Jump to content

Sign in to follow this  
Guest

P3D v4.3 frequently locks up without error message

Recommended Posts

Guest

After flying with P3D for years without any problems I suddenly get frequent lockups. Every now and then (like during my last two flights) the screens freezes (while the sound still works) and after a few seconds I am at the desktop. And all that without any warning or error message. P3D just quits.

I am using P3D v4.3 with AS, UTL, ChasePlane, ProATC, FTX Norway, Airports of Norway, PTA, SkyForce (clouds only) and the Majestic Q400. That's all I have installed too. Windows 10. GTX 1080. Latest versions and latest drivers.

Anyone knows how to figure out what's suddenly going on here...? Since there is no error message I have no clue what to look at. I had a look at the Windows logs but they mean nothing to me...

Share this post


Link to post

No app crash means no error to capture.  I would suggest reverting to an earlier graphics card driver and see if that helps.

Share this post


Link to post
Guest
6 minutes ago, TechguyMaxC said:

No app crash means no error to capture.  I would suggest reverting to an earlier graphics card driver and see if that helps.

I'll give that a shot, thanks.

Share this post


Link to post
26 minutes ago, J van E said:

After flying with P3D for years without any problems I suddenly get frequent lockups. Every now and then (like during my last two flights) the screens freezes (while the sound still works) and after a few seconds I am at the desktop. And all that without any warning or error message. P3D just quits.

I am using P3D v4.3 with AS, UTL, ChasePlane, ProATC, FTX Norway, Airports of Norway, PTA, SkyForce (clouds only) and the Majestic Q400. That's all I have installed too. Windows 10. GTX 1080. Latest versions and latest drivers.

Anyone knows how to figure out what's suddenly going on here...? Since there is no error message I have no clue what to look at. I had a look at the Windows logs but they mean nothing to me...

I get these I would say in average 1 in every 10 flights which is annoying.

How are your CPU temps? I saw a thread indicating it may be related to this.

I have a stock i7 4790k which is not overclocked and I get up to the upper 80c. I wonder if this may be the cause.


Shom

[P3D v4.5 HF2 running on Win 10 Pro, i7-9700K, EVGA 1080Ti, Crucial 2666 16GB, 2 500GB Samsung EVOs 850/860]

[FSLabs A320, PMDG 737 NGXu, PMDG 777, AS CRJ Pro, CS 757 iii, Fly The Maddog X, Majestic Dash 8, QW 787, TFDI 717, AS Airbus ProFeelthere E175/195 v3]

Share this post


Link to post
Guest
15 minutes ago, Shomron said:

I get these I would say in average 1 in every 10 flights which is annoying.

How are your CPU temps? I saw a thread indicating it may be related to this.

I have a stock i7 4790k which is not overclocked and I get up to the upper 80c. I wonder if this may be the cause.

I also have an i7 4790K and it is overclocked to 4.4 but temps usually peak at 60. Next time I will however keep RealTemp running in the background for the entire flight and see if it spikes at the time I get a lockup. Thanks for the tip!

Share this post


Link to post
37 minutes ago, J van E said:

I also have an i7 4790K and it is overclocked to 4.4 but temps usually peak at 60. Next time I will however keep RealTemp running in the background for the entire flight and see if it spikes at the time I get a lockup. Thanks for the tip!

Thanks keep me updated I may need a better cooling system. I can confirm it is probably not related to the GPU since these occured with the 970 before upgrading to the 1080Ti.

Edited by Shomron

Shom

[P3D v4.5 HF2 running on Win 10 Pro, i7-9700K, EVGA 1080Ti, Crucial 2666 16GB, 2 500GB Samsung EVOs 850/860]

[FSLabs A320, PMDG 737 NGXu, PMDG 777, AS CRJ Pro, CS 757 iii, Fly The Maddog X, Majestic Dash 8, QW 787, TFDI 717, AS Airbus ProFeelthere E175/195 v3]

Share this post


Link to post

The AVSIM CTD Guide, page 34, has some suggestions that worked for others.  The fsuipc auto-save enabled was the most common reason for the freezes.


Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

 

Share this post


Link to post

I have had lockups which seem to be related to too many AIs coming to hold position at busy airports waiting for taxi path to get cleared eg at ZGGG. It gives the apphang error of p3d stopped interacting while the static sim sound keeps playing in background.

Share this post


Link to post
Guest
11 hours ago, Jim Young said:

The fsuipc auto-save enabled was the most common reason for the freezes.

I don't use fsuipc but I was thinking about using it for autosave LOL but that won't help, I guess. 😉 (It also won't work with ProATC anyway...)

6 hours ago, him225 said:

I have had lockups which seem to be related to too many AIs coming to hold position at busy airports waiting for taxi path

I only fly in Norway and there aren't any busy airports there 😉 so I don't think that's it on my PC.

BTW I did get an update for ChasePlane twice and both times P3D locked up later on during that session. But I also had lockups without a CP update. Yesterday I did notice when turning off my PC that Windows 10 (Home) had an update waiting to be installed. One first conclusion might be that P3D doesn't like updates in the background...

From now on I will make a habit of using the ProATC save option at the start of every next phase of flight. It's annoying but not as annoying as having to do a flight all over again...

Share this post


Link to post

Jeroen,

You tried the simplest one...deleting the Prepar3D,cfg and letting it build a new one.


- Dean

P3Dv4 & XP11

space

Share this post


Link to post
Guest
22 minutes ago, Dean_EGTC said:

Jeroen,

You tried the simplest one...deleting the Prepar3D,cfg and letting it build a new one.

Of course I didn't. Because I'm stupid. 😎 It'll be the first thing I'll do before starting up P3D the next time.

Share this post


Link to post

And if all else fails, simply remove the over-clock on your CPU and just see how things go.   It's an easy thing to try.

Mark

 


Mark Trainer

 

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, J van E said:

Of course I didn't. Because I'm stupid. 😎 It'll be the first thing I'll do before starting up P3D the next time.

Core temps normal?


Shom

[P3D v4.5 HF2 running on Win 10 Pro, i7-9700K, EVGA 1080Ti, Crucial 2666 16GB, 2 500GB Samsung EVOs 850/860]

[FSLabs A320, PMDG 737 NGXu, PMDG 777, AS CRJ Pro, CS 757 iii, Fly The Maddog X, Majestic Dash 8, QW 787, TFDI 717, AS Airbus ProFeelthere E175/195 v3]

Share this post


Link to post

Ah,  Overclocking I see.  Yes, set back to Default = first thing.  P3D will easily overstress any weak point in the Hardware.


- Dean

P3Dv4 & XP11

space

Share this post


Link to post
Guest
1 hour ago, mtrainer said:

And if all else fails, simply remove the over-clock on your CPU and just see how things go.   It's an easy thing to try.

Mark

 

It never gave me any problems during the last 4 years so I can't imagine that is it. Unless my hardware is going down slowly... Besides, P3D will run like word not allowed at default CPU speeds. ;) How many people here run P3D on a non-oc'd PC...?

1 hour ago, Shomron said:

Core temps normal? 

Haven't been able to fly and test this yet. Maybe tomorrow or the coming weekend. I'll keep you posted. ;)

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
  • Tom Allensworth,
    Founder of AVSIM Online


  • Flight Simulation's Premier Resource!

    AVSIM is a free service to the flight simulation community. AVSIM is staffed completely by volunteers and all funds donated to AVSIM go directly back to supporting the community. Your donation here helps to pay our bandwidth costs, emergency funding, and other general costs that crop up from time to time. Thank you for your support!

    Click here for more information and to see all donations year to date.
  • Donation Goals

    AVSIM's 2020 Fundraising Goal

    Donate to our annual general fundraising goal. This donation keeps our doors open and providing you service 24 x 7 x 365. Your donation here helps to pay our bandwidth costs, emergency funding, and other general costs that crop up from time to time. We reset this goal every new year for the following year's goal.


    18%
    $4,710.00 of $25,000.00 Donate Now
×
×
  • Create New...