Sign in to follow this  
shivers9

9900K/9700K Overclock performance review

12 minutes ago, shivers9 said:

Thanks.....that is very interesting.The Video Starting to make me think we are getting diddled a bit by intel with some smoke (pun intended) and mirrors.

Post deleted.

I’ll defer to Westman. 

Edited by FunknNasty

8 minutes ago, FunknNasty said:

Post deleted.

I’ll defer to Westman. 

Please....I would be interested in your thoughts or anyone else. I am trying to learn and make an informed decision.

Sam

Prepar3D V5.3/12700K@5.1/EVGA 3080 TI/1000W PSU/Windows 10/40" 4K Samsung@3840x2160/ASP3D/ASCA/ORBX/
ChasePlane/General Aviation/Honeycomb Alpha+Bravo/MFG Rudder Pedals/

11 minutes ago, shivers9 said:

Please....I would be interested in your thoughts or anyone else. I am trying to learn and make an informed decision.

price/perf P3D think 9700k or 9600K ( only slightly longer load times) the fps should be the same with equal FRQ, but its up to you to decide.

Ain’t touching this subject.

In that video Roman was scratching his head....if he’s scratching his head I’m sitting down and not saying uh thing. 🙂

Edited by FunknNasty

5 minutes ago, FunknNasty said:

if he’s scratching his head I’m sitting down and not saying uh thing

I gotcha...and yes LOL the who it is made me kind of sit up and say uhhhh What!! LOL

Sam

Prepar3D V5.3/12700K@5.1/EVGA 3080 TI/1000W PSU/Windows 10/40" 4K Samsung@3840x2160/ASP3D/ASCA/ORBX/

24 minutes ago, shivers9 said:

I gotcha...and yes LOL the who it is made me kind of sit up and say uhhhh What!! LOL

I’ll give you this Sam:

i don’t have a cpu issue with where and how i fly using p3d4.3 with the 8600k. My ceiling issue is with gpu load. And I think, based on what some users here have reported, i can solve by installing another 1080ti.

The problem is i can only recommend an apex and i’m not so sure they are readily available anymore.

Edited by FunknNasty

Thanks... I am not into bragging rights for sure. I only fly GA and not really into the big heavy weight airport add ons and so that gives me a little more wiggle room than others. I was just looking at motherboards because they can make a big difference in the system. My stuff is getting old and I expect to make pretty large gains from bigger data pipes and faster memory and will spend a little extra to get some future proofing in case the RTX and the DLSS or what ever it is called actually works and makes it into P3D.

Sam

19 minutes ago, FunknNasty said:

The problem is i can only recommend an apex and i’m not so sure they are readily available anymore.

with better VRM......and.............wait.........you be lucky😶

17 minutes ago, westman said:

with better VRM......and.............wait.........you be lucky😶

Cheers! <vbg>

....It was your guidance that put me behind the wheel of an Apex. Best mobo I’ve ever owned ..by far.

Hi guys,

I am also interested in the new Intel CPUs, currently I am running 2700K @ 5GHZ stable almost three months with temps below 75 at load. How could I meaningfully compare the new Intel CPUs to mine, or event better how could I compare a potentially OCed new Intel CPU to mine? 

Regards,

ayarov

Edited by ayarov

Atanas Ayarov

5 hours ago, shivers9 said:

https://www.techspot.com/review/1730-intel-core-i9-9900k-core-i7-9700k/

In this review only 5.2 with a $400.00 Plus water cooling solution. Not very encouraged at this point.

"only"... On all cores that's not exactly bad. Don't forget it's 8 cores. Another 2-300 MHz on top of 5.2 amounts to very little in terms of frame rate. So it's not exactly the end of the world.

According to Tom Logan he managed 5 GHz on all 8 cores with just an AIO. He claims high end air would manage 5 GHz on all cores too. In my view, considering that  5.2 in the review is with the addition of two extra cores compared to 8700K its pretty good. Not sure what you guys were expecting.

Edited by martin-w

12 minutes ago, martin-w said:

"only"... On all cores that's not exactly bad. Don't forget it's 8 cores. Another 2-300 MHz on top of 5.2 amounts to very little in terms of frame rate. So it's not exactly the end of the world.

According to Tom Logan he managed 5 GHz on all 8 cores with just an AIO. He claims high end air would manage 5 GHz on all cores too. In my view, considering that  5.2 in the review is with the addition of two extra cores compared to 8700K its pretty good. Not sure what you guys were expecting.

"only" may have been a bad choice of words. I think we were maybe expecting overclocks like we got used too in the past with solder. It's not in any way a bad product that I can see. Just a bit different than what many expected to see. It's early times yet. Still a lot to look at.😀

Sam

Rather ironic that the community complained about TIM, claimed Intel were ripping them off with TIM, demanded solder.... and now they get solder and its no better than the TIM. Perhaps Intel knew what they were doing all along and as I've  argued in the past, TIM wasn't just about cost cutting. Its hard to solder modern chips without cracking the die and other issues.

As de8auer pointed out, the die is now much thicker, hence the higher temp. Perhaps a thicker die is a requirement if you solder to prevent die damage. 

Like they say... be careful what you wish for.

Just think how awesome it was in the days of Intel TIM between die and IHS. Now they were the days, it was awesome, just delid in a flash and install the most amazing liquid metal of your choice. How great of Intel to desighn their chips so we could pop the lid easy and install any of the latest liquid metal products... LOL! 

Bring back TIM Down with solder!

Demand toothpaste TIM NOW!!!   🙂

Edited by martin-w

7 minutes ago, martin-w said:

As de8auer pointed out, the die is now much thicker, hence the higher temp. Perhaps a thicker die is a requirement if you solder to prevent die damage.

Yep...I posted a week or two ago that we may be getting to the top of what can be improved performance wise with hardware at least with the Tech we know about. Both of the new cpu's and gpu's seem to indicate that.

Sam

4 minutes ago, shivers9 said:

Yep...I posted a week or two ago that we may be getting to the top of what can be improved performance wise with hardware at least with the Tech we know about. Both of the new cpu's and gpu's seem to indicate that.

BRING BACK TIM - BRING BACK TIM!  😀 How dare Intel give us solder.

I'm just kidding of course, but you have to admit, it's very amusing.

• Upvote 1