Sign in to follow this  
paulyg123

Can you repair 747-8 while flying

After takeoff, I toasted by brakes and blew out a few tires (because I am a really great pilot).  I tried to have my tires changed at 20,000 feet, but that option was grayed out.  (AAA would not service me over the Mohave Dessert) . So I was forced to land with bad tires causing all the liquor in first class to spill).  It was only when I came to a full stop was ground repairs made available.   Is there a setting that can be changed to allow for in flight repairs? (PMDG 777 and 737 allow it).

Edited by paulyg123

Paul Gugliotta

I still try to figure out how you managed to kill your wheels on takeoff 😂

I have never tried it so you‘ll have to wait for some team members here but you could check if it‘s possible to disable failures completely in flight. I‘m not sure though if blown tires are included into that option or wether they are a seperate „penalty“ 😄

• Upvote 1

I observed that ground maintenance while in flight was absurd during the -8 beta and PMDG agreed.  I suspect the same will be applied to the 777... and the 737 does not yet have a ground maintenance option.  You cannot even top off the engine oil in the NGX yet.

Make sure you brakes are cool before you taxi for departure.  Only use the brakes during taxi when you have to slow for a sharp turn.  With practice it is possible to taxi without braking.

Dan Downs KCRP

20 minutes ago, Captain Kevin said:

If you really want a fast way to cool the brakes, just leave the gear down for a bit. 

This is the procedure after takeoff for the 777, and I presume the QOT.  It certainly works in the T7!  But of course it won't fix melted tires.

Mike

bUmq4nJ.jpg?2

1 hour ago, Mike777 said:

This is the procedure after takeoff for the 777, and I presume the QOT.  It certainly works in the T7!  But of course it won't fix melted tires.

No, it wouldn't, that's why I hadn't mentioned anything about the tires. Your tires are toast.

Captain Kevin

nGsKmfi.jpg

Air Kevin 124 heavy, wind calm, runway 4 left, cleared for take-off.

Live streams of my flights here.

7 hours ago, paulyg123 said:

After takeoff, I toasted by brakes and blew out a few tires (because I am a really great pilot).

I suggest you report to RSR's office - he may want to have a word with you 🤣

David Porrett