J van E

P3D v4.3 frequently locks up without error message

Recommended Posts

After flying with P3D for years without any problems I suddenly get frequent lockups. Every now and then (like during my last two flights) the screens freezes (while the sound still works) and after a few seconds I am at the desktop. And all that without any warning or error message. P3D just quits.

I am using P3D v4.3 with AS, UTL, ChasePlane, ProATC, FTX Norway, Airports of Norway, PTA, SkyForce (clouds only) and the Majestic Q400. That's all I have installed too. Windows 10. GTX 1080. Latest versions and latest drivers.

Anyone knows how to figure out what's suddenly going on here...? Since there is no error message I have no clue what to look at. I had a look at the Windows logs but they mean nothing to me...

Share this post


Link to post
Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

No app crash means no error to capture.  I would suggest reverting to an earlier graphics card driver and see if that helps.

Share this post


Link to post
6 minutes ago, TechguyMaxC said:

No app crash means no error to capture.  I would suggest reverting to an earlier graphics card driver and see if that helps.

I'll give that a shot, thanks.

Share this post


Link to post
26 minutes ago, J van E said:

After flying with P3D for years without any problems I suddenly get frequent lockups. Every now and then (like during my last two flights) the screens freezes (while the sound still works) and after a few seconds I am at the desktop. And all that without any warning or error message. P3D just quits.

I am using P3D v4.3 with AS, UTL, ChasePlane, ProATC, FTX Norway, Airports of Norway, PTA, SkyForce (clouds only) and the Majestic Q400. That's all I have installed too. Windows 10. GTX 1080. Latest versions and latest drivers.

Anyone knows how to figure out what's suddenly going on here...? Since there is no error message I have no clue what to look at. I had a look at the Windows logs but they mean nothing to me...

I get these I would say in average 1 in every 10 flights which is annoying.

How are your CPU temps? I saw a thread indicating it may be related to this.

I have a stock i7 4790k which is not overclocked and I get up to the upper 80c. I wonder if this may be the cause.

Share this post


Link to post
15 minutes ago, Shomron said:

I get these I would say in average 1 in every 10 flights which is annoying.

How are your CPU temps? I saw a thread indicating it may be related to this.

I have a stock i7 4790k which is not overclocked and I get up to the upper 80c. I wonder if this may be the cause.

I also have an i7 4790K and it is overclocked to 4.4 but temps usually peak at 60. Next time I will however keep RealTemp running in the background for the entire flight and see if it spikes at the time I get a lockup. Thanks for the tip!

Share this post


Link to post
37 minutes ago, J van E said:

I also have an i7 4790K and it is overclocked to 4.4 but temps usually peak at 60. Next time I will however keep RealTemp running in the background for the entire flight and see if it spikes at the time I get a lockup. Thanks for the tip!

Thanks keep me updated I may need a better cooling system. I can confirm it is probably not related to the GPU since these occured with the 970 before upgrading to the 1080Ti.

Edited by Shomron

Share this post


Link to post

The AVSIM CTD Guide, page 34, has some suggestions that worked for others.  The fsuipc auto-save enabled was the most common reason for the freezes.

Share this post


Link to post

I have had lockups which seem to be related to too many AIs coming to hold position at busy airports waiting for taxi path to get cleared eg at ZGGG. It gives the apphang error of p3d stopped interacting while the static sim sound keeps playing in background.

Share this post


Link to post
11 hours ago, Jim Young said:

The fsuipc auto-save enabled was the most common reason for the freezes.

I don't use fsuipc but I was thinking about using it for autosave LOL but that won't help, I guess. 😉 (It also won't work with ProATC anyway...)

6 hours ago, him225 said:

I have had lockups which seem to be related to too many AIs coming to hold position at busy airports waiting for taxi path

I only fly in Norway and there aren't any busy airports there 😉 so I don't think that's it on my PC.

BTW I did get an update for ChasePlane twice and both times P3D locked up later on during that session. But I also had lockups without a CP update. Yesterday I did notice when turning off my PC that Windows 10 (Home) had an update waiting to be installed. One first conclusion might be that P3D doesn't like updates in the background...

From now on I will make a habit of using the ProATC save option at the start of every next phase of flight. It's annoying but not as annoying as having to do a flight all over again...

Share this post


Link to post

Jeroen,

You tried the simplest one...deleting the Prepar3D,cfg and letting it build a new one.

Share this post


Link to post
22 minutes ago, Dean_EGTC said:

Jeroen,

You tried the simplest one...deleting the Prepar3D,cfg and letting it build a new one.

