Sign in to follow this  
RodgerC

Screenshot problem

After getting setup in FSX:SE I am unable to take a screenshot as normal using the "v" key.  I get an error message that states, "Unable to open screenshot file."  I can take a screenshot in Steam but it will not load it into the FSX photo file as I have directed.  I just want to take a screen shot that I can download to my computer.  Can someone tell me what I'm doing wrong.  Thanks. Rodger

I see you had the same problem back in Nov. of 2017.  Did you ever get it fixed?  Worst case scenario, if it's only one shot you want to take, you can press the "Print Screen" key and then go to your MS Paint program and press the Ctrl+V key to see the shot....then save as normal.

Charlie Aron

Awaiting the new Microsoft Flight Sim and the purchase of a new system.  Running a Chromebook for now! :cool:

22 minutes ago, charliearon said:

I see you had the same problem back in Nov. of 2017.  Did you ever get it fixed?  Worst case scenario, if it's only one shot you want to take, you can press the "Print Screen" key and then go to your MS Paint program and press the Ctrl+V key to see the shot....then save as normal.

Still the same problem.  Guess your solution will have to do.  Thanks.

I’ve got FSX:SE too but I do successfully capture screenshots with ‘V’. I’m not at PC right now but I think you have to tell the Steam properties for FSX:SE where to put the screenshots. Did you configure that from the library properties before launching FSX?

If you don’t get it then reply and when I’m next at my PC I’ll check my setup for you. It definitely works on my rig.

Best regards

Rupert

25 minutes ago, CB_Pilot said:

I’ve got FSX:SE too but I do successfully capture screenshots with ‘V’. I’m not at PC right now but I think you have to tell the Steam properties for FSX:SE where to put the screenshots. Did you configure that from the library properties before launching FSX?

If you don’t get it then reply and when I’m next at my PC I’ll check my setup for you. It definitely works on my rig.

Not sure about the library properties.  I configured it from the "settings" menu in Steam as to where to send the photo  C:\Users\Username\Documents\FSX Photos.  I thought that when I take a photo from steam that it would be sent to that folder.  Obviously not.  Seems as though it stays in Steam.  Just don't understand why I can't use the "v" key.

Ok, I just figured out where they are filed, but they are virtually worthless.  10kb or less. 

D:\ProgramFiles(x86)\steam\userdata\474538836\760\remote\314160\screenshots\thumbnails.

I clicked on the "view" tab after opening Steam, then clicked on "screenshots" then clicked on "show on disk" tab.

Edited by C130FE

Just read in an old thread about a guy who had the same exact issue except he was using the boxed Acceleration edition.  Got the same message, "Unable to open screenshot file."  Some said it was a memory issue, others said it was a SP1 or SP2 problem.  I don't believe I have a memory issue, but I guess it is possible.

OK - I'm at my PC now. From the top menu in Steam choose Settings: In-Game : Screenshot Folder and tell Steam where to store your shots. It can be any folder you want on any drive you want.

Steam wants to use F12 as a default so now launch FSX:SE and go in to your FSX settings page. ON Controls : Buttons/Keys make sure that "Capture Screenshot" is assigned to "V". That means that F12 will store shots in Steam's screen shot area for all your games/sims but 'V' will store them locally when in FSX.

That should let you take shots with 'V' and store them where you want to.
Hope that helps.

Best regards

Rupert

1 hour ago, CB_Pilot said:

OK - I'm at my PC now. From the top menu in Steam choose Settings: In-Game : Screenshot Folder and tell Steam where to store your shots. It can be any folder you want on any drive you want.

Steam wants to use F12 as a default so now launch FSX:SE and go in to your FSX settings page. ON Controls : Buttons/Keys make sure that "Capture Screenshot" is assigned to "V". That means that F12 will store shots in Steam's screen shot area for all your games/sims but 'V' will store them locally when in FSX.

Hope that helps.

Great I'll give that a try.  Thanks for the help.  I'll let you know how it goes.  Appreciate your help.

19 hours ago, CB_Pilot said:

Hope that helps.

I set everything up just as you said, but still I'm getting the "Unable to open screenshot file" message.  Works fine in FSX:SE but still not working on my computer.  I've been at this for several months and just cannot figure this out.  Guess it just isn't going to work.  Thanks for your help.

CB_Pilot, I just looked at my screen resolution and then went to FSX:SE display settings.  My windows screen resolution is set at 2560x1080 but 2560x1080 doesn't appear in FSX:SE display settings.  I read that if those don't match a screen shot may not be possible.  My queston is how do I get that resolution to show in FSX:SE display settings? 

Your posts are getting confusing!  In your first post you said " After getting setup in FSX:SE I am unable to take a screenshot as normal using the "v" key."

Now in your last post you say " Works fine in FSX:SE but still not working on my computer."

Which is it?

AND I was going to ask about screen resolution.  What does your FSX.cfg say about your Graphics Card?

This is an example of what mine says:

[DISPLAY.Device.NVIDIA GeForce 6100.0]
Mode=1360x768x32
TriLinear=1

Charlie Aron

Awaiting the new Microsoft Flight Sim and the purchase of a new system.  Running a Chromebook for now! :cool:

37 minutes ago, charliearon said:

Your posts are getting confusing!  In your first post you said " After getting setup in FSX:SE I am unable to take a screenshot as normal using the "v" key."

Now in your last post you say " Works fine in FSX:SE but still not working on my computer."

Which is it?

AND I was going to ask about screen resolution.  What does your FSX.cfg say about your Graphics Card?

This is an example of what mine says:

[DISPLAY.Device.NVIDIA GeForce 6100.0]
Mode=1360x768x32
TriLinear=1

Your right.  Been working on this for so long everything is confusing.  I'm not a person that understands computers very well and can't articulate what I mean to say when it comes to computers.  I'm to the point now where I'll just forget about screenshots.  I enjoyed taking screenshots and posting them to the Orbx screenshot forum.  I haven't been able to do that sense converting to FSX:SE about 6-8 months ago.  So I'm to the point now that it is pointless to go on trying to fix the problem.  I'm just going to drop the issue now and forget about it and enjoy flying.  Thanks for the help everyone.  Time to move on and get back to flying.

OK Rodger. I guess you've had enough but, hey, in case you ever try again, similarly to Charlie Aron, my fsx.cfg file records display settings as below. The extra "0" in GTX 980 Ti.0.0 is because I have a twin SLi setup - you can probably ignore the extra "0". Go enjoy your flying now! 😉

[DISPLAY.Device.NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980 Ti.0.0]
AntiAlias=1
Mode=1600x900x32
TriLinear=0
Anisotropic=1

Best regards

Rupert

14 hours ago, CB_Pilot said:

OK Rodger. I guess you've had enough but, hey, in case you ever try again, similarly to Charlie Aron, my fsx.cfg file records display settings as below. The extra "0" in GTX 980 Ti.0.0 is because I have a twin SLi setup - you can probably ignore the extra "0". Go enjoy your flying now! 😉

[DISPLAY.Device.NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980 Ti.0.0]
AntiAlias=1
Mode=1600x900x32
TriLinear=0
Anisotropic=1

Thanks for all your help.  Much appreciated.  Back to enjoying flying again.