Sign in to follow this  
nhagag

Some Guidance Please

I just received my new PC from PortaTech.

I chose MOB ASRock Z370 and i7 8700K for CPU

Both Windows 10 system and Bios indicates that CPU is at 3.7GHz. On Purchase it said 4.7GHz

That probably means I have to overclock

I do not feel comfortable doing that from what I read.

Any guidance from the experts will be so helpful. Any references, links?

Much appreciated

Bill Hagag

1 hour ago, nhagag said:

Both Windows 10 system and Bios indicates that CPU is at 3.7GHz. On Purchase it said 4.7GHz

Marketing mumbo-jumbo, Bill.  The 8700K will boost one (of the six) cores up to 4.7GHz using Intel's Turbo Boost Technology.  It's right in the very small print of their sales info 🙄.

The 8700K overclocks very well, but any overclocking should use top quality CPU cooling.  Plenty of guides on the 'net to assist you in getting a nice overclock.  I do not use Intel's Turbo Boost Technology (generally, it uses too much power).

HTH,

Greg

Hi,

The 3.7 Ghz you are seeing is the normal clock speed for this CPU and that is the clock speed you will see while running idle.  The 4.7 Ghz is the turbo boost clock speed of this CPU, and you will see it when your CPU will be under load or full load. Sart a demanding application and you will see it up to this speed. No overclock is necessary, the turbo boost will start by itself..

Mike