thenikos

1st day of using paid pilot2atc

hi, this is my 1st day after i bought pilot2atc and in general i could say that im happy 🙂  i am from crete, in greece and i made a test vfr flight, with simple fsx cessna from LGSA (chania) airport to LGIR (iraklion)

my questions are these:

1. i filed a very simple flight plan, vfr, lgsa departure, lgir arrival. i press validate, it greened, then i pressed filed, it greened also. but after some seconds they turned both back to white. is it normal?

2. i made a gate to gate flight (or wanted to). from lgsa, i didnt have any problem: i conctated the right freqs, i got airway to depart, clearences etc etc. (no question here).

3. when i was close to lgir, i asked for a vectored approach, pretending i didnt know how to land. they gave me runway, and very clear orders how to land. like altitute, hdg etc etc till i see the runway in front of me. but i had a problem: the orders were coming very very fast i couldnt compete: like alt 3000.... hdg 250... alt 2800..... hgd 270 etc etc. i dont use voice, just say it command, so imagine i couldnt even press the say it button to confirm my "orange" saying.
the question here is: why this happens? is it possible to correct it somehow?

4. when i landed i was instructed to go to lgir ground. but there i couldnt find a command in request drop down menu, for getting a gate or parking place to put my plane. why is that?

5. here i have to mention: i asked in avsim forums for a atc program which works in fsx, p3d and xplane, to be able to give instructions how to land in an unknown airport, under bad weather. they told me that there is no such atc program. but ... pilot2atc did exactly that !!! and to make it more real, the weather today over lgir (heraklion) was very cloudy and i couldnt even see where is the airport. so pilot2atc directed me very very correctly to find the runway 27 and land 🙂 thank you dave 🙂

6. in pages 176-178 of the manual are the commands we could give to the towers. but i cant understand all of them what they mean.or when we should use them. its my 1st time using an atc system so complex. is there a way to get a detailed explanation from somewhere, what each command does exactly? the way the manual is written , is for somebody who knows how to communicate with an atc center or what to do with it. but the rest of us? 

7. is there a way to get the numbers in atc written in numerical way and not by letters? like contact ground center at 127.10 and not one two seven point one zero? it would help me a lot 🙂 and many other people english is not our primary languange 🙂

8. i heard many many people saying pilot2atc is complex, even pcpilot magazine that i like it a lot and i trust it in general. i also heard it has programming problems etc. i would say for somebody totally word not allowed like me, retarted i could say, in computer flight sim world, i did very very well. i almost understood everything, made flight plans. i could say a very big well done to dave. but the program needs improving for sure. maybe a little ... design finishing 🙂 🙂 a woman's touch 🙂 i really dont know 🙂 especially for people like me, who are interested only in the written text way of using it. but as i said it was my 1st day that i used it so much.

9. thank you everybody who read this

• Like 1

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Nikos,

Glad you're enjoying the program.  I'll try and respond to each of your numbered points.

1) If you make any changes to the flight plan, or do any of several other actions, the File button is supposed to turn white.  However, there could be a bug causing this if you didn't make any changes.  I'm looking into it. 

2) Great.

3) When getting vectors, the controller may not be able to wait for you to respond.  The best way to avoid being rushed is to let the copilot handle radio responses.  Or just perform the heading and altitude changes and respond to the last one give pressing the SayIt button.  You should not have to search for the response as it should be in the Speech Text window.

4) Once on Ground frequency, there should be a Request->Taxi type that will let you request taxi to the Gate, Ramp, etc.

5) Thanks!

6) Yes.  The program assumes some knowledge of ATC interaction.  Using the copilot to handle the radios and viewing a few of the many videos out there of flights with Pilot2ATC should get you comfortable with the flow.  If you use the copilot, the only phrases you need to say/find in SayIt are when you are initiating the action...Request Clearance, Taxi, Departure.  Most of the rest is handled by the copilot.

7) No. Unfortunately, the spelled out numbers are needed for proper operation of the speech.  This might change in the future, but not right away.  For now, the Assigned Frequency is displayed below the Com area in the main screen, so you can look there for setting the frequency...or just let the copilot do it.

8) Yes, P2A is under constant development, so hopefully it will continue to get better. 

Thanks for your comments.

Dave

hi dave and thanks for your replies,

1. yes, i didnt do anything, not even touched the flight plan. just put lgsa 1st wpt, lgir 2nd, pressed validate and file (all these under vfr flight, 5000ft alt, 100kn gs). turned greened and then white. but atc kept working giving me commands , directions. so maybe it is a "color bug". i mean even if they turned back white, it was like being in green mode.

3. yes this is what i was doing. and ... copilot? i didnt even know it exists 🙂 i just looked in the manual now you mentioned it, i found it and i will start reading how to use it 🙂 from what you said , i got the main point of what the copilot does and yes it helps indeed the begginers like me 🙂

4. ok in my next flight i will check it

6. i totally get it, thanks

and thanks for everything !!!

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Dave-Pilot2ATC said:

No. Unfortunately, the spelled out numbers are needed for proper operation of the speech.  This might change in the future, but not right away.  For now, the Assigned Frequency is displayed below the Com area in the main screen, so you can look there for setting the frequency.

I would vote for the conversion of the text form to numbers for the Conversation Text window, only.  Or even just copy it in from the known original. It isn't necessary for the user response of course, though even for that you must be doing the conversion back internally, not for frequencies but for Gate and Runway numbers.

In fact I might look at doing that automatically in my display plug-in (as mentioned in another thread). Can't be that hard 😉. "One" -> "1", "Two" -> "2" and so on.

Are there many occasions which you use worded versions of 10-99? That might make it a bit more complicated. As for >= 100, I'd hope not!? There's "thousand" -> ",000" of course. "hundred"?

Pete

Edited by Pete Dowson
  • Like 2