Sign in to follow this  
zfehr

Help with the latest FS9 update

Hello all,Here is what I read on ms update site.The Flight Simulator 2004: A Century of Flight (update) increases the level of digital elevation mesh (DEM) support from 38 meters to 19 meters. Some third-party scenery providers update generic.bgl as part of their package. In certain cases, this updated generic.bgl file will cause the Update to terminate before completing installation. A message will be displayed: "The original file (generic.bgl) is either missing or has been changed from its original state. The update cannot continue and will now exit". You need to re-install the default generic.bgl file that came with the original Flight Simulator 2004 setup files before attempting the update installation. I have USA roads installed and have changed many airports with AFCAD. Has anyone experienced problems with any addons after this update and is it worth it. Does the change from 38 meters to 19 meters really show much improvement. Bottom line, if it any broke don't fix it. What do you think?KSPIThanks all

Guest UlfB

What do I think? Exactly as you say: If it ain't broke don't fix it! ;-)Ulf B

The Microsoft patch for FS9 updating it to 9.1 has been out since October of 2004. I installed it shortly after its release because I was having problems with the seasonal CTD flying around Kalispel, MT. I did have to restore some of the default dll files before running the patch to get it to update properly. It won't run if you have some files altered but that wasn't a big deal and I have been very happy with the results, especially all the additional bridges. At this point in time there are several add-ons that are designed for use after the patch is installed and won't look right if you install them over version 9.0, this is especially true if installing Ultimate Terrain and then adding QLRP4UT (which I highly recommmend). Backup any files you have questions about so you can make sure you don't lose them with the patch.

Dr Zane Gard

Posted Image

Sr Staff Reviewer AVSIM

Private Pilot ASEL since 1986 IFR 2010

AOPA 00915027

American Mensa 100314888

Hello Zane, just thought of something while reading your reply to this thread. What is QLRP4UT?? I don't recall installing that. Thanks!

QLRP4UT stands for the Quantum Leap Repositioning Project for (4) Ultimate Terrain. It puts thousands of landmarks into their correct positions so you can keep those bridges and other stuff in UT without them looking out of place. You can find it here: http://www.qlrp4ut.com/

Dr Zane Gard

Posted Image

Sr Staff Reviewer AVSIM

Private Pilot ASEL since 1986 IFR 2010

AOPA 00915027

American Mensa 100314888