Sign in to follow this  
bbain1187

Finally Ran Out Of Room On My SSD

Hey Everyone,

I've been happily simming on P3D for the last 3 years (the last of which on v4) but I have finally come to the point where I've run out of room on my Samsung 950 Pro SSD 512GB. To this point I have used it for Windows and all P3D content and scenery. I plan on ordering the 2080TI as soon as it comes out (trying to resist the urge to get the new 9900k as well, my 6700k @4.6ghz has been doing just fine), so logically it might be a good time to get a new SSD with it. I've been eyeing the Samsung 960 1TB SSDs (or 860 and save a few bucks). But do I really need one? I still have 1.16TB free on my Seagate 2TB SSHD I use for other storage. The other issue is that I only have one m.2 slot on my MB so if I were to get another m.2 drive I would need to get an adapter to plug it into the PCI-E slots and I'm not sure if there is a drive performance loss associated with that. So, if I were to limp by for the next 8-10 months by moving some scenery over to the Seagate drive, how much of a performance loss/stutters/additional loading times am I looking at? I was figuring when P3D v5 comes out next year, I could use that as an opportunity to buy a couple big SSD's and start P3D fresh on there, while using the 950 pro as a boot drive. But I would still have the issue with not having enough m.2 slots. Any thoughts or input is welcome. Here are my motherboard specs, in case I am missing something about the SSD capability:

ASUS ROG MAXIMUS VIII RANGER LGA 1151 Intel Z170

Expansion Slots

PCI Express 3.0 x16
2 x PCIe 3.0/2.0 x16 (x16 or dual x8, gray) 
1 x PCIe 3.0/2.0 x16 (max at x4 mode, black)
PCI Express x1
3 x PCIe 3.0/2.0 x1 (x1 mode, black)

Storage Devices

SATA 6Gb/s
6 x SATA 6Gb/s port(s), gray, 4 ports from 2 x SATA Express
SATA Express
2 x SATA Express port, gray
M.2
1 x M.2 Socket 3, with M Key, type 2242/2260/2280/22110 storage devices support (both SATA & PCIE mode)*1
*1 When the M.2 Socket 3 is operating in SATA mode, SATA ports 1 will be disabled.

Thanks,

Ben

P3D 4.3, Windows 10/64 bit, Intel 6700k @ 4.7 air-cooled, NVidia 2080 Ti Founders Edition, ASUS Rog Maximus VIII Ranger, 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws DDR4 @3200, Phanteks Anthoo Pro Series Case, Samsung 950 Pro M.2 500GB, Sandisk 1TB SATA, Seagate 2TB Hybrid Drive, Cooler Master 700W, 40-inch Samsung 4k TV

I don't know what the performance hit would be by putting some scenery on a HDD. But its easy to find out. I have 3 x ssd's. when I had P3D installed I had the OS on one SSD and P3D on another and stuff like ASN on the other. When all the ORBX scenery I have eat all of the space in the P3D Drive I moved the ORBX folder to the other drive and used a program called Junction Link Magic to make P3D think the file was still where it was orignally. Junction link magic is freeware and easy to use. You could move some folders on the P3D Drive into a folder on you storage drive and used Junction link magic to make it look like they are in the P3D Drive. On a HDD performance depends on the fragmentation of the drive and where the folder being accessed is physically positioned on the drive. If I remember correctly the outside edge of the drive has the highest performance.

So you can do all of that without spending a penny and decide for yourself if there is and if you can live with any performance difference.

Junction link magic is very simple to use but be careful! if you make mistakes you can screw thing up!!!!

You can try putting your scenery on that 2TB HDD, then check the performance of P3D and the scenery loading times.  I know that when the HDD that contained my installation of FSX-Accel began to fail, I replaced it with a SSD.  The load times are much faster and the pauses when loading scenery during flights was greatly reduced.  I'm not willing to go back to a HDD, but given the storage capacity and low cost of HDD's, they make great back up and storage devices.

My computer: ABS Gladiator Gaming PC featuring an Intel 10700F CPU, EVGA CLC-240 AIO cooler (dead fans replaced with Noctua fans), Asus Tuf Gaming B460M Plus motherboard, 16GB DDR4-3000 RAM, 1 TB NVMe SSD, EVGA RTX3070 FTW3 video card, dead EVGA 750 watt power supply replaced with Antec 900 watt PSU.

I am considering my options as well as I rapidly run out of space. 

I already have a 250GB SSD for Windows and P3D and a 500GB SSD for addons. I am considering a 1TB external SSD purely for Orbx. As long as I use a 3.0 USB port, would I expect any problems having the files on an external drive rather than internal? I am thinking this will future proof things as the drive can just move as other hardware gets replaced.

Edited by Ian S

Ian S

38.jpg

The good news is that new SSD drives are in the pipeline and the manufactures expect this to drop the price next year, and 4TB will become more available, WD are shutting down making the old SATA drives and going SSD only in future.

Raymond Fry.

PMDG_Banner_747_Enthusiast.jpg

Im in the same boat - 56 gb free on my 500GB 840 evo

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

hybrid HDD/SSD are a cheap way to store your ORBX/Photoscenery and not to expensive and relatively quick 

ZORAN

Thanks for the tips...sounds like the most painless way to get more space is to migrate my Orbx folder to the hybrid drive. I will give this a shot and report back my findings after a few flights. If I can hold out upgrading until the 2TB drives become more affordable/reliable, that sounds like the best case scenario if the future is indeed photoscenery. I don't want to get a 1TB drive only to run into the same situation a year or two from now.

Ben  

P3D 4.3, Windows 10/64 bit, Intel 6700k @ 4.7 air-cooled, NVidia 2080 Ti Founders Edition, ASUS Rog Maximus VIII Ranger, 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws DDR4 @3200, Phanteks Anthoo Pro Series Case, Samsung 950 Pro M.2 500GB, Sandisk 1TB SATA, Seagate 2TB Hybrid Drive, Cooler Master 700W, 40-inch Samsung 4k TV

Just to update - I have not moved any scenery to the SSHD yet but Amazon Prime has a deal today - $170 for a 1TB Sandisk 1TB SATA drive so I just pulled the trigger. Not as fast as my boot drive but pretty good bang for your buck I think, and this way I can keep P3D stuff off the SSHD. 

Ben