Sign in to follow this  
kjjj11223344

Ortho4XP for FSX/P3D

1 hour ago, lambourne said:

Aha. I'm running from your exe and compiling my own binaries is beyond my skills. Is there anything I can do, bearing that in mind, to fix this?

I have assumed that my general lack of success with Ortho4XP (Ortho4P3D, should we call this??) was because of the create geotiff problem. Despite running the exe and following the instructional video you posted back towards the beginning of the thread, I'm not getting any bgl or scenery/texture folders in the output, just files I assume are for Xplane.

I'm happy to help write a basic noob's guide or step-by-step for getting this version up and running if I get that far!

If you want to build geotiffs, the provided exe won’t work. You need to install python 3, as well as the gdal library I linked to in my previous reply (and possibly all the other libraries needed for Ortho4XP to work). Then, open a command prompt, and type python PATH_TO_ORTHO4XP\Ortho4XP_V130.py.

If what you want to do is build tiles for xplane, the exe will work with no additional setup required.

if what you want is to build tiles for fsx/p3d, you need to provide the location of resample.exe in Ortho4XP.cfg. If you want autogen, you need to download scenproc and provide its path in Ortho4XP.cfg. Instructions are in the readme on the GitHub page.

We can provide more help here or via pm to get you up and running, since I’m guessing what you want is to simply build tiles for fsx/p3d? Making geotiffs currently requires running the program WITHOUT the exe I have provided, which requires installing python and a bunch of other stuff, so it’s more difficult. And geotiffs won’t show up in fsx/p3d.

edit:

I am thinking of making a new tutorial video as the one I originally made lacks clarity. Or if anyone wants to make a new one and upload it/or send it to me to upload, that would be great :).

Edited by kjjj11223344

Boeing777_Banner_Pilot.jpgsig_TheBusIveBeenWaitingFor.jpg

Alfredo Terrero

On 7/21/2019 at 10:14 PM, kjjj11223344 said:

We can provide more help here or via pm to get you up and running, since I’m guessing what you want is to simply build tiles for fsx/p3d? Making geotiffs currently requires running the program WITHOUT the exe I have provided, which requires installing python and a bunch of other stuff, so it’s more difficult. And geotiffs won’t show up in fsx/p3d.

Groan... you're right, all I want to do is build tiles for P3D. I've inserted the path to the P3D SDK resample.exe into ortho4xp.cfg but I guess this whole thing probably isn't for the likes of ordinary users like me.

i7-10700K; RTX 2070 Super; 16GB; P3Dv4.5HF3 & MSFS2020.

Goodday captains,

I just made 1 test tile of Ortho4P3D around EKCH.
When it was done I did go and take a look in the Orthophotos map. But to find an empty ADDON SCENERY folder with an empty TEXTURE folder in it. No SCENERY folder, no bgl files or anything. I did follow the tutorial video as shown.

greetings Erik

Well the autogen generation manually works for me with the script from Arno. However the autogen is so few and so many areas in rural and/or urban areas that its not bearable. So it doesnt matter much if autogen creation works automated or not, its not usable. First we need a script which creates more autogen and not always the same small houses. It looks even better without autogen at all to be honest.

So what I do right now, is the same I did before. I simply only activate these tiles over areas I will never land and just overpass them on high altitude. As soon I land in an area i disable that tile and land with the "default" P3D landclass or region. Since I have most of the stuff from ORBX its not to bad to land there.

Edited by Nytro
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

9 hours ago, ErikGRSBK said:

Goodday captains,

I just made 1 test tile of Ortho4P3D around EKCH.
When it was done I did go and take a look in the Orthophotos map. But to find an empty ADDON SCENERY folder with an empty TEXTURE folder in it. No SCENERY folder, no bgl files or anything. I did follow the tutorial video as shown.

greetings Erik

Found out that resampe.exe path was not set correctly. But now a new problem has come. Ortho isnt opening resample.exe as it tells it is. So no BGLs are created. Also, when I try to drag the inf files into resample.exe, nothing happends to the ADDON SCENERY\Scenery folder. It just isnt there, and an empty texture folder.

SOLVED

Copied resample.exe to the Ortho4P3D master folder, set the path in the cfg. And it's now working. It is compiling the BGLs.

Edited by ErikGRSBK
Solved

Hi, 

I'm trying to compile myself but it looks like .pyd have python3.6 dependency. 

