Sign in to follow this  
Jonahbird

Windows10 & P3D on dedicated PC

Has anyone yet allowed Microsoft to update Windows 10 to its latest version 1803 on their Flight simulator PC?

I am frequently delaying attempts to update when I am loading P3D for a flight.  If I could stop it from doing this I would be well pleased.

On my personal PC, I did allow the update to this version - it took nearly 2 hours - and there are a number of changes which may or may not interfere with the smooth running of P3D4.  But for the present I am not willing to risk it.

I would welcome comments from those of you brave enough to take this step.

Regards

Frank Jones

I have the latest 1803 on my Flightsim machine as well as the networked laptop (for FS-FlightControl, SPAD.neXt, and PSXSeecontraffic) and it does not interfere with Prepar3d4.2 in any way on my machine, at least nothing I noticed. One can argue, though, if it's worth downloading GBs of new OS files twice a year for virtually no improvement, at least none I can see, and having to reset a few default settings (like switching off the LAN password query) every time.

I also installed the lastest Nvidia driver (a couple of days later, of course) which also works fine (delete the shaders in this case).

Kind regards, Michael

MSFS, Beta tester of Simdocks, SPAD.neXt, and FS-FlightControl

Intel i7-13700K / AsRock Z790 / Crucial 32 GB DDR 5 / ASUS RTX 4080OC 16GB / BeQuiet ATX 1000W / WD m.2 NVMe 2TB (System) / WD m.2 NVMe 4 TB (MSFS) / WD HDD 10 TB / XTOP+Saitek hardware panel /  LG 34UM95 3440 x 1440  / HP Reverb 1 (2160x2160 per eye) / Win 11

Thanks Michael.  That is very reassuring advice.

Regards

Frank Jones

Mine auto updated and although it may not have been causative, it did correlate with some flickering of the P3D Window. I then updated my video driver which did not help then I also enabled triple buffering and vsync and limited my frame rate to 60Hz and I’m now back in business. 

On 5/29/2018 at 5:20 AM, pmb said:

I also installed the lastest Nvidia driver (a couple of days later, of course) which also works fine (delete the shaders in this case).

Kind regards, Michael

Hi Michael,,

What version of Nvidia drivers did you upgrade to, as part of your Windows 10 upgrade?

thx,

Mike

22 minutes ago, orbmis said:

Hi Michael,,

What version of Nvidia drivers did you upgrade to, as part of your Windows 10 upgrade?

thx,

Mike

However, I did wait a couple of days after the Windows Update to make sure all (and notably Prepar3d and its friends) is running well before installing the new video driver.

Kind regards, Michael

Intel i7-13700K / AsRock Z790 / Crucial 32 GB DDR 5 / ASUS RTX 4080OC 16GB / BeQuiet ATX 1000W / WD m.2 NVMe 2TB (System) / WD m.2 NVMe 4 TB (MSFS) / WD HDD 10 TB / XTOP+Saitek hardware panel /  LG 34UM95 3440 x 1440  / HP Reverb 1 (2160x2160 per eye) / Win 11

Michael

I too have updated  Nvidia drivers to the latest 390.65 on my 3.4 version, all seems well, but would you

explain the benefits of deleting the shaders?

Regards

Mike

1 hour ago, MAHLER said:

Michael

I too have updated  Nvidia drivers to the latest 390.65 on my 3.4 version, all seems well, but would you

explain the benefits of deleting the shaders?

Shaders (not the ones in the sim directory

\Program Files\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v4\ShadersHLSL

but the ones under

\Users\[profile]\AppData\Local\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v4\Shaders) 

may depend on the graphics driver/settings, thus it's suggested to rebuild them after installing a new driver. You *may* be able to do without it, but I got used to it and it's also suggested by Rob Ainscough in his AVSIM Prepar3d guide.

Kind regards, Michael

Nvidia driver 397.93 came out a couple days ago.  Seems to work real nice.

I to am running the latest windows 10 build and Nvidia drivers ok, the last big windows update spring in the UK run you through your security setting were you had the option to turn off data shearing, a GDRP thing in the EU as I see everybody's having to address.

Raymond Fry.

PMDG_Banner_747_Enthusiast.jpg