Sign in to follow this  
captain420

Ground textures gets more blurry the further I fly

4 hours ago, Rob Ainscough said:

Triple Buffering will NOT make a difference to "the blurries", experiment with it and see if you notice any benefits ... Triple Buffering is usually done to smooth out frames (generate less long frames) but this ONLY works well if your "potential" FPS are above your FPS cap or Vsync cap. 

How do you find out your "potential" FPS (this is just a test to determine what your system can do at any given location and add-on set) ... turn Vsync OFF, triple buffer unchecked, set Unlimited.  Now fly around and monitor your log your FPS noting the LOWEST FPS and your AVG FPS value (shift+z).  For the sake of verbosity lets call this pFPS (Potential FPS).

After you complete your test loop, you can decide which value to use as your pFPS, either the Lowest FPS or AVG FPS.  For least amount of long frames/smoothness use the Lowest FPS you noted as your pFPS, but if your system is struggling with FPS during your test (wild fluctuations), use AVG FPS as your pFPS).  The pFPS is what your system can do at whatever graphics settings, add-ons, and location you used for the test loop.  If the pFPS is below your monitor Refresh rate, then set the framerate limit to your pFPS value.  If your pFPS is above your monitor's refresh rate by about 3 FPS, then use Unlimited, Vsync ON, Triple buffer ON.  If it's at or above your Refresh rate but not 3 FPS above, then do NOT use Triple Buffer.

Examples:

pFPS = 40
Monitor Refresh = 60Hz
Framerate = 30
Triple Buffer = Checked if you go with Vsync ON
Vsync = On or Off (shouldn't matter since you are below 60Hz)

pFPS = 31
Monitor Refresh = 60Hz
Framerate = 30
Triple Buffer = UnChecked 

pFPS = 27
Monitor Refresh = 60Hz
Framerate = 27

pFPS = 40
Monitor Refresh = 30Hz
Framerate = Unlimited
Triple Buffer = Checked
Vsync = On

pFPS = 31
Monitor Refresh = 30Hz
Framerate = Unlimited
Vsync = On

pFPS = 27
Monitor Refresh = 30Hz
Framerate = 27
Vsync = On (it's likely you'll exceed 30 FPS during flight once you are above our out of the dense location)

Cheers, Rob.

I just want to chime in that this little nugget of info is golden. A few weeks ago I struggled after buying a gorgeous Ultrawide 4K display with GSYNC. How could my FPS have completely tanked!? Well lots of reading and learning about refresh rates and transitions between V and Gsync and I was back in business. 

I did a little testing and here's what my resource monitor shows. 1st one is how it looks while sitting on the runway, and the 2nd one was during my flight when the blurriness started to happen. This is from a flight from KIAH-KMEM. This is with Rob's suggested settings. I changed my FPS limit to 30fps from unlimited with VSYNC off and Triple Buffering Off. It made no difference at all

image.jpg

p3d1.jpg

And here are pics of how the ground texture progressively started getting blurrier the further I went.

2018-6-29_16-56-57-515.jpg

2018-6-29_17-18-49-114.jpg

2018-6-29_17-18-57-437.jpg

2018-6-29_18-21-49-897.jpg

2018-7-2_16-53-18-270.jpg

2018-7-2_16-53-32-196.jpg

2018-7-2_16-53-33-737.jpg

2018-7-2_16-54-50-641.jpg

2018-7-2_16-55-58-280.jpg

2018-7-2_16-56-1-521.jpg

2018-7-2_16-56-10-823.jpg

Edited by captain420

ASUS ROG Maximus Hero XII ▪︎ Intel i9-10900K ▪︎ NVIDIA RTX 3090 FE ▪︎ 64GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro ▪︎ Windows 10 Pro (21H1) ▪︎ Samsung 970 EVO Pro 1TB NVME SSD (OS Drive) ▪︎ Samsung 860 EVO 2TB SATA SSD ▪︎ Seagate 4TB SATA HDD ▪︎ Corsair RMx 850W PSU

Well Aaron,

There's your problem...CPU is completely saturated. When I'm flying a PMDG aircraft at FL330 as in your pics, my CPU usage looks like your first image, with the exception I use an affinity mask that leaves my core 1 doing nothing (core numbering 0-7). As a matter of fact, I don't think I've ever seen my cores 2-7 pegged like in your 2nd pic.

