Sign in to follow this  
VHOJT

980ti in 4K - where to go from here? 980ti SLI?

19 hours ago, VHOJT said:

@bbain1187

Have you given that 1x 2080ti a razz yet?  How does it do if so?

I'm happy with it. I can throw all kinds of weather and addon airports at it and never get below 30fps except at some airport ramp areas with poorly optimized dynamic lighting, and even then, that is with 4x SSAA and 4k. I can back it down to 8x MSAA at night if I need to in order to keep GPU utilization under 100%. I have all the GPU-driven graphics settings (shadows, textures, tesselation, AA) at high settings except for disabling dynamic reflections. I still get the occasional seemingly unavoidable stutters during autogen/object loading but I believe that is CPU-driven. At this point I consider the 2080 Ti a worthwhile purchase, if for no reason other than not having to worry about any performance loss flying complex airliners on takeoff and landing in any conditions and at high quality visual settings in 4k.

Ben 

P3D 4.3, Windows 10/64 bit, Intel 6700k @ 4.7 air-cooled, NVidia 2080 Ti Founders Edition, ASUS Rog Maximus VIII Ranger, 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws DDR4 @3200, Phanteks Anthoo Pro Series Case, Samsung 950 Pro M.2 500GB, Sandisk 1TB SATA, Seagate 2TB Hybrid Drive, Cooler Master 700W, 40-inch Samsung 4k TV

Thanks for this info. I have pretty much the same specs, 6700k at 4.7, DDR4 3000, but my GPU is a 1070.

I'm happy with the performance in general, but most of the gpu intensive settings are fairly low. My monitor is a 1440 and I'm using 4SSAA. I don't foresee replacing this monitor anytime soon, so a card that shreds 4k is not a must.

Perhaps a 2080 is enough to get more eye candy, DL would be nice to use without loosing 3/4 of my fps.

24 minutes ago, flytrumpet767 said:

Thanks for this info. I have pretty much the same specs, 6700k at 4.7, DDR4 3000, but my GPU is a 1070.

I'm happy with the performance in general, but most of the gpu intensive settings are fairly low. My monitor is a 1440 and I'm using 4SSAA. I don't foresee replacing this monitor anytime soon, so a card that shreds 4k is not a must.

Perhaps a 2080 is enough to get more eye candy, DL would be nice to use without loosing 3/4 of my fps.

Yeah, I definitely think the 2080 Ti is overkill if not using 4k. I'd go 2080 if I were using a 1440p monitor. But 2080 Ti if you plan on getting a 4k tv/monitor in the future (highly recommended). 

Ben 

P3D 4.3, Windows 10/64 bit, Intel 6700k @ 4.7 air-cooled, NVidia 2080 Ti Founders Edition, ASUS Rog Maximus VIII Ranger, 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws DDR4 @3200, Phanteks Anthoo Pro Series Case, Samsung 950 Pro M.2 500GB, Sandisk 1TB SATA, Seagate 2TB Hybrid Drive, Cooler Master 700W, 40-inch Samsung 4k TV

On 10/21/2018 at 4:34 PM, bbain1187 said:

Yeah, I definitely think the 2080 Ti is overkill if not using 4k. I'd go 2080 if I were using a 1440p monitor. But 2080 Ti if you plan on getting a 4k tv/monitor in the future (highly recommended). 

Ben 

I did some testing with gpuz running, and with 2048 clouds and 4SSAA my gpu usage remains at 100% pretty much all the time. I guess that can't be really good. On my 1440 monitor 4SSAA is the lowest I want to go to get shap image quality. I guess it means it's time for a 2080 series if I want to keep these settings, and potentially increasing some gpu intensive ones.

I'm obviously tempted by the TI, but not sure if my 6700k would be the bottleneck. Price and availability is also a factor.

Thanks for your input.

On 10/21/2018 at 4:34 PM, bbain1187 said:

Ben 

I did some testing with gpuz running, and with 2048 clouds and 4SSAA my gpu usage remains at 100% pretty much all the time. I guess that can't be really good. On my 1440 monitor 4SSAA is the lowest I want to go to get shap image quality. I guess it means it's time for a 2080 series if I want to keep these settings, and potentially increasing some gpu intensive ones.

I'm obviously tempted by the TI, but not sure if my 6700k would be the bottleneck. Price and availability is also a factor.

Thanks for your input.

Well, I decided against a 20xx series after all. Seems the gains would have been modest. Just turning down a few settings is making my 1070 performance perfectly acceptable.