can you please provide some screen shots of what you're seeing?  Either I'm misunderstanding you, or I haven't seen what you're talking about.

Best wishes.

• Like 1

Dave Hodges

System Specs:  I9-13900KF, NVIDIA 4070TI, Quest 3, Multiple Displays, Lots of TERRIFIC friends, 3 cats, and a wonderfully stubborn wife.

If I am using the active sky weather engine, and I start a flight at KSEA (for example).  The weather at KSEA is Clear skies.  KBFI (which is very close to KSEA) has rainy skies.  I takeoff out of KSEA and look toward KBFI, what will I see if I am using Active Sky:

A) A cloud of rain over KBFI (even if I am not in it).

or

B) Clear skies as far as I can see, that is until I fly right over KBFI and the weather reloads, then I will be in rain.

Note that this is not a support request this is a "before purchase question" as you could call it.

Are things more clear now?

Thanks

Caleb Byers

PC: HP Envy 750, Intel Core i7 6700 @ 3.4 GHz (max 4.0 GHz), 24GB RAM, Nvidia GeForce GTX 745 with 4GB Memory, 2TB SSHD Windows 10 Home 64 bit.

Hi Caleb, ActiveSky gathers data from all over the world and uses the METAR's from all reporting airports to depict weather.  For your example you have chosen 2 stations which are relatively close to each other, lets look at KSEA and KPDX which is a greater distance.  You will see clear skies over KSEA and as you fly south there will be a gradual buildup of cloud and finally rain over KPDX.   The area around your flight path will display weather based on all the METAR's along the way.  Generally it is recommend that a flight plan be loaded into ActiveSky.  For the most part ActiveSky has done away with instant weather reloads but you will notice from time to time a known Z-order issue where textures may "pop" into view.  Those are few and far between.  One other thing worth mentioning is that HiFi has pioneered the design and use of ASCA (ActiveSky Cloud Art) which is cloud texture and sky color app which seamlessly injects clouds ranging in different textures and sizes based on weather, time and season and will change these textures on the fly.  There is no need to quit the sim to install new textures any longer.  Simply install a texture set and the select one of the dynamic weather settings in ASCA.  Hope this helps.

• Like 1

\Robert Hamlich/

Ok.  This is a great feature that SkyForce currently lacks.  REX says that they might add this in an update but I might rather get ActiveSky.

https://www.realenvironmentxtreme.com/forums/index.php?/topic/48699-skyforce-lacks-in-this-will-weatherforce-include-it/

I might move to Active Sky from SkyForce sometime. :smile:

Caleb Byers

Sounds good.  Watch for the sales that pop up from time to time.  

• Like 1

\Robert Hamlich/

18 hours ago, HUSSAR said:

Sounds good.  Watch for the sales that pop up from time to time.  

That's the plan! :smile:

Caleb Byers

I'm sorry if this was included in your previous answer, but from what I understand, when using ASP4, I can see rain, clouds, low vis etc. next to me even when you are not in the rain, correct?  Or do I need to be in the rain to see rain?

I have encountered this in real life many times, where we live in Florida you can fly between and around thunderstorms and you can see the thunderstorms next to you.  I was wondering if Active Sky simulates seeing the weather when you are not in it.

Sorry for so many questions, I just want to be really careful about weather engine purchases in the future.

Caleb Byers

ActiveSky currently does not simulate rain shafts but it does simulate entering and exiting rain extremely well.

• Like 1

\Robert Hamlich/

57 minutes ago, HUSSAR said:

ActiveSky currently does not simulate rain shafts but it does simulate entering and exiting rain extremely well.

Ah, ok.  That's what they're called.  Rain shafts.  I didn't know that. :smile:

Does anyone know of any weather engine that does simulate rain shafts (seeing weather even though you are not in it)?

Thanks.

Caleb Byers

So I am trying to "re-word" my question as I am not sure if my other questions were clear enough to get a correct answer.  Please bear with me:

So when ASP4 "injects" weather into the sim, will it find the weather for the weather station that is nearest to you and load that weather everywhere in the world, or will it check individual weather stations and load each weather stations' weather above where each weather station is?

Thanks for bearing with me and answering my questions. :smile:

Caleb

Caleb Byers

Hi again Caleb.  The weather will not be the same everywhere in the world.  Whether you are on the ground or in the air, each weather station is depicted as per the METAR in the area that you are in.  ActiveSky will gather and introduce the weather from each weather station within sight based on your settings and you will experience the weather as reported along your flight path with seamless changes.  It is important to remember to load a flight plan in ActiveSky for best results.

\Robert Hamlich/

Ok.  This is what SkyForce lacks in.

Thanks a lot.  This clears things up.

Caleb Byers