Of course I didn't. Because I'm stupid. 😎 It'll be the first thing I'll do before starting up P3D the next time.

Share this post


Link to post

And if all else fails, simply remove the over-clock on your CPU and just see how things go.   It's an easy thing to try.

Mark

 

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, J van E said:

Of course I didn't. Because I'm stupid. 😎 It'll be the first thing I'll do before starting up P3D the next time.

Core temps normal?

Share this post


Link to post

Ah,  Overclocking I see.  Yes, set back to Default = first thing.  P3D will easily overstress any weak point in the Hardware.

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, mtrainer said:

And if all else fails, simply remove the over-clock on your CPU and just see how things go.   It's an easy thing to try.

Mark

 

It never gave me any problems during the last 4 years so I can't imagine that is it. Unless my hardware is going down slowly... Besides, P3D will run like word not allowed at default CPU speeds. ;) How many people here run P3D on a non-oc'd PC...?

1 hour ago, Shomron said:

Core temps normal? 

Haven't been able to fly and test this yet. Maybe tomorrow or the coming weekend. I'll keep you posted. ;)

Share this post


Link to post

Its weird as I got it in 3 different occasions using different aircraft - 

1. Approaching Pacsim KSLC while changing views in the TFDi 717

2. Approaching Flytampa KTPA in the Maddog x

3. Randomly at some point when pressing the an FMC button in the AS CRJ

 

Share this post


Link to post
7 hours ago, J van E said:

It never gave me any problems during the last 4 years so I can't imagine that is it. Unless my hardware is going down slowly... Besides, P3D will run like word not allowed at default CPU speeds. ;) How many people here run P3D on a non-oc'd PC...?

Yeah I've overclocked since my AMD K6 days, lost count of how many PCs I've built since the mid 90s, including rackmounts.  But they all eventually started developing issues after a few years so I gave up overclocking about 8 years ago and had a stable system ever since (yep no overclock me - I hate the idea of wondering if every crash to desktop had something to do with pushing the system so I just don't bother with the worry anymore....and can't recall the last time I saw a CTD).  I had Intel's very first 3.00 GHZ CPU many years ago and that thing I suspect was pushed hard from the factory just so they could say they hit the 3 GHZ mark (because it wouldn't overclock at all), but regardless it burned its poor brains out in a little less than 3 short years which was a real shame because I had about 4K sunk into that rackmount (decked out and was used for MIDI software / gigastudio / SONAR for my synth keyboards....and flight simulator).

Just saying going back to a regular clock speed is one of the easiest things to try, the CPU may showing early signs of heat damage.  Only takes 1 flaky transistor who can't handle the extra voltage or over-clock, and you'll hit that dreaded crash now and then.

Using a can of compressed air on the inside of the case might help too - these things suck in dust over the years and that can interfere with cooling.

Mark

 

Share this post


Link to post
20 hours ago, Shomron said:

Core temps normal?

Just finished a flight, with a new cfg, RealTemp running and without a lockup. Maximum peak temps of the 4 cores were 67, 72, 74 and 69 so that's perfectly fine!

I did make a habit already of using ProATC's excellent Save flight situation option. I simply use that option (when flying my Majestic Q400) at very specific times:
1. after being cleared for take off (check heading - save flight situation - full throttle)
2. when passing 10.000 ft (fasten belts off - landing lights off - save flight situation)
3. at toc (prop at 850 - save flight situation)
4. at tod (set assigned altitude - save flight situation - start descend)
5. when passing 10.000 ft (fasten belts on - landing lights on - save flight situation)

It kinda sucks having to do this but it is easy and not too cumbersome now I've added the saving step to my workflow and it eliminates all stress. 😉 And by doing it at specific times I know EXACTLY in what state it will be whenever I have to reload a flight and what I have to do!

Share this post


Link to post
20 hours ago, J van E said:

It never gave me any problems during the last 4 years so I can't imagine that is it. Unless my hardware is going down slowly... Besides, P3D will run like word not allowed at default CPU speeds. ;) How many people here run P3D on a non-oc'd PC...?

If you've not installed or updated something recently, you know there's been no changes, then maybe a hardware fault or problem has crept in.

First I would open up the PC, clean it out, and re-seat the cards - could be a poor connection - connections dirty up just because they are passing current. Re-seating cleans the connections.

I usually specify four memory cards on a new build so that two can be eliminated - (they work in pairs usually). Try that if you can - could be a memory error.

If you've recently installed stuff or received an update - eliminate that software - best bet is test a stock sim as soon as possible -don't waste time with work-arounds.

 

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now