Now, as to the cause...I wouldn't have a clue. I don't have any experience with a 3770k, but if Passmark benchmarks are any indication, I would call it comparable to my 6700k.

Do you have a bunch of photo-real active in your scenery database?

Kind Regards,

Steven_Miller.png?dl=1

i7-6700k Gigabyte GA-Z170X-UD5 32GB DDR4 2666 EVGA FTW ULTRA RTX3080 12GB

5 minutes ago, somiller said:

Well Aaron,

There's your problem...CPU is completely saturated. When I'm flying a PMDG aircraft at FL330 as in your pics, my CPU usage looks like your first image, with the exception I use an affinity mask that leaves my core 1 doing nothing (core numbering 0-7). As a matter of fact, I don't think I've ever seen my cores 2-7 pegged like in your 2nd pic.

Now, as to the cause...I wouldn't have a clue. I don't have any experience with a 3770k, but if Passmark benchmarks are any indication, I would call it comparable to my 6700k.

Do you have a bunch of photo-real active in your scenery database?

Kind Regards,

I have Hawaii Photoreal scenery active in my scenery. But why would my CPU be pegged that high when my settings are'nt high? That, I don't understand. I posted my P3D settings in this thread if you want to look at them.

So do I need to set an AFFINITY MASK in my Prepar3D.cfg or FSUIPC to further optimize CPU usage?

ASUS ROG Maximus Hero XII ▪︎ Intel i9-10900K ▪︎ NVIDIA RTX 3090 FE ▪︎ 64GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro ▪︎ Windows 10 Pro (21H1) ▪︎ Samsung 970 EVO Pro 1TB NVME SSD (OS Drive) ▪︎ Samsung 860 EVO 2TB SATA SSD ▪︎ Seagate 4TB SATA HDD ▪︎ Corsair RMx 850W PSU

OMGEDSON,

What CPU are you running? It's interesting that your core 0 usage is not higher. When I'm running P3D, my core 0 is almost always 100%, even sitting at the gate in the F22.

Kind Regards,

Steven_Miller.png?dl=1

2 minutes ago, somiller said:

OMGEDSON,

What CPU are you running? It's interesting that your core 0 usage is not higher. When I'm running P3D, my core 0 is almost always 100%, even sitting at the gate in the F22.

Kind Regards,

i7 7700K at 5.3ghz + HT, 5.4 on days when i'm feeling crazy and flying something heavy out of the san francisco bay area!

Edited by OMGEDSON

Using time compression in the PMDG plane is useless if I'm going to be getting blurries like this. Sigh.

33 minutes ago, captain420 said:

I have Hawaii Photoreal scenery active in my scenery. But why would my CPU be pegged that high when my settings are'nt high? That, I don't understand. I posted my P3D settings in this thread if you want to look at them.

So do I need to set an AFFINITY MASK in my Prepar3D.cfg or FSUIPC to further optimize CPU usage?

Aaron,

With CPU usage shown in the image while you're flying getting blurries, affinity mask would do nothing, even if you unloaded core1, because there's nowhere to go for the tasks handled by core1 - all cores are saturated.

Have you tried disabling your Hawaii photo-real to see if that makes a difference?

Steven_Miller.png?dl=1

37 minutes ago, OMGEDSON said:

i7 7700K at 5.3ghz + HT, 5.4 on days when i'm feeling crazy and flying something heavy out of the san francisco bay area!

That's your funking problem!!!  Try 4.7 with ht off and no aM and tell us how that works!

C'mon man!

<vbg>

56 minutes ago, captain420 said:

Dude .......your hardware is junk.

2 minutes ago, FunknNasty said:

Dude .......your hardware is junk.

Useless comment.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, somiller said:

Aaron,

With CPU usage shown in the image while you're flying getting blurries, affinity mask would do nothing, even if you unloaded core1, because there's nowhere to go for the tasks handled by core1 - all cores are saturated.

Have you tried disabling your Hawaii photo-real to see if that makes a difference?

I will try that later and see if it makes a different.

So this is not a result of the CPU being maxed out. It also happens to OMGEDSON as well.