Sign in to follow this  
John_Cillis

A great read

My parents bought me a copy of this anniversary issue of Flying Magazine while I was hospitalized back in 1977.  I gave it to a friend who never returned it.  But luckily I found it online, on Google....  It is worthy of a look, prophetic, some 40 years ago, in many ways.  I flew to Europe that year, earlier in 1977, almost on the 50th anniversary of Lindburgh's Atlantic crossing, my first trip.  This magazine issue celebrated that flight and aviation in general and was one of the best aviation magazine issues of Flying I ever read...

https://books.google.com/books?id=SOUUuRXEFmoC&printsec=frontcover&source=gbs_ge_summary_r&cad=0#v=onepage&q&f=false

John

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Thanks for reminding me of that, John! I rarely throw out anything to do with flying and I think I have that issue in a box (one of many!) up in the attic and your post makes me want to go search for it and read it again.

Bill

• Like 1

I think it may hold the worlds record for number of advertisements in a single magazine! 🤮 😂

1 hour ago, pracines said:

I think it may hold the worlds record for number of advertisements in a single magazine! 🤮 😂

I don’t know about that. Have you ever thumbed through a woman’s fashion or fitness magazine? Those are like 98% adds and 2% journalism.

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

13 hours ago, cmpbellsjc said:

I don’t know about that. Have you ever thumbed through a woman’s fashion or fitness magazine? Those are like 98% adds and 2% journalism.

cant say I ever have or ever will, I'm a man. 🤣 --- But I get your point, people paying for a subscription to primarily be inundated with advertisements is 🤢🤮

Edited by pracines

14 hours ago, cmpbellsjc said:

Sounds like George Costanza and the "Glamour Magazine".  Are you Master of your Domain...King of the Castle?

Charlie Aron

Awaiting the new Microsoft Flight Sim and the purchase of a new system.  Running a Chromebook for now! :cool:

16 hours ago, pracines said:

Love the ads though, they are part of the nostalgia of this classic issue.  I paged thru the online link and everything is there from the magazine I had.  It is great to see it archived, for me it was the best bit on flying until simming came into my life seven years later in 1984 on a C64.  It took me two years after that magazine before I took my first general aviation flight out of Napa airport, although I had flown on gliders prior.  A high school buddy and pilot took me and a friend up at 11 O'clock at night, he saw us and recognized us and asked us if we wanted to fly with him in his 172--do not know if he owned or rented it.  I used to rent 172's and 182's for my pilot friends in Napa later on in the 80's and they'd take me up.  Then there was a long lapse in General aviation flying until I started taking light sport lessons in 2006, but I flew in commercial flights weekly for ten years, averaging about 1500 miles a week.  That and so many tourist flights I cannot even count them, especially to Europe.

John

8 hours ago, pracines said:

cant say I ever have or ever will, I'm a man. 🤣 --- But I get your point, people paying for a subscription to primarily be inundated with advertisements is 🤢🤮

Lol, I’m a man also, a straight one at that, but have leafed through them a time or two while waiting at the doctors/dentist office out of boredom. Actually men’s magazines like GQ aren’t much better, 95% advertisement, 5% content.

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Thanks for the preview John.  Looks like something to curl up in my recliner with to read at my leisure with winter coming along.  I just bought a used copy in very good condition through Amazon for 18 bucks.  Looks like it will be well worth the price.

I'll keep it next to my copy of the Sept 1995 issue of Private Pilot that contains an article I wrote.

Noel 

The tires are worn.  The shocks are shot.  The steering is wobbly.  But the engine still runs fine.