Bert Pieke

Searching for a Cessna 800B autopilot Manual

Posted (edited)

.. or a 400B for that matter :cool:

The Alabeo C421 has just come out, sporting a rather unorthodox implementation of the Cessna 800B autopilot.

Can anyone help me with two questions regarding the real world mode controller?

1.  Can FD mode be engaged by pressing the FD key, or only by selecting a lateral mode like HDG or NAV?

2.  Can the middle lower key be pressed to engage APR mode, or is it a display readout only?

Any help would be much appreciated :wink:

Edited by Bert Pieke

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Bert, 

Fortunately, I have the 1979 Cessna C421C Info Manual. Within the Supplemental section, are detailed description of a variety of systems including the 400B and 800B IFCS (Integrated Flight Control System).

Re the 800B: 

1.) FLIGHT DIRECTOR MODE

SELLECTOR BUTTON - Engages or disengages the flight director mode. The FD annunciator will light and command bars on the FDI will appear.

2.) VOR/LOCALIZER MODE

When the AP or FD mode are engaged, either the VOR or LOC annunciator will light to reflect the frequency selected on the navigation receiver. The VOR/LOC light will only illuminate while in the FD or AP navigation mode. 

Bingo!

The FD selector button is operational (as I suspected)

and the VOR/LOC button is a readout only, which is unusual, but that makes this autopilot unique.. :cool:

Thanks a bunch, I am contacting Carenado/Alabeo with the code changes for the FD button, and I hope they will include it in a patch..

Thanks again, Les!