29296 WARNING: lib not found: python36.dll dependency of C:\Users\vince\Documents\git\Ortho4XP_FSX_P3D\fast_image_mask.pyd
29359 WARNING: lib not found: CORE_RL_Magick++_.dll dependency of C:\Users\vince\Documents\git\Ortho4XP_FSX_P3D\fast_image_mask.pyd

I have been trying to add a check to see if scenproc files have already been cached. I keep having to restart because one the that OSM request will fail. At least, If I restart and it doest try to re-download them. I don't want to check-in this code if I can't test it.

-            print("Attempting to download OSM data from " + str(min_lat) + ", " + str(min_lon) + " to " + str(max_lat) + ", " + str(max_lon))
-            response = OSM.get_overpass_data("", (min_lon, min_lat, max_lon, max_lat), "MAP")
             file_name = os.path.join(scenproc_osm_dir, "scenproc_osm_data" + str(i) + "_" + str (j) + ".osm")
-            with open(file_name, "wb") as f:
-                f.write(response)
-
-            print("Download successful")
+            if os.path.exists(filename):
+                print("OSM present in cache for " + str(min_lat) + ", " + str(min_lon) + " to " + str(max_lat) + ", " + str(max_lon))
+            elif
+                print("Attempting to download OSM data from " + str(min_lat) + ", " + str(min_lon) + " to " + str(max_lat) + ", " + str(max_lon))
+                response = OSM.get_overpass_data("", (min_lon, min_lat, max_lon, max_lat), "MAP")
+                with open(file_name, "wb") as f:
+                    f.write(response)
+                print("Download successful")

Vincent Rouleau

AMD Ryzen 7950X3d / 32.0GB G.SKILL Neo DDR5 6000 / Gigabyte  GeForce® RTX 4080 16Gig / / Samsung C49RG9 49' /ASUS  PB287QQ ‑ 27" UHD / AGAMMIX 2TB / Samsung 970 PRO 1TB /  PNY SSD 1TB / Windows 11 / Gigabyte B650M Elite Motherboard

Hi,

I don't have any success in creating autogen. Bgl files are presents but the texture directory is empty.

This is the message i got when trying to extract overlays :

Step 4 : Extracting overlay for tile +43+005 :
--------
   ERROR: file  Earth nav data\+40+000\+43+005.dsf absent. Recall that the overlay source directory needs to be set in the config window first.

The preliminary job for scenproc works, I have the "scenproc_osm_data" directory.

Of course the dsf file is present.

Can you help me ? Thank's!

JMC

On 7/30/2019 at 5:01 PM, gastonj said:

Hi,

I don't have any success in creating autogen. Bgl files are presents but the texture directory is empty.

--------
   ERROR: file  Earth nav data\+40+000\+43+005.dsf absent. Recall that the overlay source directory needs to be set in the config window first.

The preliminary job for scenproc works, I have the "scenproc_osm_data" directory. 

JMC

Hi,

I am having the same issue. I would really like some autogen on photo scenery. Does anyone have a fix yet.

Marko

Edited by M4rk0

On 8/4/2019 at 1:28 PM, M4rk0 said:

Hi,

I am having the same issue. I would really like some autogen on photo scenery. Does anyone have a fix yet.

Marko

Well you can do create autogen manually but I can tell you its a total waste of time. There is no sufficient script out there which creates even reasonable autogen. After creation there are areas where you have 0 autogen, next to an area with 100 % autogen. Next problem are the houses, normally it creates the same house over and over again, the houses are to small and not in line of roads it looks just awful.

I think there is no way to automate this process, instead it requires manual placement from autogen by hand. I mean look at what ORBX does. Most of there autogen is hand placed or hand edited not even them (as multi million dollar company) have a automated process. So its a total waste of time in my opinion to do that with ortho4xp and Scenproc even on a small scale. You better of to just disable ortho4xp tiles on areas where you want to land and stick to good old default fsx scenery (or have an ORBX scenery in that area). Over areas where you just fly over on high altitudes you dont need autogen on the ground anyway.

Orbx True Earth autogen/overlay is certainly not hand placed - at least not in 99.9% of cases. AFAIK it is placed according to available GIS datasets using an advanced, proprietary version of World2XPlane.

The following topic explains why the (extracted) default autogen is not a good match for orthophoto meshes:

https://forums.x-plane.org/index.php?/forums/topic/124771-know-how-where-forests-do-come-from-in-x-plane/

PS: I realize the above applies only to X-Plane while this topic is about FSX/P3D - apologies for that. However, I suppose it might still be useful to know, so I'm leaving it in.

Edited by Daikan

Hello,

I asked a question, but I had the answer in front of me ! Still it was necessary to understand the commentary.

Regards,

Marc

Edited by Marcstrasb
Bad question

On 7/23/2019 at 2:48 PM, lambourne said:

Groan... you're right, all I want to do is build tiles for P3D. I've inserted the path to the P3D SDK resample.exe into ortho4xp.cfg but I guess this whole thing probably isn't for the likes of ordinary users like me.

Can you tell me where your resample.exe is located? I can send you the Ortho4XP.cfg you will need which will make it work.

Alfredo Terrero

On 7/30/2019 at 8:17 AM, vincentrouleau said:

Hi, 

I'm trying to compile myself but it looks like .pyd have python3.6 dependency. 

29296 WARNING: lib not found: python36.dll dependency of C:\Users\vince\Documents\git\Ortho4XP_FSX_P3D\fast_image_mask.pyd
29359 WARNING: lib not found: CORE_RL_Magick++_.dll dependency of C:\Users\vince\Documents\git\Ortho4XP_FSX_P3D\fast_image_mask.pyd

I have been trying to add a check to see if scenproc files have already been cached. I keep having to restart because one the that OSM request will fail. At least, If I restart and it doest try to re-download them. I don't want to check-in this code if I can't test it.

-            print("Attempting to download OSM data from " + str(min_lat) + ", " + str(min_lon) + " to " + str(max_lat) + ", " + str(max_lon))
-            response = OSM.get_overpass_data("", (min_lon, min_lat, max_lon, max_lat), "MAP")
             file_name = os.path.join(scenproc_osm_dir, "scenproc_osm_data" + str(i) + "_" + str (j) + ".osm")
-            with open(file_name, "wb") as f:
-                f.write(response)
-
-            print("Download successful")
+            if os.path.exists(filename):
+                print("OSM present in cache for " + str(min_lat) + ", " + str(min_lon) + " to " + str(max_lat) + ", " + str(max_lon))
+            elif
+                print("Attempting to download OSM data from " + str(min_lat) + ", " + str(min_lon) + " to " + str(max_lat) + ", " + str(max_lon))
+                response = OSM.get_overpass_data("", (min_lon, min_lat, max_lon, max_lat), "MAP")
+                with open(file_name, "wb") as f:
+                    f.write(response)
+                print("Download successful")

There's instructions in the readme for how to compile the pyd files. Just set building of all the seasons except summre to False in Ortho4XP.cfg. The pyd libraries won't be needed, and the program should run fine. The caching would be a great addition btw. If you cold implement that, test it, and create a PR, I will happily merge the changes :).

Edited by kjjj11223344

Alfredo Terrero

On 7/30/2019 at 11:01 AM, gastonj said:

Hi,

--------

JMC

Unfortunately, the way that the pipeline is set up right now, you need to select all the check boxes as shown in the tutorial video for creation of autogen to work. I will try to make this more modular in the future so that you can create autogen without having to run all the steps.

Alfredo Terrero

On 8/8/2019 at 7:57 PM, Nytro said:

Well you can do create autogen manually but I can tell you its a total waste of time. There is no sufficient script out there which creates even reasonable autogen. After creation there are areas where you have 0 autogen, next to an area with 100 % autogen. Next problem are the houses, normally it creates the same house over and over again, the houses are to small and not in line of roads it looks just awful.

I think there is no way to automate this process, instead it requires manual placement from autogen by hand. I mean look at what ORBX does. Most of there autogen is hand placed or hand edited not even them (as multi million dollar company) have a automated process. So its a total waste of time in my opinion to do that with ortho4xp and Scenproc even on a small scale. You better of to just disable ortho4xp tiles on areas where you want to land and stick to good old default fsx scenery (or have an ORBX scenery in that area). Over areas where you just fly over on high altitudes you dont need autogen on the ground anyway.

You can definitely get decent results with scenproc. The problem is that the script I have provided is very basic, as I am not very well-versed in scenproc. I was hoping someone from the community could experiment and provide better scripts.

Alfredo Terrero